Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 08:33 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Correct!
Don't forget the micro apartment across the street!

I never thought about it will rival Tribeca. But I would like to see that happen!
Their festival is actually quite good and they often schedule films that are shown at the big Toronto Fest and/or the NY Film Fest. Both of those are late year festivals and lead-ins to the awards season. TriBeca happens in April and is a smaller affair but it's on par with Sundance.

It would be nice to get a more national exposure for our film festival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 11:58 AM

84 posts, read 90,138 times
Quote:
This is what I got so far:
1. CHIPOTLE
Chipotle is coming to Liberty Place. If you go to the food court, you will see a boarded-up area near the corner across-ish from Chic-Fil-A.

2. INDOCHINO
Just across from Liberty Place, Indochino is officially opened. It is located to the left of UNIQLO. It used to be occupied by Liberty Travel.

3. LIBERTY TRAVEL
Speaking of Liberty Travel, they moved one block away, closer to Modell's. I personally love how they make the building kinda chic, clean and attractive from outside. There is a huge monitor display inside that made people turned their heads around to see what's up. And on the top of that, this means one more empty storefront is filled. YAY!

4. NEW BALANCE
I heard New Balance concept store is coming to Walnut this Summer (before Under Armour!) How stealthy!

5. BANANA REPUBLIC FACTORY STORE AND GAP OUTLET STORE
Banana republic Factory store has been opened for 3 weeks now on Chestnut. And I am glad the GAP outlet across the street from it is not closed. I heard rumor that it will be closed, leaving a visible strip of blight-ness, combining that with Boyd Theatre. I talked to the manager there, and they were like "What? WHo? We are closing? Said who?" Well at least that is what she said. And the rumor was that it would be closed on Dec 2014. As up to last night when I went home, it was still there opened. Here hoping that it would not be closed.

6. MAIN FOOD COURT OF THE GALLERY MARKET EAST
Switching to the Gallery. Most of the food vendors in the main food court had been gone. IT is so sad because I love KFC. But then when I went to Books-A-Million, the manager told me that all the food vendors will be relocated toward their direction, ie closer to C21. I have no idea how it will be done. The only thing I can imagine is that, it will occupy that left area of the corridor to El. That closer area that is currently closed with glass(?) walls plastered with C21 ads.
And for Books-a-Million itself, they have not heard any news from their upper managament when they will be moved. My guess is that PREIT will just close the main food court area, leaving the wings opened for retailers to congregate, Of course in the process, it looks like Modell's has to be closed as well.

7. BARNES AND NOBLES NEAR DILWORTH PARK
It is not opened yet! (I know this is non-news). They promised it will be opened this month! I am still crossing my fingers.

8. TOP SHOP / TOP MAN????
Just some article I read about East Market. So this is just from an article I read.
Aside of MOM's, according to an article they are scouting to have another UNIQLO and wait for it....(gasp) TOP SHOP / TOP MAN! hjkjhdskjfhgsdgss! YAYYYYY!!!!! We all know how lame / incomplete their collection is in Nordstrom KOP! (Sorry Nordstrom!)

9. G-STAR AND / OR SUPERDRY????
I talked to the owner of G-Star (apparently he bought it as a franchise??) in Cherry Hill Mall; he was interested in the SuperDry jacket I wore and whereabout I got it. The way we conversed at the end sounded to me as though he was surveying what retails people in CC want / need. They said that they tried to find a location in Center City for possibly G-star and/or SuperDry. I literally begged him to open a G-Star and / or Super Dry on Walnut. So it seems to me that the dude is STILL looking to open a store somewhere in CC. Maybe he will do it in East Market development.
Just wanted to give you a little insight, Liberty travel is actually a very small part of a large Australian travel company. Liberty is the retail store front but the new Chesnut street location also includes many of their Corporate Brands on the upper floors. Not sure if anyone has been in the Liberty bit yet but you can see by the design it's very new and heavily financially backed. It is a hyperstore and the company has merged all of his leisure travel offices into one operation, the Gallery is closed. It has gone from 2 or 3, to around 30 corporate business travel employees since November 2012 in Philadelphia. They have a hyperstore in Manhattan and Boston, Philadelphia was the next to open. They just opened LA recently. They are already looking for more space in Philly as their corporate operation exbands. The Australian parent company that owns Liberty is investing heavily in the city.

Last edited by UK85; 03-10-2015 at 12:06 PM..

Old 03-10-2015, 01:52 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK85 View Post
Just wanted to give you a little insight, Liberty travel is actually a very small part of a large Australian travel company. Liberty is the retail store front but the new Chesnut street location also includes many of their Corporate Brands on the upper floors. Not sure if anyone has been in the Liberty bit yet but you can see by the design it's very new and heavily financially backed. It is a hyperstore and the company has merged all of his leisure travel offices into one operation, the Gallery is closed. It has gone from 2 or 3, to around 30 corporate business travel employees since November 2012 in Philadelphia. They have a hyperstore in Manhattan and Boston, Philadelphia was the next to open. They just opened LA recently. They are already looking for more space in Philly as their corporate operation exbands. The Australian parent company that owns Liberty is investing heavily in the city.
Awesome insight. Thanks!
Anytime I passed by the area, my eyes are always caught by the occasional Mickey and Donald dancing around (ads for Disney World) on their huge display. As a Florida transplant, that really caught my eye. And who does not love Disney World!

Old 03-10-2015, 04:25 PM

84 posts, read 90,138 times
Quote:
Awesome insight. Thanks!
Anytime I passed by the area, my eyes are always caught by the occasional Mickey and Donald dancing around (ads for Disney World) on their huge display. As a Florida transplant, that really caught my eye. And who does not love Disney World!
No problem!

Old 03-10-2015, 07:19 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
PhillyDeals: In Simon's bid for Macerich, effect on Gallery unclear

Is KOP owners trying to screw Philly shopping over!?!

Probably not

Old 03-10-2015, 08:14 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
PhillyDeals: In Simon's bid for Macerich, effect on Gallery unclear

Is KOP owners trying to screw Philly shopping over!?!

Probably not
If Simon takes control and keep the Gallery that will be a good thing.

Looks like hopes for a full Bloomingdales are fading for Center City though

Old 03-11-2015, 07:17 AM

Even though PREIT representative said that the deal -if happens- will not affect Gallery Redevelopment, I really doubt it.
not being a negadelphian, but I think it will take years before we can see the Gallery done renovated.

I don't see why Bloomies cannot open in CC - the regular st ore that is. The market in CC is healthy enough to support one.

Also I am wondering. Once Market East is completely revitalized, I wonder whether it will cannibalize retail scene in Chestnut/Walnut. Meaning people will stop flocking Chestnut/Walnut and go to Market East instead. It is bad already that alot of out-of-towners and suburbanites are not aware of the retail scenes around those 2 streets currently.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:09 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Even though PREIT representative said that the deal -if happens- will not affect Gallery Redevelopment, I really doubt it.
not being a negadelphian, but I think it will take years before we can see the Gallery done renovated.

I don't see why Bloomies cannot open in CC - the regular st ore that is. The market in CC is healthy enough to support one.

Also I am wondering. Once Market East is completely revitalized, I wonder whether it will cannibalize retail scene in Chestnut/Walnut. Meaning people will stop flocking Chestnut/Walnut and go to Market East instead. It is bad already that alot of out-of-towners and suburbanites are not aware of the retail scenes around those 2 streets currently.
It's going to take years to completely revitalize Market East. Speaking as someone who grew up here and remembers all the department stores that existed on the street, a LOT has to happen on Market to make me shop there again. It's just not on my radar at all.

Why do you think suburbanites aren't aware of shops on Chestnut/Walnut? I would wager that that's what they DO know about.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:15 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:

You kind of contradicted yourself..

You said CC market is strong enough to support a full Bloomingdales, but you are worried that the revitalization of Market East will be the downfall of Walnut/Chestnut. If you are worried that Philly cannot support the two separate shopping districts, than it certainly will not be able to support a Bloomingdales.

However, I do not think Walnut and Chestnut will be affected at all by the new Gallery.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

Why do you think suburbanites aren't aware of shops on Chestnut/Walnut? I would wager that that's what they DO know about.
Well call me stereotyping.
I guess since my part-time job is fashion related, I really pay attention to what people wear.
I live in Center City and I works in the burb. So I pay attention to what people wear in both settings.
People in the burb (the further they have from the city), have tendencies to wear something boring.
While people in the city proper wear something a little bit different - let it be they are from Rittenhouse Square or North Philly areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia