U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 01:47 PM

4,887 posts, read 12,190,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
If you want my honest opinion, I've worked in Media before and the place is a cesspool. It seems culturally deprived and is full of folks who make me ashamed to be white. You don't really fit into Media unless you're one of two extremes: either white and very middle class, or a minority and on welfare. And yet, despite the snobby bad attitudes of most of the white people there, it doesn't have the amenities people expect from a "suburb". Most of the buildings are old and decrepit, there aren't any fun shopping centers, and it's just so crowded with no open space or fresh air. Traffic is a living hell.
I dont believe there are any old and decrepit buildings in Media let alone "MOST". Its one of the nicer old towns you will find.

As far as lack of parks and open space what about Rose Tree Park? Ridley Creek State Park which is 2600 acres? Springton Lake?

Shopping? State Street and Springfield and Granite Run Mall are closeby.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog2022 View Post
Is aston a good town to live in? How are the schools and what type of home prices would you see here? Is there a downtown area? Thanks.
Yes Aston is a good place to live but its a mid 20th century town. Think mix of 50's-80,s era cape cods, ranchers,bungalows with strip malls, and a vareity of apartment complexes. Scattered newer housing in the portion that shares a boundary with Middletown Township.

The area towns that have downtowns?

Media
Swarthmore
West Chester
Kennett Square
Downingtown
Phoenixville
Conshohocken
Norristown
Ambler
Glenside
Jenkintown
Doylestown

and Im sure I missed a few.

Good luck

Old 02-17-2013, 02:04 PM

735 posts, read 916,029 times
Aston's solidly middle to upper-middle class. The school district is above-average, though it gets pulled down a bit by Parkside. You can find plenty of nice houses in Aston, and the home prices vary. There's things to do in Aston but there is definitely no "downtown". It's a typical middle to upper-middle class suburb really.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I dont believe there are any old and decrepit buildings in Media let alone "MOST". Its one of the nicer old towns you will find.

As far as lack of parks and open space what about Rose Tree Park? Ridley Creek State Park which is 2600 acres? Springton Lake?

Shopping? State Street and Springfield and Granite Run Mall are closeby.
Don't even bother with him. I don't believe a single one of his stories.

Quote:
Yes Aston is a good place to live but its a mid 20th century town. Think mix of 50's-80,s era cape cods, ranchers,bungalows with strip malls, and a vareity of apartment complexes. Scattered newer housing in the portion that shares a boundary with Middletown Township.

The area towns that have downtowns?

Media
Swarthmore
West Chester
Kennett Square
Downingtown
Phoenixville
Conshohocken
Norristown
Ambler
Glenside
Jenkintown
Doylestown

and Im sure I missed a few.

Good luck
You did, yes. Clifton Heights, Upper Darby, Yeadon, Lansdowne, every town on the Main-Line, Oxford, Bristol, Darby, Ridley Park, Chester, Marcus Hook... and I'm probably forgetting a few myself.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
Don't even bother with him. I don't believe a single one of his stories.

You did, yes. Clifton Heights, Upper Darby, Yeadon, Lansdowne, every town on the Main-Line, Oxford, Bristol, Darby, Ridley Park, Chester, Marcus Hook... and I'm probably forgetting a few myself.
The Main Line towns may be over budget .

Ridley Park is a nice little residential area but I dont know if I would classify their little business district as a downtown.

Oxford is a bit isolated for my tastes.

Im not recommending Yeadon,Bristol,Darby,Chester, Marcus Hook to anyone. And Upper Darbys downtown has seen much better days.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
The Main Line towns may be over budget .

Ridley Park is a nice little residential area but I dont know if I would classify their little business district as a downtown.

Oxford is a bit isolated for my tastes.

Im not recommending Yeadon,Bristol,Darby,Chester, Marcus Hook to anyone. And Upper Darbys downtown has seen much better days.
You're wrong about Upper Darby's downtown. It's much better than what it was ten years ago. I was simply naming places in the area though since that's what it seemed like you were doing. You did mention Norristown, after all.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:15 PM

24 posts, read 58,800 times
We are also contemplating any nice suburb near or around the PA/MD border that may bring affordability, great schools, safety and just all round nice place to raise kids. If you have any input with other towns that we may want to consider, we would be all ears. Our sense of affordability would not be spending more that around 300K for a home. Schools are our first priority. Thanks. Any one ever heard of Glen Rock or New Freedom? I can't find any information about towns in that area.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 AM

2,877 posts, read 4,388,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog2022 View Post
Any one ever heard of Glen Rock or New Freedom? I can't find any information about towns in that area.
Those towns are in York County...not in the Philadelphia forum area. I'd post in the Pennsylvania forum to get more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia