U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2019, 09:05 AM

571 posts, read 410,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
There wasn't much retail in Center City to decline, lol.

But in all seriousness, I visited the Fashion District this past weekend, a lot of foot traffic and some decent retailers. Just need to do something about the South side of Market from 11th to 6th.

I did a stroll up Walnut and Chestnut too, almost every retailer had customers inside, the city was certainly buzzing.
Yeah, agree. I also went to the Fashion District on Friday and walked throughout the mall. It was rather busy - but not "KOP Black Friday insane." There was a very heavy police and security presence, which was encouraging to see. We got a few drinks at City Winery late afternoon. Nice venue, but it was rather empty when I was there - I hope that is because we were there between meais (around 4ish), but I wonder if the reality is that the price points are just a bit stiff for the clientele I saw frequenting the mall. Overall, a pleasant experience and worlds beyond the Gallery. I just hope it can sustain sales and foot traffic on a daily basis.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 09:20 AM

5,669 posts, read 2,760,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Yeah, agree. I also went to the Fashion District on Friday and walked throughout the mall. It was rather busy - but not "KOP Black Friday insane." There was a very heavy police and security presence, which was encouraging to see. We got a few drinks at City Winery late afternoon. Nice venue, but it was rather empty when I was there - I hope that is because we were there between meais (around 4ish), but I wonder if the reality is that the price points are just a bit stiff for the clientele I saw frequenting the mall. Overall, a pleasant experience and worlds beyond the Gallery. I just hope it can sustain sales and foot traffic on a daily basis.
Keep in mind that the "New Gallery" (as many are calling it) still has only about half the retail space filled. Some of the names I've heard of retailers being added are encouraging, such as Kate Spade.

City Winery has its cake and eats it too: the establishment isn't really connected to the mall save for that small bar at one end of its concourse-level space, which CEO and founder Michael Dorf told me he hadn't originally considered including but did on the advice of his real-estate-industry connections. It's turned out to be a very good move. Meanwhile, patrons can dine and catch shows there without ever setting foot inside the mall - and you can't get to the main part of the venue from inside the mall either.

City Winery's wines are a little pricey, but I'd say its food price points are between $$ and $$$ on the usual price scales, at the upper end of the middle of the scale. I think they can attract an audience at that location and price point.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:44 AM

10,006 posts, read 5,680,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
There wasn't much retail in Center City to decline, lol.

But in all seriousness, I visited the Fashion District this past weekend, a lot of foot traffic and some decent retailers. Just need to do something about the South side of Market from 11th to 6th.

I did a stroll up Walnut and Chestnut too, almost every retailer had customers inside, the city was certainly buzzing.
That &%$@% parking lot at 8th and Market especially!

Old 12-03-2019, 10:50 AM

10,006 posts, read 5,680,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
I wonder if people really know the City Winery is there. There are public ads for the FD but I have seen nothing about CW specifically.

Hopefully FD can stay sustainable because there are people living a few minutes away who weren't there 5 years ago. Plus, I'm not so nervous about a recession coming like I was back in the summer.

Old Today, 09:47 AM

798 posts, read 1,124,529 times
I went to see what the Fashion District was like, and really liked it.

There's a lot of good retail there, and there are a few more that have yet to move in. I will definitely be doing some shopping there. I especially like the As Seen on TV store and Sketchers.

I just wish they had kept some of that 1980's decor that was in The Gallery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or