Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 AM

2,933 posts, read 4,095,724 times

Advertisements

I don't get the allure of Manayunk of Fairmount but they seem to have a really strong gravity for people moving to Philly from outside of the region. Fairmount has some really charming streets but to me it's cut and paste out of some parts of DC, Richmond or even Boston. Walking around there it lacks the character that says "this is Philadelphia".

You're just moving here, one of you will be at CHOP and the other is TBD. I would look east of CHOP just south of South St. in the neighborhoods of Graduate Hospital, Bella Vista and Queen Village. Easy 5-10 minute bus ride, bike ride or walk to the hospital. I would also look west along Spruce St. & Baltimore Ave out to about 48th or 50th St. Because the Penn campus is in between it's more like a 5-15 minute walk, bike, bus or trolley ride.

Any of these places also put you within an easy commute of the rest of Center City and University City (where most jobs in the city are) and reasonably close to the regional rail and expressways in case you're working out in the 'burbs.

Fairmount to CHOP would require a bus to trolley transfer. Fishtown would require a transfer from the El to a trolley. Manayunk would be a regional rail ride but a lot of those trains go straight to University City Station (right next to CHOP) . . . but then Manayunk would make any commute that didn't involve Center City or the I-76 corridor really inconvenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
LOL Just trying to help out. We wouldn't want the unsuspecting couple to say "Pass-yunk" to a local, would we?
It's like Dickinson St. Some locals pronounce it Dickerson or PAH-shunk. People who can read say Dickinson and Pass-yunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,628,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU09 View Post
We moved from Bethesda to Mt Airy a year ago (beautiful but wayyy too quiet with limited access to anything) and just recently bought a rowhouse in Manayunk. Love that we have our own cute, walkable neighborhood with decent dining options and an awesome trail, but are only a 20 min train ride (or drive) into center city. Our neighborhood is a good mix of students, long time yunkers, and other young professionals (20s - 30s). Good luck with the move!
Glad you found a better spot.

That trail will take you all the way down to Center City as well.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I don't get the allure of Manayunk of Fairmount but they seem to have a really strong gravity for people moving to Philly from outside of the region. Fairmount has some really charming streets but to me it's cut and paste out of some parts of DC, Richmond or even Boston. Walking around there it lacks the character that says "this is Philadelphia".
Manayunk has great nightlife and is walkable.

Fairmount is walkable and has charming tree-lined streets as well as being within proximity of Center City, public transit, Fairmount park and the Ben Franklin Parkway.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:54 PM

2,933 posts, read 4,095,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Manayunk has great nightlife and is walkable.
The whole city is walkable. The downsides of Manayunk are its distance from CC, tough parking situation, lack of frequent, rapid transit. At least Roxborough has the express buses. Ardmore, Media and West Chester are all walkable with decent nightlife (I would describe the nightlife in Manayunk as one-dimensional even if abundant). If I was going to pay Center City prices I would just live in CC.

Quote:
Fairmount is walkable and has charming tree-lined streets as well as being within proximity of Center City, public transit, Fairmount park and the Ben Franklin Parkway.
Again, for neighborhoods in the city "walkable" is redundant. Fairmount is indeed a charming neighborhood. I just think it's boring, the transit isn't that great and it's really expensive.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:26 AM

18 posts, read 29,463 times
I just moved to Rittenhouse area (21st and Walnut). The building is great, exec studio (little sleeping alcove big enough for full size bed and small table) but a large living area, small kitchen, great built in's in the closet area and bathroom, HW floors, dog friendly and steps away from everything. I pay 1210 a month, heat/HW are included. PM if you want more details. Good Luck with the move!

Old 12-29-2012, 06:01 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,837,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
What happened to Pash-unk?
I always said Pa-shunk. I didn't know it went any other way.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I always said Pa-shunk. I didn't know it went any other way.
It's Pass-yunk. Just think, Mana-yunk. Pass-yunk.

Pretty self explanatory.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:31 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,837,268 times
I've always heard it with a bit of a SH sound. But whatever.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:28 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,748,340 times
When I was growing up in this area but in the suburbs I only heard Passyunk from people in my family, old time Italians. Then I moved away. When I came back 20 years later everyone corrected me and said it was Pashunk.

Actually it was African Americans that I worked with who called it Pashunk so in the 20 years I have lived here since returning I have been using Pashunk. Only in this thread am I hearing Passyunk once again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia