Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2019, 12:19 PM

192 posts, read 160,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
RTM is jammed every single day, a block away, in essentially the same " weird location". lol
RTM is a lunchtime spot for the area and also a significant tourist destination. Trader Joes will be none of these things (no prepared food at TJs).

If I have to explain why a super market located right in the middle of our Convention Center area bordered to the north by a sparsely populated hood (callowhill), Chinatown (whose residents won't use TJs), to the South by Market East, and to the West an office district - and not in, say, Society Hill (as initially rumored), Queen Village (as also rumored), or Old City - wealthy, dense, residential areas - is an odd choice...then I don't know what to tell you. lol

I doubt it will affect foot traffic or popularity simply b/c of how beloved TJs is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 01:01 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Yes my initial reaction was odd location as well.

I was really hoping they would shoot for somewhere around 3rd and Spring Garden. Lots of opportunity up there on the East side of Broad and right by the Market - Frankford Line for easy access for Old City and Fishtown residents.

My thinking is MSC sold them on the garage as taking the cake for the location and I am sure their lease term includes at least a level of the garage for parking. It definitely will ignite this portion of Arch St. And with the residential conversion down the street on Broad and Arch, this project is 100% a catalyst for street activity on North Broad St.

I probably will rarely go to this location as I live West of Broad. But I am sure many will frequent.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:21 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
but is their other location really all that different, esp when it was built

The attached parking is key in their model I would think

I walk to their other location and the RTM now, this another block from the RTM and closer for me then their other location, its not a hinderance

I think they got a sweet deal with attached parking and lets be realistic here this is what a block and a half from Dilworth plaza not some island

Old 01-25-2019, 07:31 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Yes my initial reaction was odd location as well.

I was really hoping they would shoot for somewhere around 3rd and Spring Garden. Lots of opportunity up there on the East side of Broad and right by the Market - Frankford Line for easy access for Old City and Fishtown residents.

My thinking is MSC sold them on the garage as taking the cake for the location and I am sure their lease term includes at least a level of the garage for parking. It definitely will ignite this portion of Arch St. And with the residential conversion down the street on Broad and Arch, this project is 100% a catalyst for street activity on North Broad St.

I probably will rarely go to this location as I live West of Broad. But I am sure many will frequent.
Agree, that stretch of Arch is on the dreary side compared to a few blocks south, TJ's will most definitely create heavy foot traffic from 8am-10pm (or whatever their hours are). It might even spark some additional retail or residential development in the area. People love to live near Trader Joes (similar to Whole Foods).

Old 01-25-2019, 11:21 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
I've been to Trader Joes in 4 states and DC. This is the closest to each other that I've seen them have two stores.

Not that Society Hill/Queen Village -- or Northern Liberties -- would have been "better" locations -- I just think two locations that close together is not really going to pull in that many completely new shoppers. But what do I know?.....

Old 01-25-2019, 07:42 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
RTM is a lunchtime spot for the area and also a significant tourist destination. Trader Joes will be none of these things (no prepared food at TJs).

If I have to explain why a super market located right in the middle of our Convention Center area bordered to the north by a sparsely populated hood (callowhill), Chinatown (whose residents won't use TJs), to the South by Market East, and to the West an office district - and not in, say, Society Hill (as initially rumored), Queen Village (as also rumored), or Old City - wealthy, dense, residential areas - is an odd choice...then I don't know what to tell you. lol

I doubt it will affect foot traffic or popularity simply b/c of how beloved TJs is.
I have no interest in arguing with you. lol.

However there are people who live right near there one/two blocks away. A little further away two brand spanking new residences. One of those is 40 stories high. Pretty sure folks living in them would like a market nearby.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:02 PM

2,555 posts, read 2,677,377 times
If I knew how to run a super market, I'd have wanted to start a Trader Joe's in Northern Liberties much sooner as I've seen how bad the current one in the city gets. Since the current one gets so bad that you can regularly save time sometimes by driving to one in the suburbs and save time getting your food and going back and forth constantly rather than the one in the city, you know a second location (or expansion if possible) would be needed.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:15 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Quote:
(no prepared food at TJs).
No hot prepared foods.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:04 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
If I knew how to run a super market, I'd have wanted to start a Trader Joe's in Northern Liberties much sooner as I've seen how bad the current one in the city gets. Since the current one gets so bad that you can regularly save time sometimes by driving to one in the suburbs and save time getting your food and going back and forth constantly rather than the one in the city, you know a second location (or expansion if possible) would be needed.
Trader Joes could fully support 4 Trader Joes in the city. The current one, Fishtown area, Queen Village area and Eastern Market St.

But Trader Joes as of recent only cared about expanding in the New York market. Hopefully the new competition from other grocers has woken them up.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:39 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Trader Joes could fully support 4 Trader Joes in the city. The current one, Fishtown area, Queen Village area and Eastern Market St.

But Trader Joes as of recent only cared about expanding in the New York market. Hopefully the new competition from other grocers has woken them up.
As I've said in the grocery thread, it all comes down to Lidl. It doesn't hurt that Aldi is going into that apartment building on North Broad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia