Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 PM

53 posts, read 79,714 times

Advertisements

I am 23 years old and recently got a job in Wayne, P.A. (It's actually 2 minutes away from the KoP mall but is considered Wayne) I have been living with my Dad while working at my first job in Reading but now that I'm near civilization (hah) I want to get a place in Philly to be in the center of the action and commute out to Wayne. While I grew up in Malvern, I know next to nothing about Philly. Where would be a good area of Philly for me to get a single apartment? I'd like it to be in a spot for young people my age that has good restaurants in the area and is relatively close to 76 so I can get on the highway pretty quickly in the morning. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for an apartment, but I would like to be in a good area so if it is going to cost a little more I'd be willing to pay. I'm kind of a foodie as well so like I said, good restaurants nearby would be great.

I talked to two of my friends who live there and they recommended Rittenhouse Square area (Chestnut & Walnut street in the teens), Old City, Society Hill, Northern Liberties, Fairmount, or Center City. One of them is in Logan Square and that looks like it is at the beginning of Philly coming from my way from googling it. She said that Old City is fun and has alot going on and has tons of different little restaurants and bars. Also said that Fairmont is up and coming but is a mix of good/bad areas. Any recommendations based on my requirements?

Last edited by JB52; 01-03-2013 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 PM

9,316 posts, read 12,911,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB52 View Post
I am 23 years old and recently got a job in Wayne, P.A. I have been living with my Dad while working at my first job in Reading but now that I'm near civilization (hah) I want to get a place in Philly to be in the center of the action and commute out to Wayne. While I grew up in Malvern, I know next to nothing about Philly. Where would be a good area of Philly for me to get a single apartment? I'd like it to be in a spot for young people my age that has good restaurants in the area and is relatively close to 76 so I can get on the highway pretty quickly in the morning. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for an apartment, but I would like to be in a good area so if it is going to cost a little more I'd be willing to pay. I'm kind of a foodie as well so like I said, good restaurants nearby would be great.

I talked to two of my friends who live there and they recommended Rittenhouse Square area (Chestnut & Walnut street in the teens), Old City, Society Hill, Northern Liberties, Fairmount, or Center City. One of them is in Logan Square and that looks like it is at the beginning of Philly coming from my way from googling it. She said that Old City is fun and has alot going on and has tons of different little restaurants and bars. Also said that Fairmont is up and coming but is a mix of good/bad areas. Any recommendations based on my requirements?
Driving between Wayne and Center City everyday will make for an awfully crappy commute. Depending on where your office is, however, taking the train could be feasible (~35 minutes each way from Suburban Station).

Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Driving between Wayne and Center City everyday will make for an awfully crappy commute. Depending on where your office is, however, taking the train could be feasible (~35 minutes each way from Suburban Station).
I'm aware. I talked to two guys in my office who do the commute and they said it takes from 45-50 minutes a day but that living in the city is totally worth it, which is why I'm looking there. Manayunk or Conshohocken would be better drive-wise, but I'd prefer the city.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB52 View Post
I'm aware. I talked to two guys in my office who do the commute and they said it takes from 45-50 minutes a day but that living in the city is totally worth it, which is why I'm looking there. Manayunk or Conshohocken would be better drive-wise, but I'd prefer the city.
Manayunk is the City and would make more logistical sense without sacrificing a fun urban atmosphere.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Manayunk is the City and would make more logistical sense without sacrificing a fun urban atmosphere.
It's on the outskirts, I'd rather be in the center of the city itself. I'm more interested in a change of scenery than anything else. Yea the commute is not great, but I'd prefer the city.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,615,693 times
Manayunk is in the city limits and offers everything that Center City offers and will be an easier commute. Along Main Street Manayunk, there is a TON of bars and clubs. Also, the Regional Rail line will get you from Manayunk to Center City in ~15 mins for $4 one way.

If you want to live in the core of the city itself, you have a plethora of options from Old City, Rittenhouse Square, Washington Square, Society Hill, Fitler Square, Logan Square, University City, Fairmount, Northern Liberties. All of these border I-76. Most of these neighborhoods will be more expensive. Rittenhouse and Society Hill will be the most expensive.

What is your budget? Take a guess on what you are willing to spend.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Manayunk is in the city limits and offers everything that Center City offers and will be an easier commute. Along Main Street Manayunk, there is a TON of bars and clubs. Also, the Regional Rail line will get you from Manayunk to Center City in ~15 mins for $4 one way.
Another thing to consider is that once the initial novelty of living in the city wears off, you'll still be stuck with a grueling commute. I live right on the border of University City/Center City, and don't get me wrong, as a young, unmarried guy precisely the OP's age, I absolutely love having easy access to some of the country's best shopping, dining, and nightlife right at my fingertips. But if I had to schlep to and from the Main Line every day, I'd switch to Manayunk in a heartbeat (where the aforementioned amenities really aren't any less good--they're just offered in a little different of an atmosphere).

Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:

If you want to live in the core of the city itself, you have a plethora of options from Old City, Rittenhouse Square, Washington Square, Society Hill, Fitler Square, Logan Square, University City, Fairmount, Northern Liberties. All of these border I-76. Most of these neighborhoods will be more expensive. Rittenhouse and Society Hill will be the most expensive.

I'm looking to spend no more than $1,000 a month if possible. Good point about Manayunk. I've lived in Malvern and driven by Manayunk alot and just want a change of pace from the suburbs, and thought that Manayunk would be the same thing as Malvern. But if not then I'll see. I'll check out some places in both Manayunk and the spots you mentioned in Philly this weekend.

Quote:
Another thing to consider is that once the initial novelty of living in the city wears off, you'll still be stuck with a grueling commute. I live right on the border of University City/Center City, and don't get me wrong, as a young, unmarried guy precisely the OP's age, I absolutely love having easy access to some of the country's best shopping, dining, and nightlife right at my fingertips. But if I had to schlep to and from the Main Line every day, I'd switch to Manayunk in a heartbeat (where the aforementioned amenities really aren't any less good--they're just offered in a little different of an atmosphere).
True, but I have always wanted to live in the city. I might do a month-to-month lease deal in Manayunk in the interim until I can find a job in the city. Walking to work while living in the city is my ideal set-up, but I do agree that the commute from the city would be a pain. Does Manayunk have a good amount of restaurants? I love trying new/different food, plus a solid diner/brunch spot is always a plus, so if it has that it would help. Do you workin Philly since you live on the boder of University City/Center City?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:34 AM

2,471 posts, read 3,999,755 times
Quote:

Manayunk is cool philly neighborhood but lets not get carried away. It does NOT offer anywhere near "everything that Center City offers". It offers much of what Center City offers but at a much smaller scale and without even a fraction of the variety. Sure Manayunk has a cool nightlife and nice restaurants and if you live there you certainly don't have to head downtown to have a good time, but let's not get it twisted with the urban center of 6 million people.

Plus if you move to Manayunk you had better be sure to like the scene in Manayunk because easy access to downtown is certainly not one of Manayunk's strong suits. That's not to say it's hard to get downtown, but compared to many of the other desirable philly neighborhoods that mostly cluster around CC and are a short walk away from downtown, Manayunk is comparably off the beaten path.

As you say, living in Manayunk would offer a MUCH better commute to work than basically every other desirable neighborhood in philly and quite drastically better in some cases, and so I do agree that living in Manayunk is a good option and a smart choice to consider. I just wanted to point out that while Manayunk may be a good alternative to living in CC, it is NOT CC, and stating that it offers everything CC does is setting someone up for some MAJOR disappointment.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 AM

266 posts, read 408,286 times
I'd suggest living just north of Center City or in South Philly. I used to live around Broad and Girard (just north of center city) and it was perfect. Basically a 10 minute walk or 2 minute subway ride to Temple U, 15 - 20 minute walk or 5 minute subway ride to Center City [which you can go into West Philly (UPenn, Drexel..) or Olde City (bars) for free at the City Hall interchange], or you can keep riding it down to South Philly or the stadiums. At this location there was literally everything I needed within a 5 minute walk (CVS, grocery store, fast food, etc..). Also around this area you will be able to find affordable housing to fit your budget. I lived in a brand new nice 2 bedroom apartment for 1,000 a month + utilities. Crime was never an issue. I was 20 when I moved to this spot and had previously been living in Fairmount. While Fairmount was a nicer overall area this spot was way better for someone of your (or our) age as I felt it was one of the most "convenient" spots for someone in there early 20's. Also getting out of the city was very easy. It only took about 5 minutes to hop onto the Vine Street Expressway (676) which then merges with 76 (which I'm guessing you would take to work). Basically at this spot I felt I was always just a few steps away from going anywhere in the city.

South Philly is another good spot. Plenty to do, affordable, a lot of young people. Never lived there but have plenty of friends there. The only knock would be that depending on where you live it might take a little while longer to get out of the city and get to work. Also, the thing about South Philly is a lot of the neighborhoods are very family oriented so if your moving in you might want to make sure there are other people your age on or around the block. At the Broad and Girard area it was basically 2/3 people between the ages of 20 - 30 and 1/3 families whereas South Philly the percentage will probably be in the other direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia