Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 06:45 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,012 times

Advertisements

It's Personal: Are the stars aligning for a Center City retail boom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 11:27 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Great article, and welcome!
Thanks SirGreen!

I start loving the area after I moved from FL. And I want to see the city and the metro area thrive!

Old 12-05-2012, 07:30 AM

857 posts, read 1,365,078 times
Well thats awesome, I moved to Philly from NYC some 7 yrs ago..and I recently had to move back to NYC for work..but its my favorite city outside of NYC. I too want to see the City and Metro area thrive and get the respect it deserves.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:34 AM

756 posts, read 2,117,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Except that Best Buy is dying. That'd be another empty big box to fill in two years.
Agreed. And JCPenney is also in poor shape currently.

The best bets would be Target, Kohl's and maybe Boscov's. The latter two might be reluctant however.

As for smaller chains, likely American Eagle Outfitters, PacSun, Hollister, etc. would make sense. Stores prominent in average malls targeted for the suburban teen-twenty yr. old crowd.

Abercrombie maybe too upscale for the Gallery and too young in demographic for Walnut Street.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:18 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post

The best bets would be Target, Kohl's and maybe Boscov's. The latter two might be reluctant however.

As for smaller chains, likely American Eagle Outfitters, PacSun, Hollister, etc. would make sense. Stores prominent in average malls targeted for the suburban teen-twenty yr. old crowd.

Abercrombie maybe too upscale for the Gallery and too young in demographic for Walnut Street.
Boscov's won't move into a city. They only do malls and big boxes.

Target has made some forays into opening urban locations. If the trend catches on I don't see why they wouldn't open a downtown location here. The problem is really how big retailers, who are generally attached to the suburban mall or stripmall big box format, are going to start looking at urban markets. Right now I think Target looks at Philadelphia, says "there's a store in South Philly and another in the NE... thats enough" without realizing how disconnected those locations are from everyone living in Center City. Until retailers move away from only doing suburban format stores, and recognizing there's a big market in urban cores they can't successfully tap with said suburban box stores, I don't think we'll see much more movement. Like I said, some chains are just starting to test out the urban market. Smaller retailers are already moving downtown in droves because they don't need the same square footage. It's probably a matter of time.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:45 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
Boscov's won't move into a city. They only do malls and big boxes.

Target has made some forays into opening urban locations. If the trend catches on I don't see why they wouldn't open a downtown location here. The problem is really how big retailers, who are generally attached to the suburban mall or stripmall big box format, are going to start looking at urban markets. Right now I think Target looks at Philadelphia, says "there's a store in South Philly and another in the NE... thats enough" without realizing how disconnected those locations are from everyone living in Center City. Until retailers move away from only doing suburban format stores, and recognizing there's a big market in urban cores they can't successfully tap with said suburban box stores, I don't think we'll see much more movement. Like I said, some chains are just starting to test out the urban market. Smaller retailers are already moving downtown in droves because they don't need the same square footage. It's probably a matter of time.
Rumors are Target has already signed a lease with PREIT for space in the Gallery

Old 12-06-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Well thats awesome, I moved to Philly from NYC some 7 yrs ago..and I recently had to move back to NYC for work..but its my favorite city outside of NYC. I too want to see the City and Metro area thrive and get the respect it deserves.
Awesome Sir! So your heart is still in Philly? Well my heart is still in Miami. But like what you said I want to see the city and metro area boom!

Well it just reminds me of a joke in Elvis Duran show on the radio: (Yes alot of radio stations in MIami are Manhattan based due to the amount of New Yorkers migration down there).
Anyway he asks, why does Miami have the worst driver in the country; even worse than NYC?
Answer: because all the bad drivers from NYC moved to Miami -_______________-
It's only a joke, but for some odd reason it always cracks me up

Old 12-06-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post

Yes I want Target! But please don't close my K-Mart

Well if Jack Wills can thrive on Walnut, I don't see why Abercrombie can't! I am almost in my 30s and I am still shopping there! -_______________-

On a lighter note, it is confirmed that Allen Edmonds is opening its first store in Philadelphia 2013. NOT November 2012.
BizTimes: Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin Business News | BizTimes

Old 12-06-2012, 05:57 PM

857 posts, read 1,365,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Awesome Sir! So your heart is still in Philly? Well my heart is still in Miami. But like what you said I want to see the city and metro area boom!

Well it just reminds me of a joke in Elvis Duran show on the radio: (Yes alot of radio stations in MIami are Manhattan based due to the amount of New Yorkers migration down there).
Anyway he asks, why does Miami have the worst driver in the country; even worse than NYC?
Answer: because all the bad drivers from NYC moved to Miami -_______________-
It's only a joke, but for some odd reason it always cracks me up
lol good one. Yeah I have plenty of friends who've been or go every year. A couple actually moved down there for work. Ive actually never been to miami, but I hope to get down there soon.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:52 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I believe you, but in this particular case, he's on Q102 in the morning as well. I think he's syndicated pretty much all over the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia