U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 12:26 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,443,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
So if I hear about crime in Germantown all the time on the news am I supposed to think it's a nice area?
It's not all of Germantown... it's mostly East Germantown. The western half of the neighborhood is very nice. It is a big area.

Very nice section of Germantown
philadelphia - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
So if I hear about crime in Germantown all the time on the news am I supposed to think it's a nice area?
Do you base your opinion on everything on what the news has to say for it? Why don't you explore these areas and form your own opinion. Stop sitting inside and relying on the news to tell you how to feel and what to be afraid of. There is nothing to be afraid of. The news purposely leads with and tells you about all the bad things happening in the world. They rarely tell you about anything good, and if they do, it won't be the top story. Stop watching the news so much, like every other media source, they need to get views, and they will go to any extreme to get those views and be more watched than their competitors.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:28 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 48,734,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Do you base your opinion on everything on what the news has to say for it? Why don't you explore these areas and form your own opinion. Stop sitting inside and relying on the news to tell you how to feel and what to be afraid of. There is nothing to be afraid of. The news purposely leads with and tells you about all the bad things happening in the world. They rarely tell you about anything good, and if they do, it won't be the top story. Stop watching the news so much, like every other media source, they need to get views, and they will go to any extreme to get those views and be more watched than their competitors.

Yes I am watching the news to determine where I want to move to next. And these are the areas I never hear about which is why they are high on my list

Bala Cnywd
University City
Powelton
Manayunk
Fairmount

Old 01-14-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Yes I am watching the news to determine where I want to move to next. And these are the areas I never hear about which is why they are high on my list

Bala Cnywd
University City
Powelton
Manayunk
Fairmount
Bala Cynwyd is in Montgomery County

Old 01-14-2013, 07:11 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Bala Cynwyd is in Montgomery County

City Line Avenue area

Old 01-16-2013, 12:43 AM

18 posts, read 24,567 times
Default The most most accurate answer

Here's the most accurate answer to your question:

North Philly
Southwest Philly
Point Breeze
Kensington

Anyone who has spent significant time in PHI knows these are very impoverished areas w/ lots of crime and drugs

Also, nobody who lives in Fairmount or NL say they live in "North Philly". Maybe on some ancient map somewhere there might be some boundary and label that includes these areas in North Philly, but in common speak by real Philadelphians, residents of these n'hoods do not identify themselves as being from North Philly and if they did it would be misleading.

Generally, the areas around Temple and closer to CC, near Girard, Thompson, etc. are the areas that have seen investment and improvement. NP West of Broad (West on Allegheny, Hunting Park) and Kensington along Kensington Ave or West, are in very poor condition. SW Philly is very poor w/ lots of crime, as is Point Breeze, especially in areas further west and south.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,524,936 times
Quote:

Bala Cnywd
University City
Powelton
Manayunk
Fairmount
Man fatally shoots intruder

Old 01-16-2013, 09:05 AM

7,962 posts, read 17,689,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nifear View Post
It's the city; unfortunately "stuff happens" even in Center City and Chestnut Hill. Powelton Village isn't "perfect" but it's far from "outlaw country."

Old 01-16-2013, 06:20 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifear View Post

Have to reevaluate the Powelton area

Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 PM

7,962 posts, read 17,689,566 times
Quote:
Have to reevaluate the Powelton area
You'll probably want to re-evaluate University City as well then. While crime isn't necessarily as brazen as the Powelton Village incident, "stuff happens" there too. Of course, there are also $500K homes there as well as the sought-after Penn Alexander elementary school.

With Drexel's expanding presence inspiring redevelopment through Powelton Village and knocking on the door of not-so-popular Mantua, I believe the home invasion incidence is an outlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia