Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 12:43 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,507,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
AVI is a reassessment of properties. Not a tax hike. There is a difference.

And no... I don't work for the city actually.
It is a bit sad when someone has to resort to that form of argument. The conspiracy theorists sure love it! "You can't listen to him, because he's obviously a government agent here to continue the cover up and delude people further!"

Technically, this is a tax "hike" if we want to define a "tax hike" as anytime a tax increases. I agree with Summer when he says there is a difference in the political concept of a "tax hike" and the literal meaning of those two words together.

I agree with the Negadelphian thing. I don't see what there is to even criticize. It looks like they will really go after tax evaders and this will not only appease many who have complaintss about AVI, but also supplement it by bringing in even more money from this whole ordeal. I don't see how this is a bad thing. Paying your taxes is investing in your city I don't think it is alright for people to whine and call it unfair that they have to pay what they'd probably have to pay if they lived anywhere else. People are playing into their biases and conditioning by screaming "I told you so!" or "Same old Philadelphia!" anytime something falls through, despite the overwhelmingly positive things that are happening in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 12:57 PM

802 posts, read 1,315,426 times
So if this goes through, that $500 that will be added to my property taxes isn't an increase that will in turn make my mortgage payments higher?

Ummm......yeah, okay.

FYI, I actually do not want to move out of the city nor do I dislike living here.

And I'm sorry Summers if it doesn't bother you that deadbeats owe over $500 million in property taxes. It should. If Nutter does wind up putting the screws to these delinquents and making them pay up, then I will apologize for my remarks about him a few posts up.

However, being the so called "Negadelphian" that I am, I highly doubt Nutter will do a damned thing.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:05 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,786,952 times
Folks., You do know summer does NOT pay prop taxes so he can say these things since his mortgage(oh wait he don't have one) won't go up a dime.. So he can cal you names but the fact remains raise his rent some of the numbers you guys are seeing and he would be singing a different tune.

Summer- nothing against you personally but I just want everyone to know .. We still love ya like a fat kid loves cake

Old 02-18-2013, 01:14 PM

Yes, adding 40 dollars to my rent would surely ruin my life.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:19 PM

Or there is the fact that when one purchases a house, they should understand the responsibilities they are taking on. As a renter, I safely avoid this.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:32 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,100,739 times
Although I'm not thrilled about my impending $2000 increase, as long as Nutter carries through with squeezing the deadbeats, I can live with it as part of making the overall system more fair. The scofflaw thing was giving me major agita.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Although I'm not thrilled about my impending $2000 increase, as long as Nutter carries through with squeezing the deadbeats, I can live with it as part of making the overall system more fair. The scofflaw thing was giving me major agita.
I think we can all safely say the same about the delinquents. Hopefully we see that money reinvested wisely to serve the taxpaying base.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:45 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,623,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Yes, adding 40 dollars to my rent would surely ruin my life.
I think I would definitely make a stink if my rent got raised by $150-$200/month. I would likely investigate every legal recourse, and try to find out if it were happening other tenants in my building. And I'd be pretty angry if I knew that there were other tenants who hadn't paid rent in years yet weren't being evicted, while I was possibly going to have to leave my home to find a place with lower rent.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I think I would definitely make a stink if my rent got raised by $150-$200/month. I would likely investigate every legal recourse, and try to find out if it were happening other tenants in my building. And I'd be pretty angry if I knew that there were other tenants who hadn't paid rent in years yet weren't being evicted, while I was possibly going to have to leave my home to find a place with lower rent.
The problem is, that is a poor, poor analogy. Renting and purchasing a home are far from the same thing. Although, if I were paying 200 under for rent and I knew it when I took out on the apartment, I wouldn't really have room to complain when my luck ran out and I had to pay the proper assessment price for it. Other tenants would be relative because of value of apartment. Is it a studio, 1 BR, 2 BR, etc. Naturally, rates will be different. Also, renting is more controlled. It is doubtful you'd have someone skipping rent and not being evicted. Collecting taxes is not like collecting rent. We're not talking about a controlled building here.

The fact is that home owners were not paying their proper amount of taxes as they would elsewhere in the country. You can't whine and cry about other people who don't pay their taxes because you don't want your discount joy ride to end. You should be doing what you should be doing, regardless of criminals. You do not suddenly circumvent what you should be doing because other people are not doing it.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:06 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,623,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
The problem is, that is a poor, poor analogy. Renting and purchasing a home are far from the same thing. Although, if I were paying 200 under for rent and I knew it when I took out on the apartment, I wouldn't really have room to complain when my luck ran out and I had to pay the proper assessment price for it. Other tenants would be relative because of value of apartment. Is it a studio, 1 BR, 2 BR, etc. Naturally, rates will be different. Also, renting is more controlled. It is doubtful you'd have someone skipping rent and not being evicted. Collecting taxes is not like collecting rent. We're not talking about a controlled building here.

The fact is that home owners were not paying their proper amount of taxes as they would elsewhere in the country. You can't whine and cry about other people who don't pay their taxes because you don't want your discount joy ride to end. You should be doing what you should be doing, regardless of criminals. You do not suddenly circumvent what you should be doing because other people are not doing it.
No one's saying it's "the same thing" exactly. Rents are controlled only in that there are typically legal limits that landlords are allowed to raise rent by when a tenant renews a lease, and they can't be raised mid-lease. So if "your luck ran out and you had to pay the proper assessment" which was much higher, you absolutely would have room to complain. Because if you're renting, laws typically protect you from having your rent raised by a huge amount in one go from the amount that you and your landlord mutually agreed upon.

A mortgage is a mutual agreement between a homebuyer and a bank that takes into account the borrowers capacity to pay back the loan based on given circumstances. And there is no nationwide standard of how much property tax people are supposed to pay. Every municipality is different.
I think that accusing people who bought houses in good faith based on a given set of circumstances (that were beyond their control), of somehow being whiny entitled brats for complaining when those circumstances are being dramatically changed overnight, which may significantly affect their lives, is misdirected, and a bit overly insensitive. These people played by the rules as they were written, and have likely invested a lot more of themselves into their home and their community than the average renter, as their stakes are by nature much higher. They've actually paid their proper taxes by the letter of the law. They are not the scofflaws. They are the people you want as your neighbors in the city. I think it's' better to join them in complaining about the scofflaws who are the ones who actually SHOULD face hardships and threats to their way of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia