Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:38 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Using your table my tax rate is 1.9%..
Okay, so you paying 1.9% in prop taxes in (I assume) Moorestown, NJ means you have a total tax rate of 8.27%

In Philadelphia, after AVI, someone will be paying a total of 8.298%

0.03% more to live in the city is not "THREE" times as much more... as you so kindly stated.

Also, 1.9% is the lowest in NJ, so convenient that you picked that. Collingswood, NJ, which you usually recommend people live in, has a property tax of 3.016%, meaning 9.386% in taxes total in Collingswood vs 8.298% in Philadelphia. Or Cinnaminson, 2.353% in property taxes for a total of 8.723%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 04:22 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Ill copy and paste how a Philly residents pays **THREE** times I do.. Read it slow, maybe you will understand it this time..

lets see. I pay 6k a year for prop tax... we make close to 200k so wage tax would be $8k + $10k the taha will pay for a condo.. $6k vs $18k..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Okay, so you paying 1.9% in prop taxes in (I assume) Moorestown, NJ means you have a total tax rate of 8.27%

In Philadelphia, after AVI, someone will be paying a total of 8.298%

0.03% more to live in the city is not "THREE" times as much more... as you so kindly stated.

Also, 1.9% is the lowest in NJ, so convenient that you picked that. Collingswood, NJ, which you usually recommend people live in, has a property tax of 3.016%, meaning 9.386% in taxes total in Collingswood vs 8.298% in Philadelphia. Or Cinnaminson, 2.353% in property taxes for a total of 8.723%.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:43 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,092 times
Quote:
Ill copy and paste how a Philly residents pays **THREE** times I do.. Read it slow, maybe you will understand it this time..

lets see. I pay 6k a year for prop tax... we make close to 200k so wage tax would be $8k + $10k the taha will pay for a condo.. $6k vs $18k..
Maybe I am slow or missing something. Maybe both.

what is taha?

In NJ you pay 6.37% on your income(NJ income), PA would be 6.998% (City Wage & PA). Right?

Then living expenses would be based on where you live. You can always say one spot is going to cost you more than the other. All depends on where and what you buy.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:59 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
Maybe I am slow or missing something. Maybe both.

what is taha?

In NJ you pay 6.37% on your income(NJ income), PA would be 6.998% (City Wage & PA). Right?

Then living expenses would be based on where you live. You can always say one spot is going to cost you more than the other. All depends on where and what you buy.
Yes - 6.37% in NJ, 6.998% in PA (state + city). That's income taxes.

Frank, I don't understand your point either. I think you typed something incorrectly. We all seem to agree that the income tax hit will be close in NatasNJ's situation. I don't see your logic on property taxes.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:21 AM

We are comparing Philly to NJ. I don't pay any city wage tax in NJ. I would in Philly. City wage at 200k a year would be $8000(which I do not pay in NJ) Taha(the op in the AVI thread) will be paying $10k a year for prop taxes after the AVI change in Philly for his condo. So.. If I lived there, I would be paying $18k a year($10k for prop taxes & $8k for wage tax) as compared to my property taxes of $6k a year where we are now. $18k a year in Philly and $6k a year in Jersey. .. I'm not talking income taxes, just the prop/wage tax..

Old 01-24-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
We are comparing Philly to NJ. I don't pay any city wage tax in NJ. I would in Philly. City wage at 200k a year would be $8000(which I do not pay in NJ) Taha(the op in the AVI thread) will be paying $10k a year for prop taxes after the AVI change in Philly for his condo. So.. If I lived there, I would be paying $18k a year($10k for prop taxes & $8k for wage tax) as compared to my property taxes of $6k a year where we are now. $18k a year in Philly and $6k a year in Jersey. .. I'm not talking income taxes, just the prop/wage tax..
Still lost. Why are you excluding income taxes in your breakdown? Since NJ is DOUBLE the PA income tax level at salaries over 75k? Your NJ vs PA income tax % is SURELY not EQUAL at 200k. So that 12740 (NJ) vs 6140 (PA) So there closes the gap 6.5k. And you are comparing YOUR property to someone elses whose property is possibly more expensive than yours. Once again not a fair comparison.

Your 3x more scenario is meaningless since you pick and choose what you are comparing and the sides are clearly unbalanced.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:50 AM

Our homes are equal value. Including the higher income taxes in NJ, its still not even close..

Old 01-24-2013, 08:37 AM

283 posts, read 607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
Still lost. Why are you excluding income taxes in your breakdown? Since NJ is DOUBLE the PA income tax level at salaries over 75k? Your NJ vs PA income tax % is SURELY not EQUAL at 200k. So that 12740 (NJ) vs 6140 (PA) So there closes the gap 6.5k. And you are comparing YOUR property to someone elses whose property is possibly more expensive than yours. Once again not a fair comparison.

Your 3x more scenario is meaningless since you pick and choose what you are comparing and the sides are clearly unbalanced.
You are right that it depends on the situation. In the original poster's situation, the income tax situation will probably be higher in the city by about 3-4%, keeping all other expenses (rents, parking, etc.) out of the equation (just for comparison purposes of state/local tax liabilities). It may be a little lower if the OP is able to itemize versus take the standard deduction.

NJ offers an income credit for taxes paid to another jurisdiction (Philadelphia wage qualifies) or a deduction/credit for property taxes. The NJ effective rates after all of the deductions/credits is usually much lower than the highest bracket. It's especially attractive for people who work in Philadelphia becuase you effectively no longer pay city wage tax (that money credits against your NJ state income tax liability).

If you live and work in NJ, you break even because of bridge tolls. Here's my experience in Collingswood (I work in NJ just like the OP):

4% effective NJ State income tax + 7% property tax (as a percentage of income) = 3% PA state tax + 4% Philadelphia wage + 2% property tax + 1.5% DRPA bridge tolls (pre-tax, 45 weeks/year)

For me, it's a difference of a $500/year or so in favor of PA. However, that's before expenses like increased rents, gas for commuting, monthly parking expenses, etc. Obviously, this isn't meant to be taken as tax advice, but it's just to help illustrate that the expenses can be much closer than it seems at first glance.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:23 AM

Here is my current breakdown:

NJ:
State Income tax - 6.37%
Property Taxes - $8400/yr
Two Cars - $1300/yr Insurance + upkeep (~$2000/yr?) + gas (~$2400/yr)
Mortgage - ~$1500/m
Tax deduction - Probably $2000 savings.

PA:
State Income tax - 3.07%
City Wage Tax - 3.928%
Rent - ~$2200/m (assuming to rent vs buy for now)
One Car - ~$600/yr Insurance + upkeep (~$1000/yr?) + gas (~$600/yr) or Zero car and stick to car share.
Train(work commute) - ~1000/yr (worst case) probably closer to ~500 or less/yr. (commuter discounts)

So tough to figure out the (rent out house at hopefully at breakeven $) and tax deductions + rental income + house depreciation, etc... Assuming we rent out our house vs selling it. That is a future decision for sure. So just ballparking my current write off over std deduction in my ballpark tax bracket (probably a tad low but close).

So the quick numbers break out like this for me. Not taking into account possible savings/cost of utilities and minor things like that.

NJ costs me $39000/yr. PA costs me $38550.
So assuming the numbers above and assuming I am not missing anything drastic.
It is pretty damn close to a wash overall. Maybe even slight benefit for City. Assuming I can find a rental we like for $2200.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:35 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
You may want to look into the car insurance. I could see it increasing in the city.

Either way, it looks like, from a financial standpoint, there's not too huge of a difference, so maybe you should do what you want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia