Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 10:25 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,750,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I haven't seen anything publically. No renderings. Nothing.

I feel awful for those merchants too. One of them did get space on South St.
It is typical PREIT....
I feel like they don't have a definite plan.

And I am glad one of them got a place in South Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 10:21 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,664,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
It is typical PREIT....
I feel like they don't have a definite plan.

And I am glad one of them got a place in South Street.
Well, Ron Rubin used to be quite a visionary; he's responsible for turning the Belleview, at Broad and Walnut, into a place worth going to when the Legionnaire's Disease just about killed that property.

However just look at the PREIT board. Filled with a bunch of schlerotics. The youngest person is 54. Four are in their 60s. One is 78. The last two are in their 80s.

I mean, seriously, is there a clue with those people about what people your age, and younger, actually want, and how to keep you in Philadelphia?

Old 02-23-2015, 10:09 AM

OK There is good new and bad news (or as whatev news).

GOOD NEWS
Temple's Barnes and Nobles; the one in front of Dilworth park, is going to open on March 2nd (according to the sign on the door).
And despite everybody's assumption that this will be only a school bookstore, it is not. YAASSS!
The paper / ads had been lifted from the exterior glass walls and it has a cafe. I peeked and there are bar, seating area etc etc. There are long tables like dining tables, which is kinda weird. It is kinda look like a high school cafeteria.
I don't see any books. Only some Temple's memorabilia like T-shirts, mugs and what not.
Could it be the bookstore itself is in the second floor?
The sign said "Barnes and Nobles Books and Cafe"

I will expect when it is warmer, there will be some seating outside. Occupying that empty space. And I hope it opens in the weekends.

BAD NEWS (or I call it whatever news)
The Gallery:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...der_wraps.html
Too much words, so little action!

Last edited by asiandudeyo; 02-23-2015 at 10:28 AM..

Old 02-23-2015, 02:55 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,723,438 times
the gallery will be the country's biggest total wine.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the gallery will be the country's biggest total wine.

LOL i know right?
Is it too much to ask to have it done before DNC 2016?
Here we are trying to shed that image of Philly "the ghetto city" or "Detroit 2.0". But with NOW a ghost mall littered with homeless people right in front of their hotels's doorstep for these conventioneers, that image would not change anytime soon.
I am pretty sure these old goons responsible for the Gallery (per what kby01) said must have grandchildren or niece and nephews.

God this is such a no-brainer.
No need for PRADA, Rick Owens, Dsquared, GUCCI. Just have Build-A-Bear Workshop, LEGO store, American Girls Place. They are the ultimate tourist, suburbanites and even locales traps. And maybe another Urban Outfitters closer to their HQ.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
OK There is good new and bad news (or as whatev news).

GOOD NEWS
Temple's Barnes and Nobles; the one in front of Dilworth park, is going to open on March 2nd (according to the sign on the door).
And despite everybody's assumption that this will be only a school bookstore, it is not. YAASSS!
The paper / ads had been lifted from the exterior glass walls and it has a cafe. I peeked and there are bar, seating area etc etc. There are long tables like dining tables, which is kinda weird. It is kinda look like a high school cafeteria.
I don't see any books. Only some Temple's memorabilia like T-shirts, mugs and what not.
Could it be the bookstore itself is in the second floor?
The sign said "Barnes and Nobles Books and Cafe"

I will expect when it is warmer, there will be some seating outside. Occupying that empty space. And I hope it opens in the weekends.

BAD NEWS (or I call it whatever news)
The Gallery:
PhillyDeals: Details of Gallery renovation still under wraps
Too much words, so little action!

I didn't the know the city STILL owned part of it. Oh, boy....

Old 02-24-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
LOL i know right?
Is it too much to ask to have it done before DNC 2016?
Here we are trying to shed that image of Philly "the ghetto city" or "Detroit 2.0". But with NOW a ghost mall littered with homeless people right in front of their hotels's doorstep for these conventioneers, that image would not change anytime soon.
I am pretty sure these old goons responsible for the Gallery (per what kby01) said must have grandchildren or niece and nephews.

God this is such a no-brainer.
No need for PRADA, Rick Owens, Dsquared, GUCCI. Just have Build-A-Bear Workshop, LEGO store, American Girls Place. They are the ultimate tourist, suburbanites and even locales traps. And maybe another Urban Outfitters closer to their HQ.
It's almost March, 2015. It won't be done at all by mid-2016, in time for the convention. And, consider that the Gallery is kinda connected to the Convention Center, where meetings will be going on.... Just Ugh.

I would not worry about the homeless people. We are NOT LA or SF wrt that.

Urban Outfitters' HQ is at the Navy Yard. But I guess you mean have another flagship-type store.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:45 AM

9,334 posts, read 9,191,704 times
It would honestly be better if the Galley were completely closed off to the public with construction fencing and the whole works, then people would see a huge project which would spark curiosity. If it is just sitting there barren but still open to the public, that is just embarrassing.

Its like how the Granite Run Mall is in Media, its basically abandoned, but still open to the public. Construction is not set to begin until the summer.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
It would honestly be better if the Galley were completely closed off to the public with construction fencing and the whole works, then people would see a huge project which would spark curiosity. If it is just sitting there barren but still open to the public, that is just embarrassing.

Its like how the Granite Run Mall is in Media, its basically abandoned, but still open to the public. Construction is not set to begin until the summer.
I was thinking the same thing.
I think it is better for it to be closed entirely.
I don't really understand the hesitation from PREIT's end. They seemed to be doing OK rejuvenating various malls around the NOrth East corridor.
Mind as well, demolishing everything and make it a damn huge parking lot j/k

Old 02-24-2015, 09:12 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,392,729 times
It probably was mentioned before, but I have a complaint: have any of you checked out the new (since 2014) Banana Republic outlet store at 1913 Chestnut? The place seems awfully small. But I was going in with the expectation it would be a bit larger than a normal Banana Republic store, being an outlet store, perhaps in the same size range as an Old Navy. Both BR and ON are owned by Gap.

It seems such a waste that the movie theater eyesore across the street couldn't have become the Banana Republic instead. Now THAT would have been the perfect size!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia