Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:20 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times

Advertisements

So this is the deal. I have been living in PA for almost 3 years after my job relocated me here.
I have started to get comfortable with the area and started to love Philadelphia.

Since I was here, I had rented in Lansdale, Glenside, Jenkinton and now Rittenhouse. (Progressively closer to the city). I decide that it is time for me to invest in buying a property instead of throwing away my money in renting.

Things that I have in mind for a perfect abode:
0. Safe area (I number it zero because it's implemented)
1. I work outside the city, and I would like to keep riding the train to work. Of course the distance from the train station to the house should be walkable.
2. I like to be in the Rittenhouse area to hang out in the weekend or its proximity.
3. I like an area, which still has train / subway running late at night, which can conveniently take me home at night when I got dropped off on 30th St. Station after my occasional business trips to NYC.

At the moment, I have 2 options:
1. Glenside. I used to live there, but I could barely find any houses for sale. And if there's any, it has a big yard. There is no way I will clean it myself HAHA
2. Point Breeze. This is what I want to ask you guys. I have been looking for properties there. It's very alluring; price-wise. How safe is the area? Since the area is being gentrified, I am pretty sure that the property price will increase dramatically within couple years. But at the moment, how safe is the area? I asked a friend of mine at work who used to work there, and she has scary stories about her neighbor found her front door and stairs covered with blood, etc. etc.

So do you guys have any opinions? Maybe other areas I can check out? Any good realtor to contact, esp in Glenside area? (I found alot in Point Breeze area but not Glenside)

I know kidphilly or summersm can help me on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Look in Newbold (you'll see it on google maps just west of Broad & Tasker). You'll be close to the subway, closer to the good stuff on Passyunk Ave and further from the bad stuff around Point Breeze Ave.

If you stay within 3 blocks of one of the subway stops you'll be fine. You'll get the most house for your money between Wharton & McKean and between Broad & 17th. I was online a few days ago and saw some nice 2-3 bedrooms within a block of two of the subway for around $150k.

Newbold - south of Dickinson is really diverse but mostly it's an asian 'hood. Vietnamese, Chinese, Indonesian, Cambodian, and Filipino.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:13 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Newbold and Point Breeze are still gentrifying areas... so like most gentrifying areas, you are still going to have crime in the area.... that doesn't mean you yourself will deal with crime. Point Breeze is no where near the most dangerous place in Philadelphia, but I still don't know if it is a place I would want to live quite yet... maybe in a couple years sure, but not now.... UNLESS, you want to buy a cheap property in a gentrifying neighborhood and watch as the price of your home climbs over the next decade and then sell it for much more than you bought it for.

What is your price range? It will be easier to suggest ares if I knew your price range.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Look in Newbold (you'll see it on google maps just west of Broad & Tasker). You'll be close to the subway, closer to the good stuff on Passyunk Ave and further from the bad stuff around Point Breeze Ave.

If you stay within 3 blocks of one of the subway stops you'll be fine. You'll get the most house for your money between Wharton & McKean and between Broad & 17th. I was online a few days ago and saw some nice 2-3 bedrooms within a block of two of the subway for around $150k.

Newbold - south of Dickinson is really diverse but mostly it's an asian 'hood. Vietnamese, Chinese, Indonesian, Cambodian, and Filipino.
Drive, thanks for the info. So if you want to define the safer area of Point Breeze ( a k a Newbold?) can you please kind of give me the area? From what street to what street east-west north-siuth? Thanks!

Old 01-08-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Newbold and Point Breeze are still gentrifying areas... so like most gentrifying areas, you are still going to have crime in the area.... that doesn't mean you yourself will deal with crime. Point Breeze is no where near the most dangerous place in Philadelphia, but I still don't know if it is a place I would want to live quite yet... maybe in a couple years sure, but not now.... UNLESS, you want to buy a cheap property in a gentrifying neighborhood and watch as the price of your home climbs over the next decade and then sell it for much more than you bought it for.

What is your price range? It will be easier to suggest ares if I knew your price range.
But if I wait too long, it will be as expensive as houses in Graduate Hospital no?
Since am going to be paying it by myself, my max budget is 250k and below...
Is there any nice places in G-HO that is that cheap??? And I am not talking about condo...

Old 01-08-2013, 11:01 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
But if I wait too long, it will be as expensive as houses in Graduate Hospital no?
Since am going to be paying it by myself, my max budget is 250k and below...
Is there any nice places in G-HO that is that cheap??? And I am not talking about condo...
The southern portion of G-Ho just north of Washington Ave will be safer than Point Breeze and likely in your price range. Pennsport as well should be in your price range and is a safe neighborhood.

If you are set on Point Breeze, anything just south of Washington Ave should be fine. Also, anything West of Broad Street until 18th is Newbold.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:21 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Shouldn't you be looking along the same train line that passes by your work place?

Old 01-09-2013, 01:30 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
I don't think you could pick two more different options than Glenside and Point Breeze.

I take it you work near Glenside? Manayunk/East Falls/Roxborough/West Germantown/Mt. Airy could be a nice compromise between Center City and your work. And a compromise in living between dense and concrete Point Breeze and leafy Glenside.

Train lines are abundant and real estate is and always has been stable in these parts. If you're looking for a cheap investment property Point Breeze/Newbold/Grays Ferry/Mantua could work but a budget of $250,000 puts you very close to affording even the nicest areas of SP.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:02 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,318 times
When considering your new home, don't forget to take any possible AVI increases into account. The city is currently in the process of raising property tax rates in gentrifying areas. Be careful you don't get screwed.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:46 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Drive, thanks for the info. So if you want to define the safer area of Point Breeze ( a k a Newbold?) can you please kind of give me the area? From what street to what street east-west north-siuth? Thanks!
You didn't mention your budget but if you're looking in South Philly you might as well look anywhere between 10th St. and 17th St. I don't know if the subway is important to you or if you'll be driving to work but either way, most of the action in South Philly is between 8th & Broad anyway.

IMO, 15th & Mifflin is a nicer neighborhood than 13th & Ellsworth. I've lived on both sides of Broad St. for long enough to know that the same stuff happens on both sides. I wouldn't tell you to go house shopping at 23rd & Reed and likewise I would tell you to avoid the area around 5th & McKean.

I have no particular reason to go west of 18th St. except when I take the 17 bus so my general rule is to avoid the areas west of 18th St. although Ellsworth & Federal St. are decent out to 22nd St. or so. The irony of it is that if you're on 15th/16th/17th the further south you go the nicer the neighborhood gets. South of Dickinson is generally very stable, multi-generational, etc. North of Wharton St is much more transitional and ironically, more expensive. I guess people feel like "i'm closer to Rittenhouse."

The way I look at it you can move 5 blocks further south, be in a nicer neighborhood, get a bigger house, save $100k, be a block from the subway, 3 blocks from E. Passyunk, etc. Or you can do the opposite of all those things and still be 11 blocks from Rittenhouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia