Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 04:32 PM

14 posts, read 33,229 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Our family is considering a move to the Philly area, the job would be in Glen Mills. Like everyone else, we are looking for excellent schools (4 kids, college age through elementary) and a safe community. We do not want to live in a higher tax township/area. We prefer a new house, with quality construction taking precedence over square footage. (We're not interested in Toll Brothers, NV Homes, Orleans Homes etc.)

Can anyone point us to new home communities to look at during our visit in Glen Mills/Media/Chadds Ford? Our budget is 800-950k. From our internet browsing our favorite community so far is Andover by Vaughan and Sautter. We like the floor plans, lot sizes (although we are willing to go up to 1 acre) and the builder seems reputable. Except that were not crazy about the location (right next to Duffer's Tavern and some other businesses, close to some farm/Bates Motel, a few miles away from the Delaware County Jail) and the best lots are taken. Also, the subdivision is zoned for West Chester schools, and more specifically Rustin High School, which looks like a nice facility, but otherwise seems fine but not amazing from what we've seen on the internet.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Andover? Or any other suggestions for builders/subdivisions of new construction or newer homes to look at? We will connect with a realtor sometime soon, but wanted to see if there's more browsing to do via the internet.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 05:05 AM

15 posts, read 34,798 times
There is a local builder who does excellent work -- he has two developments in the Chadds Ford area that fall in your price range. His name is Steve Cope. His wife does all of the interior design work and it is a really winning combination. If you can do a little higher, there is another local quality builder that builds around the $1MM - 1.3MM price range. Each home is a quality product. The first guy is Glenelg Farms and Newlin Greene and the second is Parker Preserve. Both are medium sized, high quality, local builders who live in the area and build a great home.
The Unionville Chadds Ford School District incudes homes in parts of Kennett Square, Coatsville, West Chester etc... So, if you are targeting a school district, keep an open mind when you see the actual property address.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-25-2013 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: removed solicitation - your realtor logo is good enough.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:26 AM

15 posts, read 34,798 times
Default One More Thing

Also, if you are at all considering the Kennett Consolidated School District -- Greenwood Elementary area, there are a couple of great deals in your price point. Newer homes (less than 10 years) and available at a good value. One is a foreclosure that will be on the market in the next week or two -- should be priced around $850K in a 1.1 - 2MM neighborhood. Another is listed at just over $1MM but could probably be negotiated to your price point. Both of these are Wilkinson built homes. Local builder.
He is also doing new construction in one of the neighborhoods that is coming in right in the middle of your price range.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-25-2013 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: removed solicitation - your realtor logo is good enough.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 AM

9,317 posts, read 12,928,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daughteroftheforest View Post
Hello!

Our family is considering a move to the Philly area, the job would be in Glen Mills. Like everyone else, we are looking for excellent schools (4 kids, college age through elementary) and a safe community. We do not want to live in a higher tax township/area. We prefer a new house, with quality construction taking precedence over square footage. (We're not interested in Toll Brothers, NV Homes, Orleans Homes etc.)

Can anyone point us to new home communities to look at during our visit in Glen Mills/Media/Chadds Ford? Our budget is 800-950k. From our internet browsing our favorite community so far is Andover by Vaughan and Sautter. We like the floor plans, lot sizes (although we are willing to go up to 1 acre) and the builder seems reputable. Except that were not crazy about the location (right next to Duffer's Tavern and some other businesses, close to some farm/Bates Motel, a few miles away from the Delaware County Jail) and the best lots are taken. Also, the subdivision is zoned for West Chester schools, and more specifically Rustin High School, which looks like a nice facility, but otherwise seems fine but not amazing from what we've seen on the internet.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Andover? Or any other suggestions for builders/subdivisions of new construction or newer homes to look at? We will connect with a realtor sometime soon, but wanted to see if there's more browsing to do via the internet.

Thanks for your help!
That's a pretty tough sell in greater Philadelphia. While you can certainly find municipalities where taxes are low relative to the area, Pennsylvania is a higher tax burden state. Even (more like especially) in more downtrodden areas you'll be paying an arm and a leg relative to your property values.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:00 PM

33 posts, read 51,213 times
I would post a link but this website doesnt allow it. You can research the millage rate for each township by googling something like communtity property tax rates Chester County and Delaware County PA .. Most of the newer communities that you would be interested, the property tax rates are very very fair depending on what part of the country you are coming from. Closer to Media which is an older established area closer(easier commute) to the city your property taxes will be substancially higher.

I dont know of any specific newer communities but in regards to school districts. Unionville-Chadds Ford is the best in that area followed by Great Valley,Garnet Valley then West Chester.

Imo You can also expand your search to nearby communities as Glen Mills is a fairly easy commute to alot of places. Thornbury,Pocopson,West Chester,Malvern,Charlestown Township,Chester Springs,Yellow Springs,Edgmont,East Goshen,Willistown Township.

Good luck.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiabilinsky View Post
There is a local builder who does excellent work -- he has two developments in the Chadds Ford area that fall in your price range. His name is Steve Cope. His wife does all of the interior design work and it is a really winning combination. If you can do a little higher, there is another local quality builder that builds around the $1MM - 1.3MM price range. Each home is a quality product. The first guy is Glenelg Farms and Newlin Greene and the second is Parker Preserve. Both are medium sized, high quality, local builders who live in the area and build a great home.
The Unionville Chadds Ford School District incudes homes in parts of Kennett Square, Coatsville, West Chester etc... So, if you are targeting a school district, keep an open mind when you see the actual property address.
Thank you very much Sophia, I hadn't found any of the above communities you mentioned online. That information is very helpful. Regarding your other post, we are open to newer, previously owned homes as well. Just figured we'd start with new and work into resale if we don't find what we're looking for. You've given us some other places to check out, I appreciate it.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
That's a pretty tough sell in greater Philadelphia. While you can certainly find municipalities where taxes are low relative to the area, Pennsylvania is a higher tax burden state. Even (more like especially) in more downtrodden areas you'll be paying an arm and a leg relative to your property values.
I was being unclear, I am not looking for low taxes - I realize that I'l be paying more taxes than the state I am possibly moving from, which is Washington state. That's fine with me - I'm originally from Chicago suburbs, another high-tax area, and living here in the Seattle area I see how the schools, infrastructure, police force, etc. suffer greatly from the lack of adequate funding.

So I'm not looking for low taxes, but I'm not looking to move to a township with higher tax rates than its neighboring townships, unless there's a significant bump in services or school excellence. I took a look at the pewtrust report which shows the relative tax burden of Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs in NJ and PA, and I see the differences. I'd rather not lock myself into a $20k+ annual real estate tax by buying the in wrong place, and buying more house and land than we need.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
I would post a link but this website doesnt allow it. You can research the millage rate for each township by googling something like communtity property tax rates Chester County and Delaware County PA .. Most of the newer communities that you would be interested, the property tax rates are very very fair depending on what part of the country you are coming from. Closer to Media which is an older established area closer(easier commute) to the city your property taxes will be substancially higher.

I dont know of any specific newer communities but in regards to school districts. Unionville-Chadds Ford is the best in that area followed by Great Valley,Garnet Valley then West Chester.

Imo You can also expand your search to nearby communities as Glen Mills is a fairly easy commute to alot of places. Thornbury,Pocopson,West Chester,Malvern,Charlestown Township,Chester Springs,Yellow Springs,Edgmont,East Goshen,Willistown Township.

Good luck.
Thanks for the help, it can be confusing sorting out the townships vs. towns, boroughs, etc. Some websites are more helpful than others - the website of Chadds Ford township lists the mil rate, while Thornbury's site does not. I hadn't really considered the Great Valley school district, but I think that'd still be withing easy commuting distance, so I will look into Malvern, etc. Thanks again.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:15 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,171,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daughteroftheforest View Post
Hello!

Our family is considering a move to the Philly area, the job would be in Glen Mills. Like everyone else, we are looking for excellent schools (4 kids, college age through elementary) and a safe community.
Here are The 50 highest achieving High Schools in the 5 county Phill region Does not include South jersey and Delaware schools.Info from Pennsylvania Education Dept via Philadelphia Business Journal. My guess is that there are a couple hundred high schools in the region.

Unionville-Chadds Ford #3
Great Valley # 7
Garnet Valley #20
Penncrest(Media) #24
Rustin #33

My personal favorite area within commute to Glen Mills is the Great Valley area, if you get a chance ride ride N on Rt 401 and meander back through Charlestown Township towards Lionville,Pickering Valley, St Matthews . An old rustic area of horse farms, rolling hills, estates and lots of newer communities. Unionville Chadds Ford is not bad either, set in the very nice Brandywine Valley.

The 50 Phila.-area high schools with the best SAT scores, updated: Slideshow - Philadelphia Business Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by daughteroftheforest
Except that were not crazy about the location (right next to Duffer's Tavern and some other businesses, close to some farm/Bates Motel, a few miles away from the Delaware County Jail) and the best lots are taken. Also, the subdivision is zoned for West Chester schools, and more specifically Rustin High School, which looks like a nice facility, but otherwise seems fine but not amazing from what we've seen on the internet.

I can see where those businesses and institutions could be a detriment but I have never heard any issues or problems coming from that area. Bates Motel is just a farm that is a big draw around Halloween with a Haunted House. This area is just minutes from Ridley Creek State Park which is a recreational gem.

Another suggestion not from the Andover development would be to look and browse around Springton Lake area. This would be Rose Tree Media school district.

Sounds like it will be either Chester County or Delaware County are your best bets. You can google those county maps and they will help with figuring out townships/school districts etc etc.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:45 PM

9,349 posts, read 9,230,791 times
Not sure if there area any homes left. But maybe check out Brick House Farm by Glenn M.White Builders. That is in Edgemont about 5 minutes from Andover.

There is also Water Mill in Media Pa, same builder as Andover, they might be slightly out of your budget, but there have been a few lots available for a long time now, and any home in that area, near springton reservoir you would be happy with I'm sure.

I dont know if you want a neighborhood, but I do know of several custom homes all in the glen mills areas ranging from 600-1million+. there is a street called farmers lane across from duffers, where there have been a lot of tear downs and new construction, very quiet pretty street. I forget the name of the builder though sorry, but you could drive through.

And maybe look at Bentley homes website, they build nice homes in the area, some are just a little too showy.

Other than that just scour the market in Glen mills, media, chadds ford, newtown square areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia