U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 AM

7,442 posts, read 9,843,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Keep in mind he is reverse commuting so the traffic shouldn't be as bad.
It's not a complete reverse commute. In/around the city, the Schuylkill is backed up from all directions during rush hour and KOP itself is a major job center, so there's quite a bit of traffic mornings and evenings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 11:25 AM

53 posts, read 67,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Keep in mind he is reverse commuting so the traffic shouldn't be as bad.
That's what I'm hoping, but there is always traffic, just depends on how much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
It's not a complete reverse commute. In/around the city, the Schuylkill is backed up from all directions during rush hour and KOP itself is a major job center, so there's quite a bit of traffic mornings and evenings.
There are, but once you get out of the congested areas it moves pretty well. I just find it odd how one of the biggest cities in the country has only one main artery to it.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB52 View Post
There are, but once you get out of the congested areas it moves pretty well. I just find it odd how one of the biggest cities in the country has only one main artery to it.
I grew up just west of the city so I'm aware of how it works, and yeah, the Schuylkill is a nightmare. You're going to see consistent morning rush hour blocks at City Ave/Belmont through to the Conshohocken curve. You may be able to hop on 76 from there, but forget about taking it home at night.

You simply can't have your cake and eat it too in this scenario, but if you're really willing to put up with the commute and/or have a reasonably good chance of being transferred somewhere more convenient in the not-too-distant future, try it out. Worse comes to worst, you can always relocate after a year.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 01-06-2013 at 12:43 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I grew up just west of the city so I'm aware of how it works, and yeah, the Schuylkill is a nightmare. You're going to see consistent morning rush hour blocks at City Ave/Belmont through to the Conshohocken curve. You may be able to hop on 76 from there, but forget about taking it home at night.

You simply can't have your cake and eat it too in this scenario, but if you're really willing to put up with the commute and/or have a reasonably good chance of being transferred somewhere more convenient in the not-too-distant future, try it out. Worse comes to worst, you can always relocate after a year.
I might have to take it home at night, I'll see. I swore that I would never take 76 again after having to drive to/from golf matches in high school and it taking forever, but it looks like I might be doing it again hah. I agree that it's not great, I'm still going to check out Manayunk, but I really want to be in the city. I'm hoping to check out apartments next weekend in both places. I hope I can get a 3 or 6 month lease and then see how it is, so if it turns out I'm not a fan of it I'll go to Manayunk.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I might have to take it home at night, I'll see. I swore that I would never take 76 again after having to drive to/from golf matches in high school and it taking forever, but it looks like I might be doing it again hah. I agree that it's not great, I'm still going to check out Manayunk, but I really want to be in the city. I'm hoping to check out apartments next weekend in both places. I hope I can get a 3 or 6 month lease and then see how it is, so if it turns out I'm not a fan of it I'll go to Manayunk.
Please stop setting Manayunk apart from "the city." Regardless of what you prefer, Manayunk is the city, and although it's definitely not as dense and action-packed as Center City, it's far and away more urban than somewhere like Malvern (which you seemed to fear).

The biggest advantage Manayunk has, commute-wise (in addition to closer proximity to KOP) is that you won't have to slog through nearly as many narrow city streets in order to get into the suburbs while avoiding the highways. How long a commute you're willing to put up with is up to you.

I don't know how easy it will be to get a 3- or 6-month lease, aside from subleases, though shorter-term housing commitments are definitely worth looking into.

Something else you may consider is taking the train or high speed line out to Strafford or Gulph Mills where a friendly coworker would be willing to pick you up on his/her way to the office. That creates the downside of having to rely on someone else, but if that person is reliable, you could still live in Center City and avoid a lot of commuting-related stress.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Please stop setting Manayunk apart from "the city." Regardless of what you prefer, Manayunk is the city, and although it's definitely not as dense and action-packed as Center City, it's far and away more urban than somewhere like Malvern (which you seemed to fear).

The biggest advantage Manayunk has, commute-wise (in addition to closer proximity to KOP) is that you won't have to slog through nearly as many narrow city streets in order to get into the suburbs while avoiding the highways. How long a commute you're willing to put up with is up to you.

I don't know how easy it will be to get a 3- or 6-month lease, aside from subleases, though shorter-term housing commitments are definitely worth looking into.

Something else you may consider is taking the train or high speed line out to Strafford or Gulph Mills where a friendly coworker would be willing to pick you up on his/her way to the office. That creates the downside of having to rely on someone else, but if that person is reliable, you could still live in Center City and avoid a lot of commuting-related stress.
Ok sorry my bad, I'll stop. I don't fear Malvern, I love it (since I grew up here), I just want to get a different experience and don't want to be living in this kind of environment for now.

Good point about the best thing going for Manayunk. It's still on my radar, I am just leaning towards Philly because I want to be in the thick of things. When I check out places this weekend I'll have a better idea of where I want to be. I was hoping to get a less than one year lease, but if I can't then 1 year is not that bad if it turns out I'd rather be in Manayunk than Philly.

I don't think anyone I know drives by that stop. That is a good idea though, I'll look into it and see if someone would be able to do that.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:15 AM

860 posts, read 1,118,882 times
Quote:
Ok sorry my bad, I'll stop. I don't fear Malvern, I love it (since I grew up here), I just want to get a different experience and don't want to be living in this kind of environment for now.

Good point about the best thing going for Manayunk. It's still on my radar, I am just leaning towards Philly because I want to be in the thick of things. When I check out places this weekend I'll have a better idea of where I want to be. I was hoping to get a less than one year lease, but if I can't then 1 year is not that bad if it turns out I'd rather be in Manayunk than Philly.

I don't think anyone I know drives by that stop. That is a good idea though, I'll look into it and see if someone would be able to do that.
LMAO. You're great, I like you. Good luck on your search bro.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:

You did it again, but I'll let it pass.

I prefer Center City on a day-to-day basis myself. I just want to make sure you know what you're getting into. You're right though; in the end, a year is not an eternity.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
LMAO. You're great, I like you. Good luck on your search bro.
That's what I get for trying to reply quickly while eating breakfast before heading off to work. Thanks man, hopefully I find a good place.

Quote:
You did it again, but I'll let it pass.

I prefer Center City on a day-to-day basis myself. I just want to make sure you know what you're getting into. You're right though; in the end, a year is not an eternity.
My bad, again, sorry! I appreciate you giving me the pros and cons of each, that is exactly what I was looking for. I put up with working in Reading, commuting 45-55mins one way, and living with my dad for 1 year as my first job out of college, so living in Center City (or wherever nearby I find a place) on my own for a year and working in KoP will be ALOT better even if it turns out that I cannot tolerate the commute.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
My bad, again, sorry! I appreciate you giving me the pros and cons of each, that is exactly what I was looking for. I put up with working in Reading, commuting 45-55mins one way, and living with my dad for 1 year as my first job out of college, so living in Center City (or wherever nearby I find a place) on my own for a year and working in KoP will be ALOT better even if it turns out that I cannot tolerate the commute.
Haha, it's fine, just busting your chops.

And since you're used to commuting that long (and apparently survived ) the hour-ish shouldn't faze you too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or