U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 02:31 PM

11 posts, read 21,514 times

Advertisements

I live in Florida now but once I'm out of school in about a year or so my girlfriend and I plan on moving to Pennsylvania. We're both originally from South Jersey (Williamstown/gloucester county) and have no intention of moving back. We're trying to find where safe areas are outside of philadelphia but once we find apartments we like I look up the town and I find that the town is not safe at all. Im in school to be a diesel mechanic and she is in business administration, so I figured Philadelphia is a good place to look for a job. I just need input from real people not some site that uses statistics. Any suburb of philly is fine we just are NOT city people. We also dont want to pay more than $850-$900 a month for an apartment. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 03:19 PM

933 posts, read 1,538,648 times
Almost all of Philadelphia's suburbs are very safe. With the exceptions of Norristown, Camden, Wilmington, Coatesville and Chester, you'd be safe anywhere in Greater Phila.

Here's a list to start with:

Collegeville
Phoenixville
Spring City
Royersford
Pottstown
Downingtown
West Chester
Paoli
Springfield
East Norriton
Plymouth Meeting
Blue Bell
Drexel Hill

I could go on, but you get the picture.

Curious why you're not interested in returning to the Jersey suburbs, though. There are lots of safe burbs on that side of the Delaware, too.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:44 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,355,585 times
Philadelphia has BIG suburban business districts in Montgomery County, South Jersey and Bucks County. Even if you don't want to live in South Jersey, you can still work there... and even if you don't want to live in the city, you can still work there. Langhorne, PA may be in your price range.

I live in the city and don't know much about the suburbs outside of Bucks Co., so this would probably be best if moved to the Philadelphia forum so some of the suburbanites there can give you better information and suggestions.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:08 PM

7,780 posts, read 17,798,082 times
Keep in mind that if you live or work in Philly you may a flat 4% wage tax.. be careful. Try to find a job outside the city for an instant 4% raise

Old 01-03-2013, 06:09 PM

You do know that generally apartments in NJ are cheaper then PA.. At least that what I have been told.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:21 AM

Housing is cheaper in NJ vs PA but NJ has higher taxes. I guess I should clarify that we will work pretty much anywhere but really want to live in PA and a Philly suburb appeals to us. Also once we're there we can get a feel for surrounding areas and decide where to buy a house. Thank you for all the input I really appreciate it!

Old 01-04-2013, 08:30 AM

2,373 posts, read 2,829,275 times
As others have said, there are very few places in the 'burbs that aren't safe. If you avoid the places that BT88 mentioned you'll be more than fine . . . and I would even argue that Norristown, Wilmington and Coatesville have some bad neighborhoods but they also have really nice neighborhoods and are in completely different leagues from Camden and Chester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambeezy View Post
Housing is cheaper in NJ vs PA but NJ has higher taxes.
This isn't true.

It's especially not true at the lower income tax brackets because income tax in PA is not progressive and because most PA suburbs have a 1% wage tax and the chances of both living and working in towns without one is slim.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:56 AM

Well all I've ever heard from people who live in NJ or have lived in NJ is that NJ has ridiculous taxes and that each county could have its own set of B******t taxes. So I'd rather not move back lol, plus I want to set up shop in a new place. But Im very glad to hear that most of the burbs are safe. Its already making the process of researching A LOT easier. This site/forum has already proved itself to be an awesome awesome tool.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Housing is cheaper in NJ vs PA but NJ has higher taxes. I guess I should clarify that we will work pretty much anywhere but really want to live in PA and a Philly suburb appeals to us. Also once we're there we can get a feel for surrounding areas and decide where to buy a house. Thank you for all the input I really appreciate it!

Generally, the philly burbs and the Jersey burbs have the same taxes for the same value home. I know cause that what we experienced while looking for a home 4 years ago

Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Well all I've ever heard from people who live in NJ or have lived in NJ is that NJ has ridiculous taxes and that each county could have its own set of B******t taxes. So I'd rather not move back lol, plus I want to set up shop in a new place. But Im very glad to hear that most of the burbs are safe. Its already making the process of researching A LOT easier. This site/forum has already proved itself to be an awesome awesome tool.
Not true for south Jersey. In fact my co worker in Montgomery county pa with a smaller home pays more taxes then us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia