Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Whether or not they're all "bad" I can't imagine a legitimate reason to visit for someone not specifically there to see a friend or family member.
I can imagine a bunch of reasons.

Historic Germantown

Even the New York Times says so.

Historic Philadelphia - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 10:44 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Have to agree with Mr. Cohen. Germantown is a great place for people with an interest in history. I'd love to see a stronger marketing push regarding this.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:13 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The only section I can see a visitor in is North Philadelphia because of Temple Sports
You do realize Fairmount (Eastern State Penitentiary), and Northern Liberties (great bars and nightlife) are within North Philadelphia right?

Old 01-13-2013, 11:27 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
You do realize Fairmount (Eastern State Penitentiary), and Northern Liberties (great bars and nightlife) are within North Philadelphia right?

I never considered Fairmount part of North Philly but I guess it's up for debate.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 AM

364 posts, read 732,358 times
No one would think of either of those as within North Philly. Yes they are above Girard but Fairmont Ave and Cecil B Moore or Montgomery Ave (outside of Temple) are worlds apart.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:38 AM

469 posts, read 924,812 times
Quote:
Neighborhoods to avoid in Philly

1. Frankford
2. Kensington
3. North Philadelphia
4. Germantown
5. Southwest Philly
Except for what you READ on here. How much do you really know about the areas on your list? How much time have you spent in these areas? I`M not saying you are right or wrong, I`M just curious.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:40 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
I never considered Fairmount part of North Philly but I guess it's up for debate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirk View Post
No one would think of either of those as within North Philly. Yes they are above Girard but Fairmont Ave and Cecil B Moore or Montgomery Ave (outside of Temple) are worlds apart.
I'm sick of this consensus that "just because they aren't ghettos, they are not North Philadelphia"

Historically, anything North of Vine Street is North Philadelphia (historically known as the 'Northern Liberties'). Today it tends to be "anything North of Spring Garden is North Philadelphia."

Fairmount, Spring Garden, Poplar and Northern Liberties are all nice neighborhoods within North Philadelphia. Brewerytown, Francisville, Spring Arts, West Poplar, Olde Kensington, Yorktown, Templetown, Parts of Sharswood and Ludlow are Gentrifying neighborhoods. When these neighborhoods become nice are they no longer going to parts of North Philadelphia either?

Fairmount, Poplar and Spring Garden were once ghettos which became gentrified. NoLibs was basically a barren post-industrial area that was revitalized.

Fishtown, Kensington, Port Richmond, however, are the Riverwards, not North Philadelphia.

Also, neighborhoods way up North like East and West Oak Lane are also nice, middle class African American neighborhoods which people tend to dismiss as being ghetto.

Stop being ridiculous.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:40 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin19119 View Post
Except for what you READ on here. How much do you really know about the areas on your list? How much time have you spent in these areas? I`M not saying you are right or wrong, I`M just curious.

I used to work in Frankford

I used to date someone in Kensington

I have family in North Philadelphia

I used to date someone in Germantown

I used to date someone in Southwest

Old 01-13-2013, 12:11 PM

469 posts, read 924,812 times
Quote:
I used to work in Frankford

I used to date someone in Kensington

I have family in North Philadelphia

I used to date someone in Germantown

I used to date someone in Southwest
Can you be more specific? Because I`M sure you know some parts of East and West Germantown , are like night and day.
The same as North Philly. A lot of people on here couldn`t afford some parts of North Philly.With your vast knowledge of the areas due to your social life.I`M shocked that you are painting them with a broad brush.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:14 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin19119 View Post
Can you be more specific? Because I`M sure you know some parts of East and West Germantown , are like night and day.
The same as North Philly. A lot of people on here couldn`t afford some parts of North Philly.With your vast knowledge of the areas due to your social life.I`M shocked that you are painting them with a broad brush.

I worked at Bridge and Pratt

I always got off the El at kensington and Allengheny

I had to do workshops for my job at 20th and Berks

I caught the bus to germantown and chelten ave

I had to go to 55th and baltimore from time to time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia