Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 11:39 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,617,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Well...I didn't even mention NYC

I'm definitely not interested in any kind of "which city is betterr" argument, because I think they are silly. But I do think that people en masse aren't stupid, and likely have good reasons for living where they do, and paying what is costs to live there. I'm sure that to many people, DC and Boston do offer more that they want than Philadelphia. Sure, many people have moved to DC lately simply because they cannot live anywhere else with their particular careers, and it doesn't matter to them if they can't afford to buy a 2500 sf house there.
But I don't think it has to "make sense". And I don't think "amenities" are this easily quantifiable thing, because they are not the same thing to everyone.

You can't put a price on love. If the COL in Philly rises dramatically in the next 5 years, and it ceases to be a "bargain", which very well could happen, are you going to look to pull up stakes and move to Cleveland? (Nothing against Cleveland, but for the sake of argument that's a place that is noted for having many amenities and cheap prices). I wouldn't.

Personally, if and when when I move back to Philly, it won't be for money, or amenities.
the masses are def very stupid, thas why the masses buy things like nyc hype and think they gon have sex and the city life jus to find out a closet is bout all they can get even with all their fancy degrees, many people move to nyc jus to say they're from nyc, if thats not stupid then i don kno what is
and obviously money is not the only factor, thas why im thinkin bout movin to philly for example, but im not thinkin bout movin to ohio or texas cuz i dont wan live there even tho its very cheap, but a huge step down from nyc/northern nj and eryth else on the east coast

Old 12-18-2012, 11:40 AM

11,999 posts, read 12,858,763 times
Quote:
But I do think that people en masse aren't stupid
I think this is where we differ lol.

Quote:
You can't put a price on love. If the COL in Philly rises dramatically in the next 5 years, and it ceases to be a "bargain", which very well could happen, are you going to look to pull up stakes and move to Cleveland? (Nothing against Cleveland, but for the sake of argument that's a place that is noted for having many amenities and cheap prices). I wouldn't.

Personally, if and when when I move back to Philly, it won't be for money, or amenities.
Agree completely. Everyone's circumstances are different, and I feel family/friends/significant others play a huge part for a lot of people. If the COL in Philly were to rise dramatically, it would mean more money is moving into the city, which has plenty positives/negatives. It would be exciting, but there are also some drawbacks to gentrification. Cleveland's ok but I really only see myself living near a Coast or Chicago. It is probably true that today, Philly is the cheapest major city with those options. Houston may actually be #1 but it doesn't really offer the same urban lifestyle.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 12-18-2012 at 11:55 AM..

Old 12-18-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I think this is where we differ lol.

Agree completely. Everyone's circumstances are different, and I feel family/friends/significant others play a huge part for a lot of people. If the COL in Philly were to rise dramatically, it would mean more money is moving into the city, which has plenty positives/negatives. It would be exciting, but there are also some drawbacks to gentrification. Cleveland's ok but I really only see myself living near a Coast or Chicago. It is probably true that today, Philly is the cheapest major city with those options.
theres a lot of vacant housing and a lot of land in philly, and it was losin population for decades and only recently started to recover so its gon be a while b4 it gets that expensive
philly prolly gon be more like chicago, gettin bigger, better, but remain pretty affordable, esp comparing to boston, dc and nyc

Old 12-18-2012, 11:52 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,626,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
the masses are def very stupid, thas why the masses buy things like nyc hype and think they gon have sex and the city life jus to find out a closet is bout all they can get even with all their fancy degrees, many people move to nyc jus to say they're from nyc, if thats not stupid then i don kno what is
and obviously money is not the only factor, thas why im thinkin bout movin to philly for example, but im not thinkin bout movin to ohio or texas cuz i dont wan live there even tho its very cheap, but a huge step down from nyc/northern nj and eryth else on the east coast
Ok, I get that your thing is ranting about "nyc hype". A huge number of people from various places absolutely hate NYC with a seething irrational passion, too. Also hype.
And I'm sure that there are many many people who would say that people are very stupid for wanting to move to a city like Philly, or anyplace on the east coast. It kind of doesn't matter, does it?

Old 12-18-2012, 11:57 AM

31,924 posts, read 34,421,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
chicago got wealth, why is it way cheaper than DC then?
Not as much as DC. According to American Fact Finder, 12.7 percent of households in the Washington-Alexandria MSA earn $200,000 or more compared to 5.5 percent in the Chicago MSA. 43 percent of households in the DMV earn more than $100,000 compared to appromiately 25 percent for thr Chicago MSA.

That's a big difference, no?

And that's not even accounting for the foreign presence in DC.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Ok, I get that your thing is ranting about "nyc hype". A huge number of people from various places absolutely hate NYC with a seething irrational passion, too. Also hype.
And I'm sure that there are many many people who would say that people are very stupid for wanting to move to a city like Philly, or anyplace on the east coast. It kind of doesn't matter, does it?
i jus use the nyc hype as an example cuz its been brought up in this thread, since we comparin COL
movin to philly or other east coast cities is not hyped as movin to nyc so its not stupid, maybe thas what u really wan do, and of course not eryone who moves to nyc is stupid, for some people it works out better cuz maybe they wan work at the finance jobs that only nyc offers or whateva, but im talkin bout in general, people are stupid and follow trends blindly whether its nyc, abercrombie, skinny jeans or dumb radio songs

Old 12-18-2012, 12:12 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,986,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
NYC is our London or Tokyo. It is where the most opportunity is and where the highest demand for real estate and business is.
It offers amenities and urbanity that cannot be duplicated anywhere in the country.

The COL there, while outrageous, makes complete sense.
I agree with this, most people don't understand how much NYC really offers. Searching for programming jobs in San Fran I find 3.6k. In NYC it is 5.8k AND it pays an average $10k more. In Philly I find 0.6k.

However you only need 1 job... San Fran is set to have more income tax then NYC and Philly has a pretty high one too. All things considered quite frankly I think NYC is actually still cheap.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:19 PM

31,924 posts, read 34,421,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I agree with this, most people don't understand how much NYC really offers. Searching for programming jobs in San Fran I find 3.6k. In NYC it is 5.8k AND it pays an average $10k more. In Philly I find 0.6k.

However you only need 1 job... San Fran is set to have more income tax then NYC and Philly has a pretty high one too. All things considered quite frankly I think NYC is actually still cheap.
I was with you until the part in bold.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post

try gettin one of these jobs tho, IT field in nyc is very difficult rite now
and LOL at the bolded

Old 12-18-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Not as much as DC. According to American Fact Finder, 12.7 percent of households in the Washington-Alexandria MSA earn $200,000 or more compared to 5.5 percent in the Chicago MSA. 43 percent of households in the DMV earn more than $100,000 compared to appromiately 25 percent for thr Chicago MSA.

That's a big difference, no?

And that's not even accounting for the foreign presence in DC.
i still think thats not the main factor, dc exploded in growth so there is not enuff housin plus the height limit really limits the ability to build in dc so eryth has to be outside and theres only so much space outside thats close enuff to jobs and not far from public transportation, which is pretty limited in the dc area (traffic is very bad there so drivin to jobs is hard)
not to say that wealth is a non factor, it def is, but its not the main one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia