Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:33 PM

364 posts, read 732,881 times

Advertisements

The inner main line towns will suit you wonderfully. Plenty of older, relatively affluent couples. Walkable with plenty of things to do. Ardmore would be a great fit. A porch? Sure thing. Valley Forge is very easy to get to. Plenty of back roads will take you there (those are great to beat traffic but can be a little iffy in the winter). Don't forget: you'd be able to walk to the train that will have you in Center City within 20 minutes. And the line even runs late on weekends so you can enjoy a restaurant, pub, show, etc. without being in a hurry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 12:47 PM

53 posts, read 102,631 times
oooh, I like Fairmount!

Old 02-02-2013, 01:05 PM

That's still a bear to get to Valley Forge though.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:10 PM

Thanks Mcquirk.
Ardmore sounds great too... I love the fact that it's walking distance to the train, gives me the best of both worlds.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:54 PM

712 posts, read 701,585 times
Ardmore is a good option as well. One thing to note since I mentioned Bala Cynwyd, train service to Ardmore and Narberth is much more frequent than to Bala Cynwyd. Chestnut Hill was mentioned in this thread. Defintitely take a look there. There is more that you can walk to than the inner Main Line towns. It's demograpically similar to them and it has good rail service to Center City. It's a little further from Valley Forge, but it's not an unbearable commute. As for Fairmount, it really comes down to how long a commute your husband can tolerate. It's the best location for commuting to Valley Forge if you really want to be in the heart of the city, but it's not what I would consider an easy commute.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:13 PM

Between Chestnut Hill and Fairmount, which is the worse commute?

Old 02-02-2013, 02:33 PM

712 posts, read 701,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth924 View Post
Between Chestnut Hill and Fairmount, which is the worse commute?
Fairmount. Chestnut Hill is closer to Valley Forge and there are more alternate routes that allow you to avoid getting on the Schuylkill Expressway (I-76). Congestion on that road and the lack of good alternate routes is what makes getting from Center City to Valley Forge such a challenge. Bear in mind that there are many people who reverse commute from Center City to the suburbs including Valley Forge. It's really a question of how much value does one place on living in the city vs spending time commuting.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:35 PM

Ah ok, thanks

Old 02-02-2013, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 890 times
Hi Elizabeth, I am a realtor here in center city, and have lived in many of the neighborhoods mentioned above. I also work for a company that owns and operates short term, furnished suites, so we would be happy to have you stay at one of the properties over your visit to Philadelphia. They are a nice alternatives to a hotel.

Feel free to get in touch with me by email. I would be so happy to help you and your husband with your relocation to the city - which has so many great options to offer.

Emily
emily@myphillycondo.com

Best of luck!

Old 02-02-2013, 02:45 PM

And don't forget that Fairmount is a parking nightmare. I don't live there, so keep me honest, but your hubby could spend another half hour finding on-street parking. Private parking isn't totally unreasonable but it's just another expense. There are some really cute places closer to the Art Museum that have smartly-designed private parking spots but they aren't houses with porches -- more like low-rise walk-ups.

Also research the Philadelphia City Wage Tax that your husband will pay even though he works in the burbs. That can be a bummer. Living in the city is great fun but it's tough when both partners don't work there, or at least can't get to their job on a one-seat train ride. It's no big deal to put in an extra hour at the office when you can walk home in 20 minutes but it's a big stinker when you're stuck waiting for the next train, or are stuck on 76 at the huge King of Prussia interchange and you're not in till 7:30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia