U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 07:21 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,525,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB52 View Post
I'm looking to spend no more than $1,000 a month if possible.
If you are commuting by car you need a safe, reliable place to keep your car. In Center City add between two and three hundred dollars for that. Add a minimum of 100. for utilities. Now knock roughly 4% off your gross salary to pay the city wage tax. Your budget is not realistic for Center City.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 01:30 PM

53 posts, read 67,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Manayunk is cool philly neighborhood but lets not get carried away. It does NOT offer anywhere near "everything that Center City offers". It offers much of what Center City offers but at a much smaller scale and without even a fraction of the variety. Sure Manayunk has a cool nightlife and nice restaurants and if you live there you certainly don't have to head downtown to have a good time, but let's not get it twisted with the urban center of 6 million people.

Plus if you move to Manayunk you had better be sure to like the scene in Manayunk because easy access to downtown is certainly not one of Manayunk's strong suits. That's not to say it's hard to get downtown, but compared to many of the other desirable philly neighborhoods that mostly cluster around CC and are a short walk away from downtown, Manayunk is comparably off the beaten path.

As you say, living in Manayunk would offer a MUCH better commute to work than basically every other desirable neighborhood in philly and quite drastically better in some cases, and so I do agree that living in Manayunk is a good option and a smart choice to consider. I just wanted to point out that while Manayunk may be a good alternative to living in CC, it is NOT CC, and stating that it offers everything CC does is setting someone up for some MAJOR disappointment.
Thanks for this. This is my concern choosing Manayunk over Philly since Philly offers alot more. I mapquested how long it would take from my office to both Manayunk and Philly and Philly is only 10-15mins further, so not much farther. This is assuming I get a place in Center City. After talking with younger guys in my office who live in Philly I think I'm going to get a place there. I just need to find an affordable apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
I'd suggest living just north of Center City or in South Philly. I used to live around Broad and Girard (just north of center city) and it was perfect. Basically a 10 minute walk or 2 minute subway ride to Temple U, 15 - 20 minute walk or 5 minute subway ride to Center City [which you can go into West Philly (UPenn, Drexel..) or Olde City (bars) for free at the City Hall interchange], or you can keep riding it down to South Philly or the stadiums. At this location there was literally everything I needed within a 5 minute walk (CVS, grocery store, fast food, etc..). Also around this area you will be able to find affordable housing to fit your budget. I lived in a brand new nice 2 bedroom apartment for 1,000 a month + utilities. Crime was never an issue. I was 20 when I moved to this spot and had previously been living in Fairmount. While Fairmount was a nicer overall area this spot was way better for someone of your (or our) age as I felt it was one of the most "convenient" spots for someone in there early 20's. Also getting out of the city was very easy. It only took about 5 minutes to hop onto the Vine Street Expressway (676) which then merges with 76 (which I'm guessing you would take to work). Basically at this spot I felt I was always just a few steps away from going anywhere in the city.

South Philly is another good spot. Plenty to do, affordable, a lot of young people. Never lived there but have plenty of friends there. The only knock would be that depending on where you live it might take a little while longer to get out of the city and get to work. Also, the thing about South Philly is a lot of the neighborhoods are very family oriented so if your moving in you might want to make sure there are other people your age on or around the block. At the Broad and Girard area it was basically 2/3 people between the ages of 20 - 30 and 1/3 families whereas South Philly the percentage will probably be in the other direction.
Thanks for the advice, this is what I was looking for! It sounds like center city or just north of it would be perfect for me. South Philly is probably too far into the city but I will check that out as well. Good to hear that you were able to find a nice 2 bedroom apartment for $1,000/month, that bodes well for me in my search for a single apartment. I definitely like how everything is within a five minute walk for you. My ideal situation is to walk/bike to work in the city, but the company I am with now treats employees very well and we have good amenities so I am loyal to them. Is parking a problem for you where you are at now?

General question for anyone: Is biking feasible in Philly or is there too much traffic? I plan on doing some biking along boat house row, but what about as a means of transportation in the city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
If you are commuting by car you need a safe, reliable place to keep your car. In Center City add between two and three hundred dollars for that. Add a minimum of 100. for utilities. Now knock roughly 4% off your gross salary to pay the city wage tax. Your budget is not realistic for Center City.
The 4% city tax will not be good, but I'm hoping to get a raise when I get taken on as an employee by the company I am with. I currently work here as a temp (40% of the company does) with a promising outlook for full-time hire and part of the deal was that I'd get a raise upon being hired. So if I do that would help with the finances. 3-4 guys on the wing on the same floor as me live in the graduate hospital area and say parking is not much of a problem. Finding an affordable apartment will be the toughest part. I do have some money saved up so I can rely on that for a bit until I get the raise. Honestly, I'd rather not make much after taxes and have a great time with people my age in the city (where there is alot to do) than be stuck at my Dad's in Phoenixville with virtually no nightlife to speak of; plus I'm not on my own which is what I desperately want to do.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 PM

7,442 posts, read 9,818,630 times
^Did you customize your mapquest to avoid the Schuylkill? You're going to want to avoid it like the plague.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:45 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,843,498 times
Quote:
General question for anyone: Is biking feasible in Philly or is there too much traffic? I plan on doing some biking along boat house row, but what about as a means of transportation in the city?
Absolutely. A lot of people bike... very feasible.

As for your budget. If you look in the surrounding areas like Graduate Hospital, University City and Fairmount, you can find an apartment for $800 a month. That will free up some extra money for Utilities and such. I would try to find an apartment that has off street parking, just makes things easier. I've seen listings with off street parking for an extra $85 a month.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:05 PM

266 posts, read 332,892 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, this is what I was looking for! It sounds like center city or just north of it would be perfect for me. South Philly is probably too far into the city but I will check that out as well. Good to hear that you were able to find a nice 2 bedroom apartment for $1,000/month, that bodes well for me in my search for a single apartment. I definitely like how everything is within a five minute walk for you. My ideal situation is to walk/bike to work in the city, but the company I am with now treats employees very well and we have good amenities so I am loyal to them. Is parking a problem for you where you are at now?

I don't live at that spot anymore but when I did I parked on the side street right next to my house. Some people would prefer to keep their car in a garage somewhere but for me I didn't really care as I could see my car from my bedroom window. Fairmount or Graduate Hospital area will be a little harder to find on street parking as there are more people with cars in these areas. Philadelphia is a very bikable city. Actually I believe it is regarded as one of the best cities in the country to get around via bike. Plenty of bike lines and all that. I had a job as a delivery guy in Center City for two years. I used a bike to deliver and rode through Center City rush hour traffic all the time. While at first it may be kind of intimidating you get used to it real quick.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
^Did you customize your mapquest to avoid the Schuylkill? You're going to want to avoid it like the plague.
I figured I'm just going to be taking that the whole way, that's what the guys at my office who live in Philly do. It's the only way to get to Philly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Absolutely. A lot of people bike... very feasible.

As for your budget. If you look in the surrounding areas like Graduate Hospital, University City and Fairmount, you can find an apartment for $800 a month. That will free up some extra money for Utilities and such. I would try to find an apartment that has off street parking, just makes things easier. I've seen listings with off street parking for an extra $85 a month.
Thanks for the tips, I'll check those areas out. $800/month would be great, if I could get off-street parking that would be even better; big time saver on busy nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
I don't live at that spot anymore but when I did I parked on the side street right next to my house. Some people would prefer to keep their car in a garage somewhere but for me I didn't really care as I could see my car from my bedroom window. Fairmount or Graduate Hospital area will be a little harder to find on street parking as there are more people with cars in these areas. Philadelphia is a very bikable city. Actually I believe it is regarded as one of the best cities in the country to get around via bike. Plenty of bike lines and all that. I had a job as a delivery guy in Center City for two years. I used a bike to deliver and rode through Center City rush hour traffic all the time. While at first it may be kind of intimidating you get used to it real quick.
I don't mind where I park my car either, so long as nothing happens to it hah. Good to know about biking, I've always wanted to bike around on the weekends to different spots.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 AM

Wrong. The Schuylkill is NOT the only way to get to Philly and unless you'll be traveling to/from work during the off-off hours, you could literally be sitting in traffic for hours (definitely much longer than 45 minutes) if you take it the whole way.

PA-23 to Matsonford to South Gulph Road (though you'll probably even want to avoid South Gulph... I'm sure someone more familiar with KOP commutes can give you the scoop) among other possible backroad permutations and combinations will be your best bet.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Wrong. The Schuylkill is NOT the only way to get to Philly and unless you'll be traveling to/from work during the off-off hours, you could literally be sitting in traffic for hours (definitely much longer than 45 minutes) if you take it the whole way.

PA-23 to Matsonford to South Gulph Road (though you'll probably even want to avoid South Gulph... I'm sure someone more familiar with KOP commutes can give you the scoop) among other possible backroad permutations and combinations will be your best bet.

Well that's good to know, thanks! Someone at my office had mentioned 23 but said I would still be waiting awhile on that road. I'll ask the guys on Monday which road they take since they live in the graduate hospital area and say that it takes a max of 45-50 minutes one way.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Well that's good to know, thanks! Someone at my office had mentioned 23 but said I would still be waiting awhile on that road. I'll ask the guys on Monday which road they take since they live in the graduate hospital area and say that it takes a max of 45-50 minutes one way.
You'll be waiting awhile regardless of which route you take. There's really no way around it. 45 to 50 minutes from Grad Hospital sounds very optimistic unless you're leaving very early or very late, though I'd be curious to hear how exactly they get there.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:50 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,368,897 times
Quote:
You'll be waiting awhile regardless of which route you take. There's really no way around it. 45 to 50 minutes from Grad Hospital sounds very optimistic unless you're leaving very early or very late, though I'd be curious to hear how exactly they get there.
Keep in mind he is reverse commuting so the traffic shouldn't be as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or