Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 09:41 AM

41,737 posts, read 74,692,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Philadelphia View Post
A bunch of commentors on Philly.com are saying they are beginning the process of selling their homes and moving to the Burbs
Can't wait to hear them squawk when they get those tax bills ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 10:12 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,100,739 times
Quote:
A bunch of commentors on Philly.com are saying they are beginning the process of selling their homes and moving to the Burbs...I really hope these are people just venting and we don't have an exodus out of the city. The city has made so much progress in retaining and attracting young families and vibrancy to the city core, I would hate to see this diminish.
Half of the people who comment at Philly.com are certifiable. We've got a much better crew over here.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 AM

318 posts, read 606,659 times
After seeing the story on AVI in this past sundays edition of the Inquirer, i see my tax is gonna go up (go figure lol) but not as much as I feared. Was kinda worried that I was going to pay suburban rates without the benefit of suburban living (i.e, lower crime, better schools, etc)

Old 02-21-2013, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 743 times
Default Updated Information Regarding the City of Philadelphia’s Actual Value Initiative (AVI)

[FONT=&quot]As of Friday, Feb. 15th, 2014 Property Assessment Notices are being mailed to Philadelphia property owners; Notices that, for the first time, will reflect the market values of individual properties, as part of the Actual Value Initiative (AVI). [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please keep in mind; your Notice is NOT a bill. 2014 taxes will be calculated based on a new Real Estate Tax rate - which will be significantly lower than the 2013 rate.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Learn how to understand your Assessment Notice in four easy steps: [URL]http://www.phila.gov/OPA/Documents/AVI%20Poster%20How%20to%20UnderstandFINAL_01212013 .pdf[/URL][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]How the assessment process is different: To determine the assessed value of each property, the Office of Property Assessment (OPA) looked at several characteristics, including the size of a property, its age and condition, its location, and its use as a home or business. Field inspections, deed and records of permits, property listings, and even aerial photos were taken into consideration when determining the assessed value of a property.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Also included in the mailing will be a brochure that explains the new system, an explanation of where your taxes go, and a First-Level Review request form.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]What’s the First-Level Review? The OPA wants to give property owners the opportunity to discuss their assessment without applying for a formal appeal. Simply fill out the form by March 31, 2013, attach any documentation, estimates, or appraisals you may have, and you will be contacted by the OPA.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] If the OPA makes a decision to raise, lower or keep the value the same and you are still unsatisfied, you may appeal to the Board of Revision of Taxes (BRT); and then further to the Court of Common Pleas.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Learn more [/FONT][FONT=&quot]by attending an upcoming community meeting. All meetings are open to the public. Representatives will be on hand to answer any questions you might have about your property assessment and what it might mean for your property taxes in the future.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A list of upcoming meetings is available at: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][URL="http://www.phila.gov/OPA/AboutUs/Pages/News.aspx"][FONT=Arial]http://www.phila.gov/OPA/AboutUs/Pages/News.aspx[/FONT][/URL][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For more information, call 215-686-9200 or visit [/FONT][FONT=&quot][URL="http://www.phila.gov/opa"][FONT=Arial]www.phila.gov/opa[/FONT][/URL][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]**Attention Posters: The Office of Property Assessment provides this information as a public service and is happy to speak with you regarding any questions or concerns you may have. Please know that we will not be able to respond to comments on this forum involving individual tax parcels – for assistance with that, please contact us at 215-686-9200. **[/FONT]

Old 02-21-2013, 02:57 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,612,328 times
Quote:
A bunch of commentors on Philly.com are saying they are beginning the process of selling their homes and moving to the Burbs...I really hope these are people just venting and we don't have an exodus out of the city. The city has made so much progress in retaining and attracting young families and vibrancy to the city core, I would hate to see this diminish.
Never use a comment on Philly.com as a basis in truth. EVER. Most of those people constantly bash the city anyways and the majority of them ARE ALREADY LIVING IN THE SUBURBS. They just do it to get any chance imaginable to make Philadelphia look bad. Tell them good luck in moving to the suburbs where their property taxes will go up EVEN HIGHER and their other costs that come with suburban living go up like cost of gas and maintaining a car.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,786,952 times
Remember. Ya get what you pay for Think about it

Old 02-22-2013, 11:27 AM

154 posts, read 321,075 times
i would think that if you wait it out to find out what the final rate will be, it might be too late to sell. this may even the divide between burbs and city living in terms of cost. for some starting out, it may not be worth it to buy that starter house in the city. if I had to choose between $2k in taxes to live in south philly or $4k to live in the burbs..........the burbs would win easily.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:53 PM

2,471 posts, read 3,998,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padugan View Post
i would think that if you wait it out to find out what the final rate will be, it might be too late to sell. this may even the divide between burbs and city living in terms of cost. for some starting out, it may not be worth it to buy that starter house in the city. if I had to choose between $2k in taxes to live in south philly or $4k to live in the burbs..........the burbs would win easily.
depending on who you are and what you want. for you perhaps.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:00 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,612,328 times
Quote:
Ok and I would chose to live in the city. Everyone has differing opinions

Old 02-22-2013, 01:08 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,786,952 times
Quote:

Yup, the people on the fence with leave Philly if this AVI thing bangs em too much.. Its what I said way back when this first came out. AND it will stop people on the fence about moving to Philly This AVI will overall hurt the city population wise.
This is not what the city needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia