U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 01:10 PM

11,828 posts, read 9,827,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
I can imagine a bunch of reasons.

Historic Germantown

Even the New York Times says so.

Historic Philadelphia - NYTimes.com
. There are plenty of reasons to visit Germantown. Glad to see The NY Times is aware of it, even if Philadelphians aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 02:00 PM

5,409 posts, read 9,556,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I'm sick of this consensus that "just because they aren't ghettos, they are not North Philadelphia"

Historically, anything North of Vine Street is North Philadelphia (historically known as the 'Northern Liberties'). Today it tends to be "anything North of Spring Garden is North Philadelphia."

Fairmount, Spring Garden, Poplar and Northern Liberties are all nice neighborhoods within North Philadelphia. Brewerytown, Francisville, Spring Arts, West Poplar, Olde Kensington, Yorktown, Templetown, Parts of Sharswood and Ludlow are Gentrifying neighborhoods. When these neighborhoods become nice are they no longer going to parts of North Philadelphia either?

Fairmount, Poplar and Spring Garden were once ghettos which became gentrified. NoLibs was basically a barren post-industrial area that was revitalized.

Fishtown, Kensington, Port Richmond, however, are the Riverwards, not North Philadelphia.

Also, neighborhoods way up North like East and West Oak Lane are also nice, middle class African American neighborhoods which people tend to dismiss as being ghetto.

Stop being ridiculous.
That's some pretty righteous indignation right there, but not everybody agrees with your boundaries. I've always considered Girard to be the border of North Philly. Of course, that's based on my own opinion and not Wikipedia. But it's splitting hairs so getting huffy about it seems pretty unproductive.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:52 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,317,087 times
I have driven through all these neighborhoods in daytime and never felt threatened. I think the key is to avoid large groups of people, particularly young people when you are sightseeing. Don't forget the OP isn't looking to buy a house (I don't think) but is aproaching this more as a tourist. (I am a white male senior and have always owned a nice car) A lot of these places I wouldn't want to be on foot or waiting for a bus. I have driven through some neighborhoods, particularly in Mexico, Los Angles and Miami where I was scared to death to even stop for a red light. I don't know any Philly neighborhood that bad, except after dark on a hot summer night when the locals gather on a street corner and they are drinking.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:23 PM

469 posts, read 740,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I worked at Bridge and Pratt

I always got off the El at kensington and Allengheny

I had to do workshops for my job at 20th and Berks

I caught the bus to germantown and chelten ave

I had to go to 55th and baltimore from time to time
So you are making a blanket statement about Germantown because you took the bus at Germantown and Chelten ave.
The same with North Philly because you do workshops at 20th and Berks. Thank you for answering me. That`s all I need to know.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:27 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 48,387,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin19119 View Post
So you are making a blanket statement about Germantown because you took the bus at Germantown and Chelten ave.
The same with North Philly because you do workshops at 20th and Berks. Thank you for answering me. That`s all I need to know.

That and what I see on the news. All those areas came to mind because it's the areas I hear about the most on the news. I would be surprised if there was crime in one of those areas today.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideTillIDie View Post
If you come through Philly, what individual neighborhoods should you avoid? And I mean individual dangerous neighborhoods, not city regions.
If you do come to Philly and drive around. You will see some people on here ,have know ideal what they are talking about. It`s like me saying the whole Southside of Chicago is dangerous ,because I took the bus on a corner that I didn`t like.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:36 PM
FBJ

Quote:
If you do come to Philly and drive around. You will see some people on here ,have know ideal what they are talking about. It`s like me saying the whole Southside of Chicago is dangerous ,because I took the bus on a corner that I didn`t like.

So if I hear about crime in Germantown all the time on the news am I supposed to think it's a nice area?

Old 01-13-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
That and what I see on the news. All those areas came to mind because it's the areas I hear about the most on the news. I would be surprised if there was crime in one of those areas today.
LOL! the more you post the more I learn. You have no ideal how big Germantown and North Philly is. There are parts of Germantown that you would think you were in the suburbs. You wouldn`t know that because it doesn`t make the NEWS!

Old 01-13-2013, 04:43 PM
FBJ

Quote:
LOL! the more you post the more I learn. You have no ideal how big Germantown and North Philly is. There are parts of Germantown that you would think you were in the suburbs. You wouldn`t know that because it doesn`t make the NEWS!

I think I know, Chelten and Pulaski area

Old 01-13-2013, 09:10 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,995,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Whether or not they're all "bad" I can't imagine a legitimate reason to visit for someone not specifically there to see a friend or family member.
The bars in Kensington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia