U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2019, 07:33 AM

5,097 posts, read 4,700,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
What "individual"?

Lord & Taylor has been owned by Canada's Hudson's Bay Company (the oldest commercial enterprise in North America, founded in 1670) for about a decade or so.
Vanessa LeFebvre, the new president of operations, ultimately her part with Hudson was the deciding factor for the closure.
And closing the century old flagship store in Manhattan is essentially a nail in the coffin.
L&T might make it as an online retailer, but their brick and mortar days are unfortunately doomed, which is a real shame.

But my prior point was that L&T closing was not a product of Manhattan, but a product of ownership and leadership. The issues Philadelphia has attracting retailers are not the same as Manhattan losing a flagship.

And I did hear about NM, I think they will work their way out, but it does show the line many retailers are flirting with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 02:16 PM

129 posts, read 84,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The Polo Ralph Lauren is good and Levi's, but considering its been years of branding and marketing and they were only able to get 10 average/ decent retailers shows either the poor marketing or lack of demand for the new venture.

Either way its a huge aesthetic improvement for the corridor, but hardly a new shopping destination. The movie theater will be the most exciting new addition. If the development team could get a Nike store or another Zara that would be great for foot traffic. Sometimes its not until after the fact when retailers realize they're missing out on opportunity and then join in on the fun.
City Winery will be fantastic too. I think there's still a potential for an Eataly. It's also 9 months away from opening and my guess is there's several retailers in a hover/wait/see mode both with their own internal operations as the retail market continues to be a challenge and externally with who signs onto this project, how it looks, etc.

I also think they missed the mark a bit with their marketing. They wanted a sexy, fashion-based place and I think they should have gone after more life-style brands for center city folks and downtown workers. The Bed/Bath and Beyond, Crate + Barrell, Container Store, Home Goods, style stores. are just totally underserved in CC and would do great in this bigger-box format.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
City Winery will be fantastic too. I think there's still a potential for an Eataly. It's also 9 months away from opening and my guess is there's several retailers in a hover/wait/see mode both with their own internal operations as the retail market continues to be a challenge and externally with who signs onto this project, how it looks, etc.

I also think they missed the mark a bit with their marketing. They wanted a sexy, fashion-based place and I think they should have gone after more life-style brands for center city folks and downtown workers. The Bed/Bath and Beyond, Crate + Barrell, Container Store, Home Goods, style stores. are just totally underserved in CC and would do great in this bigger-box format.
Agree, I think the original plan was to create a KoP in the city, when that caliber of retail isn't interested in the city, so it put a detour on attracting the type of retail you mentioned which would be fantastic for people in the city. Its still that people have to travel to the burbs to go to BB&B or Home Good or any other home type retailer.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:41 AM

4,042 posts, read 1,968,943 times
Quote:
Agree, I think the original plan was to create a KoP in the city, when that caliber of retail isn't interested in the city, so it put a detour on attracting the type of retail you mentioned which would be fantastic for people in the city. Its still that people have to travel to the burbs to go to BB&B or Home Good or any other home type retailer.
Actually, a HomeGoods might have fit well with the original vision.

The reborn Gallery was originally to have been called Fashion Outlets of Philadelphia. Macerich was looking to attract the upscale off-price operators like Off 5th or Last Call, plus some boutique stores and entertainment (the theater was part of the project from the get-go).

But they had a hard time finding enough of those stores to make things work, so they shifted gears slightly.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Actually, a HomeGoods might have fit well with the original vision.

The reborn Gallery was originally to have been called Fashion Outlets of Philadelphia. Macerich was looking to attract the upscale off-price operators like Off 5th or Last Call, plus some boutique stores and entertainment (the theater was part of the project from the get-go).

But they had a hard time finding enough of those stores to make things work, so they shifted gears slightly.
I thought the original plan was the fashion district, then when that failed, the fashion outlets, then when that failed the East Market plan (or whatever its called now).

I do think stores like Off 5th, Rack, etc. would do very well on that corridor, I would prefer those stores to relocate to Market St and have Crate & BArrel, Pier 1, Restoration Hardware, etc. take the place on of their current spots on Chestnut.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 309 times
It looks like Zara is leaving Walnut St. hopefully they are going somewhere else- maybe the fashion district?

[url=http://www.mscretail.com/property-listing/1715-17-walnut-street]1715-17 Walnut Street - MSC Retail[/url]

(Apologies, first time posting and I canít figure out the hyperlinking)

Last edited by mdavis202; 01-09-2019 at 11:15 AM..

Old 01-09-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavis202 View Post
It looks like Zara is leaving Walnut St. hopefully they are going somewhere else- maybe the fashion district?

1715-17 Walnut Street - MSC Retail

(Apologies, first time posting and I canít figure out the hyperlinking)
O wow, hopefully just for a renovation or moving to a new space. That would be a huge blow to Walnut if Zara left. Also a head scratcher.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:51 PM

8,575 posts, read 4,684,081 times
Quote:
O wow, hopefully just for a renovation or moving to a new space. That would be a huge blow to Walnut if Zara left. Also a head scratcher.
If the gov shutdown doesn't end soon we may "fall" into recession. Retail will be the first thing that will feel it. Hoping and praying I'm wrong!!

Old 01-09-2019, 08:19 PM

82 posts, read 48,448 times
Quote:
There’s an article from 2015 saying they would be closing for renovations for 8 months, did this ever happen? Maybe this is what’s going on.

https://www.phillymag.com/shoppist/2...ery-long-time/

Old 01-12-2019, 09:29 AM

https://www.phillymag.com/be-well-ph...-philadelphia/

Giant heirloom opening in Graduate Hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or