Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,159,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post

Read more at Men's Health
Mens Health always always always has a negative spin on Philly. Something had to happen behind the scenes with the magazine editors/Philly. I believe the magazine is based in Emaus PA which is only 30-40 miles N of the city. Theres more than meets the eye here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 02:23 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,884,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
It's all preference. If you like Italian girls your gonna like the northeast better. If you like hispanic girls your gonna like the west coast better. If you like black girls your gonna rather live in Detroit then Minneapolis. The thing about SoCal is that people generally have healthier skin due to not being exposed to the harsher climates. While some may not like the Philly accent, others (like myself) cannot stand that upper midwest accent that pierces your ears. I'd take an Italian South Philly girl any day over a gold diggin' valley girl from SoCal.

I think the reason girls in the northeast are talked down upon by outsiders is because they have more dominant personalities. For a guy from the West Coast or the South they're probably more intimidating when compared to girls from other parts of the country. A guy from Laguna Beach would probably crap his pants when he hears the mouth on a girl who grew up on Snyder Ave in South Philly.
Welll......I don't know about guys crapping their pants but who wants to date that type of girl?
I'm sure there's dudes that do but to each his/her own. Philly is bigger than South Philly and 100X's bigger than 10th & Anywhere. LA is way bigger than Laguna Beach and there are plenty of females with attitude and foul mouths (Not quite like Philly though..lol) We're talking about females in general from teens to seniors. The LA area just has "More" better looking people overall. California just does in general. In my opinion, because it's a place that continually attracts people from all walks of life and over the years many of them have migrated to become apart of that California dream....Whatever that is. lol The weather, food, and fitness, and striving to have "That Look" only enhances the culture of feeling good and looking good. 24hr gyms, yoga & pilate studios, various types of dance studios, etc; has been a way of life out there for decades now. Other places have just caught on en mass within the last 10-15 years and still are not even close to SoCal.

I've been to a few of the gyms here..............Don't get me started. Let's just say WaWa's & Fat Andy's Diner are in no danger of losing clientele. lol
I can look at the pages of family & friends on the east & west coast, mainly Philly & LA and when they're out & about on the town I can clearly see a difference in looks. You know how everyone loves to pose at the club/bar/restaurant their at for the evening? Well it's just a big difference when comparing the ladies in Cali & the ones in Philly. Even after being a photographer for two years in Atlanta and returning to California recently, I could clearly see the contrast. There are some gorgeous ladies in Philly but still not nearly as many or on the level as girls in LA. Also how many women in their 30's, 40's, or 50's are keeping it together? I'm in my 40's and have been to a few gatherings in town & could count on one hand how many women were in shape and not overly made up with face paint. lol
Just two weeks ago I was at an event in Berkley and OMG.., there were women in their late 50's who had it ALL together. A few young ladies there that I was shooting showed up with their mothers and trust me.., I was really feeling their mom's vibes. lol As I said, there's just a difference and not as many "alkies."

Old 01-05-2013, 09:15 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,395,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
Welll......I don't know about guys crapping their pants but who wants to date that type of girl?
I'm sure there's dudes that do but to each his/her own. Philly is bigger than South Philly and 100X's bigger than 10th & Anywhere. LA is way bigger than Laguna Beach and there are plenty of females with attitude and foul mouths (Not quite like Philly though..lol) We're talking about females in general from teens to seniors. The LA area just has "More" better looking people overall. California just does in general. In my opinion, because it's a place that continually attracts people from all walks of life and over the years many of them have migrated to become apart of that California dream....Whatever that is. lol The weather, food, and fitness, and striving to have "That Look" only enhances the culture of feeling good and looking good. 24hr gyms, yoga & pilate studios, various types of dance studios, etc; has been a way of life out there for decades now. Other places have just caught on en mass within the last 10-15 years and still are not even close to SoCal.

I've been to a few of the gyms here..............Don't get me started. Let's just say WaWa's & Fat Andy's Diner are in no danger of losing clientele. lol
I can look at the pages of family & friends on the east & west coast, mainly Philly & LA and when they're out & about on the town I can clearly see a difference in looks. You know how everyone loves to pose at the club/bar/restaurant their at for the evening? Well it's just a big difference when comparing the ladies in Cali & the ones in Philly. Even after being a photographer for two years in Atlanta and returning to California recently, I could clearly see the contrast. There are some gorgeous ladies in Philly but still not nearly as many or on the level as girls in LA. Also how many women in their 30's, 40's, or 50's are keeping it together? I'm in my 40's and have been to a few gatherings in town & could count on one hand how many women were in shape and not overly made up with face paint. lol
Just two weeks ago I was at an event in Berkley and OMG.., there were women in their late 50's who had it ALL together. A few young ladies there that I was shooting showed up with their mothers and trust me.., I was really feeling their mom's vibes. lol As I said, there's just a difference and not as many "alkies."
Heck I'm from central NJ and I can't even stand the accents around here But I agree,people in other parts of the country are more traveled and have less of that 'local gossip' type of thing...that coupled with the shrill tones around here and I'm walking away The way you described CA is what some of NJ tries to be at least...exclusive,health clubs,etc. Just hang out in towns like Marlton or Voorhees for that You'll also see a sliver of that in center city,on weekends anyway; People around here may think that people who try to better themselves are 'snobby',but that's just a bit of the ghetto mentality....rather than better yourself,it's easier to sit back and criticize those that do. And they call us negative

Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 AM

9,310 posts, read 12,903,822 times
Quote:
Heck I'm from central NJ and I can't even stand the accents around here But I agree,people in other parts of the country are more traveled and have less of that 'local gossip' type of thing...that coupled with the shrill tones around here and I'm walking away The way you described CA is what some of NJ tries to be at least...exclusive,health clubs,etc. Just hang out in towns like Marlton or Voorhees for that You'll also see a sliver of that in center city,on weekends anyway; People around here may think that people who try to better themselves are 'snobby',but that's just a bit of the ghetto mentality....rather than better yourself,it's easier to sit back and criticize those that do. And they call us negative
The way you described Marlton or Voorhees applies even more to suburbs like Haddonfield, the Main Line, and Central Bucks (among others), not to mention Mt. Airy/Chestnut Hill, most of Center City, the hip parts of near North and South Philly (among still others).

It's also not hard to avoid the "ghetto mentality" if you don't run in ghetto circles.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:53 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,395,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
It's also not hard to avoid the "ghetto mentality" if you don't run in ghetto circles.
It's not hard to run into it at all in Philly

Old 01-05-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
It's not hard to run into it at all in Philly
See, I don't care about some stranger I walk by on the street. I don't bother them, and 99% of the time, they don't bother me. If, on the off-chance, they make some snide remark, I laugh it off. This idea that working-class people don't exist in other major cities is hilarious to me, unless, of course, they're confined to some Warsaw-style ghetto.

What matters to me is how my own friends behave. I'm not in the dating game at the moment, but if I wanted the opportunity to meet a like-minded young lady, I'd have no trouble finding her.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:04 PM

133 posts, read 274,341 times
All of this talk about LA, South Philly, and the suburbs. Everybody knows the best-looking people are from Northeast Philly.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:28 PM

266 posts, read 408,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post

Yeah I think places like LA, NYC, and Miami attract more good looking people in general because of things like modeling and such. Certain climates seem to age people faster too. For some reason I always felt people on the west coast looked younger then they actually were. I still think there are plenty of good looking girls in the Philadelphia area though, especially in the suburbs. Again, everyone has their preference. I like Italian girls and I'm gonna find more of them in the Philly/Jersey/NYC area then anywhere else in the country. IDK how Philadelphia can be ranked as one of the worst cities for men though. I mean what can a man do in Boise, Idaho that he can't do in Philadelphia?

Old 01-05-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Wow.. All this time I had heaven for a woman! daym
LOLOLOL

How do you know I'm not a lesbian though,

In all seriousness, I undersfand the username throws people off. Keep in mind though, it's the name of my favorite golf club, a most manly stick played in a most manly game.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:33 PM

630 posts, read 989,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Michigan?!?! That's where I'm from now and I do not have a clue what you are referring to, foo cities :P
Lansing and Grand Rapids! Love those hot blondes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia