U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2013, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,702 posts, read 11,361,032 times
Reputation: 3539

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
True but its more then slightly. Abington is $75,700 and Cinna is $87,400 median household. Ab is way bigger tho.. 56k to 14k people
Again, you are comparing one of the wealthiest areas of South Jersey to a middle class area of Bucks County, PA. Stop cherry picking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2013, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,702 posts, read 11,361,032 times
Reputation: 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I understand. i was just pointing out what I have found over many years of living. That was not just for you but for everyone. Everyone (including us)wants to live in a low tax area that is top notch in every respect and its just not there. I don't want people going crazy trying to find this illusive area

That said, look at Southampton, Langhorne, and even Newtown. Newtown is VERY nice
Newtown is VERY expensive too. Doubt the OP will find many apartments in Newtown either, they are mainly homes... and if he does find an apartment, it won't be in the $850-$900 range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
133 posts, read 218,830 times
Reputation: 78
I know you are looking for a suburb, but you can also try looking Northeast Philadelphia. I would confine my search to all areas north of Magee Ave. All of these areas are middle-class and safe for the most part. The best neighborhoods in NE Philly include Rhawnhurst, Fox Chase, Bustleton, Somerton, and Torresdale. All areas should be within your price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 06:15 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,780 posts, read 17,804,283 times
Reputation: 2295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Again, you are comparing one of the wealthiest areas of South Jersey to a middle class area of Bucks County, PA. Stop cherry picking.

Didn't you write that I was picking a richer area in pa and a middle class area in NJ thus the taxes were less in NJ a few posts back? Why YES you did..

"That is because Montgomery County on the whole is a wealthier county than anywhere in South Jersey. You can't compare Upper Class areas to Middle Class areas Frank. On average, the middle class resident will pay LESS in taxes in the PA suburbs than in the NJ suburbs... but you are right, a good amount of the time, there is little to no difference."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 06:19 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,780 posts, read 17,804,283 times
Reputation: 2295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Newtown is VERY expensive too. Doubt the OP will find many apartments in Newtown either, they are mainly homes... and if he does find an apartment, it won't be in the $850-$900 range.

Yea I know but the op was looking for a safe area with good schools and Newtown fits the bill. And is a walkable town too.

Home

Welcome to Newtown Borough, Bucks County, PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 12:30 AM
 
Location: North Palm Beach, Florida
11 posts, read 21,517 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom605 View Post
I know you are looking for a suburb, but you can also try looking Northeast Philadelphia. I would confine my search to all areas north of Magee Ave. All of these areas are middle-class and safe for the most part. The best neighborhoods in NE Philly include Rhawnhurst, Fox Chase, Bustleton, Somerton, and Torresdale. All areas should be within your price range.

We're not city people. I grew up on five acres of land. I like lots of trees and all that jazz. I have no desire to live in a city. Ill commute there for work, hell i'll commute anywhere for work, but I wont live in the city. Boom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 AM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,780 posts, read 17,804,283 times
Reputation: 2295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambeezy View Post
We're not city people. I grew up on five acres of land. I like lots of trees and all that jazz. I have no desire to live in a city. Ill commute there for work, hell i'll commute anywhere for work, but I wont live in the city. Boom

Im with you sambreezy. There's noting like hearing crickets at night and birds in the morning as opposed to helicopters, police sirens and loud car steroes huh?

You will like Newtown..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 PM
 
Location: North Palm Beach, Florida
11 posts, read 21,517 times
Reputation: 11
Right on frank there really is nothing like it, and believe me I'll be looking into every town you guys listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 AM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,780 posts, read 17,804,283 times
Reputation: 2295
My wife was South Philly born and raised Philly girl and did not think she could EVER get used to not being in the city. Now she cant stand the city.. Its really quite easy to get used to clean, safe open areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 10:49 AM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,393 posts, read 9,435,217 times
Reputation: 4575
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Im with you sambreezy. There's noting like hearing crickets at night and birds in the morning as opposed to helicopters, police sirens and loud car steroes huh?

You will like Newtown..
I'm not so sure they'll be able to afford Newtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top