Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 02:28 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,554,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I've never lived anywhere where reassessments were "phased in". Your property value goes up, you pay up with your next tax bill. Period.

Welcome to the real world.
Agreed, but the problem is many people haven't been reassessed properly since the 60s or 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 03:18 PM

735 posts, read 1,122,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Breaking news:

I used the latest online AVI calculator- http://avicalculator,phila.gov./ - and I got the bad news:

My property taxes are going up nearly 200% and I'm going to have to pay another $3,000 a year in taxes.

Oy vey!
But you've lived in the same house for 11 years, right? I would think you would qualify for a homestead exemption but obviously that's just a guess on my part.

In my opinion, the only newcomers who should qualify for any Homestead Exemption are people like you who don't plan on leaving, put thousands of dollars into fixing up your house, and who have lived in the same house for at least ten years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
It hurts doesn't it? I'm truly sorry. Mine are going up too. We live in the same neighborhood. The fact that literally hundreds of millions of tax dollars have gone uncollected makes this sting even more. It's literally the definition of "unjust" "unfair" and "unequal".

The whole scenario just makes my blood boil.
What was "unjust", "unfair", and "unequal" is that working and middle class neighborhoods were subsidizing these gentrifying neighborhoods and the ghetto ones for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin19119 View Post
I just did my house and it`s going to go down. I have a family members who`s taxes are going to go up 50%. I think this might force good working people out of Philly
Property Tax Changes | AxisPhilly
Out of gentrifying neighborhoods, maybe. The people getting hit with these assessments aren't working class though, unless they're long-time residents.

Stop trying to use AVI to bash the city or act like it will create an "exodus" simply because that's what you want.

Quote:
2. How about collecting the hundreds of millions from the scofflaws first. After that money is collected, then, if necessary, get more from the law abiding folks. Honestly, it shocks me that I'm the only one here that seems bothered by that. Does nobody else understand how completely unfair that is or have you all grown so accustomed to corruption and incompetence that you just accept it?
Why do people keep saying this? It's not about what's "necessary". It's about places not continuing to be ridiculously underassessed in parts while the parts that have recently been assessed or that weren't ghettos the last time they were assessed are subsidizing every other neighborhood in the city.

That is what is unfair. The city and even the metro is not a good place for working class people anymore, and has continued to be less of one with almost each passing year. Working class neighborhoods continue to decline and empty out, and every neighborhood (in or outside of the city) the working class "moves up a rung" to sees the same thing happen. Why should they continue to be taxed into oblivion while those with much more means to pay get such an easier ride of it, in much nicer houses and neighborhoods?

Old 02-17-2013, 04:17 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,786,952 times
Quote:
Good point. It's natural that taxes would increase when the home values increase. The issue here is twofold:

1. How about phasing in the increases as opposed to sudden massive ones so people can adjust.

2. How about collecting the hundreds of millions from the scofflaws first. After that money is collected, then, if necessary, get more from the law abiding folks. Honestly, it shocks me that I'm the only one here that seems bothered by that. Does nobody else understand how completely unfair that is or have you all grown so accustomed to corruption and incompetence that you just accept it?
I agree and said that many times before but unfortunately its easier to get more money from law abiding tax paying citizens then to nail down the scofflaws.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:41 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,506,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I agree and said that many times before but unfortunately its easier to get more money from law abiding tax paying citizens then to nail down the scofflaws.
Indeed it is.... I'm curious how much money you'd have to pour out just to collect that tax money.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:55 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,100,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
The people getting hit with these assessments aren't working class though, unless they're long-time residents.
Are you sure about this? How do you know? I'm getting hit and I can assure you I'm far from wealthy. Based on what you've posted before, I suspect you and I come from similar backgrounds- albeit different towns.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:14 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,786,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Indeed it is.... I'm curious how much money you'd have to pour out just to collect that tax money.

Too much.. Its free to up yours because they KNOW you will pay your fair taxes every time..

Old 02-17-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Too much.. Its free to up yours because they KNOW you will pay your fair taxes every time..
THIS is the perfect summation of the entire problem.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:38 PM

469 posts, read 920,907 times
Quote:

Out of gentrifying neighborhoods, maybe. The people getting hit with these assessments aren't working class though, unless they're long-time residents.

Stop trying to use AVI to bash the city or act like it will create an "exodus" simply because that's what you want.
I was born and raised in Philly. If I point out things I don`t like about my city,it`s because I care and I want them to change. I am not someone who sold his house and took his family and ran,so I have no ideal what you are talking about with this whole "exodus" thing. LOL! I also realize this is the internet so I get what you are doing.
Middle class families keeps a city together.You can`t keep draining your tax base. If you don`t have safe streets, good schools and new a tax base coming in. The middle class families will leave. If that happens, you will have hipsters living in and around center city and the rest of the city dying. Look around the country and you see it happening. I don`t want that for Philly. I have seen hard working families give up and leave, replace by young couples who run as soon as their kids become school age.This city is my life not my temporary playground so you damn right if I think something is wrong,I will say so.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:49 PM

735 posts, read 1,122,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin19119 View Post
I was born and raised in Philly. If I point out things I don`t like about my city,it`s because I care and I want them to change. I am not someone who sold his house and took his family and ran,so I have no ideal what you are talking about with this whole "exodus" thing. LOL! I also realize this is the internet so I get what you are doing.
Middle class families keeps a city together.You can`t keep draining your tax base. If you don`t have safe streets, good schools and new a tax base coming in. The middle class families will leave. If that happens, you will have hipsters living in and around center city and the rest of the city dying. Look around the country and you see it happening. I don`t want that for Philly. I have seen hard working families give up and leave, replace by young couples who run as soon as their kids become school age.This city is my life not my temporary playground so you damn right if I think something is wrong,I will say so.
I agree, which is why AVI is a good thing. The people who have been subsidizing the other neighborhoods in the city are finally getting a break.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I agree, which is why AVI is a good thing. The people who have been subsidizing the other neighborhoods in the city are finally getting a break.
So the scofflaw thing doesn't trouble you at all? I get what you're saying about the different neighborhoods being properly assessed and taxed. Why should a $400k home in NoLibs pay lower taxes than a $180k home in Mayfair? I get it.

Can you at least concede that nobody should be increased while thousands of deadbeats walk away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia