U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 AM

21,958 posts, read 30,846,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aynnotated View Post
Thank you both for your response. Fortunately, UPenn will be paying for my parking.

With the little knowledge that I have about PA, the plan that I formulated since my first post was the following: Live somewhere on the septa rail 7 line (like Cornwells Heights). That way my spouse can take septa to trenton, then switch to the NJ transit line. I was thinking that I could drive to UPenn. Although, it seems that I need to change my perspective on distance. How long do you think it would take me to drive to UPenn from Cornwells Heights?

I will have to research both of your responses, as I am not familiar with the locations of the cities you mentioned or even PATCO! Fishtown definitely sounds like it could be an option. I am hoping that pet-friendly places are easy to come by?

Pending all the information we gather, my spouse and I may choose to live apart for one year. He may stay in LA, while I move up there. In that case, I am assuming the closer I can get to UPenn, the better?

Thank you again. Your insight is invaluable to someone who has no idea what the area is like!
To get to Edison I would not recommend taking Septa/NJT - driving would be far easier (unless to the earlier point the job ir right by a station like Metro Park etc.)

Any rail commutes in these would be better for the UPenn aspect, though you could drive as well.

If you want to minimize both commutes I would look in Burlington County NJ, Mercer NJ or Bucks county PA.

I think you could do parts of Camden County as well (to the earlier poster another post in the NJ and/or NJ Suburbs of Philly forum might make sense as well to expand the answerts and likely find some folks in a similar situation)

One other thing to consider, what type of area do you wish to live in. City, burbs etc. That would also play a significant role

Best of luck
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 11:59 AM

7,780 posts, read 17,804,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

If you want to minimize both commutes I would look in Burlington County NJ, Mercer NJ or Bucks county PA.

Best of luck

This.. ^^^.. Best advise I have seen yet. Id go for Mercer. 1/2 way point

Old 02-06-2013, 12:24 PM

8 posts, read 9,164 times
We are really liking the idea of living near 30th street station so that I could walk/drive (on emergenices) to UPenn, and he could take Amtrak. We need to look at the numbers of course, but my husband said that in his mind, it may be worth getting a monthly Amtrak pass. His office is on Thornall St., and appears to be about a 5 minute walk from Metropark.

The reason that I am hesitant to live halfway is because I am moving for a medical internship and will be on-call/working nights a bunch. I just don't want to get caught in a situation where I am late to an emergency because of traffic. I was told 30 minutes should be my cut-off. The problem is that by lacking all knowledge of the city, I have no idea what distance 30 minutes can get me. If we were to look at an area like Mercer, how long would our commutes (roughly, of course) take?

The other big issue is that I have a cat and a 45lb border collie dog. And it appears like that is going to be the biggest problem of all, especially if we are trying to aim for a place near 30th street station. It looks like most of the residential areas are high-rises that only accept small dogs. Are there rental houses available near that station?

Regarding where we would like to live, I think we can manage in almost anything for one year. However, ideally I would like something with a park nearby for my dog if we are going to be in a high-rise, and obviously something safe. I am not sure about budget for rent yet... these are things we are saving for the weekend to sit down and talk about. Until then, I am going to compile all of your suggestions and figure out commutes. Then we will look into housing!

Old 02-06-2013, 12:37 PM

690 posts, read 2,644,123 times
Since your husband's office is on Thornall street in Edison (which is right off of the Metropark train station), I recommend living near 30th street station as well as he could take Amtrak everyday to work and you would be right by UPenn. However, what is your budget? The area is pricey as it is in the heart of Philly.

If you're husband is willing to do the SEPTA - NJ Transit commute to Edison, you can also look at the area around the Market East Train Station (11th & Market Streets) as they have direct SEPTA trains to Trenton where he can transfer to NJT. That area also has some more non-apartment bldg housing options within walking distance of the train station than 30th st does.

If you're looking outside the city, your 30min max commute time to UPenn will limit your options. I would advise looking at areas close to the Walt Whitman or Ben Franklin Bridges in NJ such as western Cherry Hill, Haddon Heights, Audubon, etc. You can get to UPenn in under 30min from there at most times of the day and your husband should be able to drive to Edison in 90min or less.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:18 PM

7 posts, read 8,726 times
Quote:
Hello all,

I am moving to Philadelphia in the summer to complete a one year internship at UPenn. My spouse and I are both from Louisiana (neither of us have lived elsewhere). He may be able to transfer jobs for one year to Edison, NJ. I keep reading about the traffic in these areas, and I wanted to know if it is at all feasible that we could live in between these two cities and somehow not have a crazy commute for either of us. It appears Trenton is the best halfway point, but I have no idea if that city has a good residential area. The major problem is that I will be on call and may have to commute to school at a moment's notice. I was told by my advisor that anything greater than 30 minutes may be too much. However, because I will be working crazy hours (usually interns work fairly early to late in the evening), I am hoping traffic will be less congested for me. However, I don't want my husband dealing with a long commute either.

I hear the public trains are expensive (are they?), but is the commute usually shorter vs. driving?

Thank you so much in advance! I am really excited (but also nervous about the snow!)
The only way it will work, if your spouse needs to get to Edison, is to live close to either Suburban Station or 30th Street Station in Philly (you'd take the train over to Trenton and then switch to a NJ Transit train directly to Edison) or live somewhere across the river from Philly (perhaps Cherry Hill, Collingswood, etc.) and have him drive up to Trenton or Hamilton Station and take a train to Edison from there. Either scenario would be a long commute, and traffic on the NJ Turnpike and I-295 is a nightmare during rush hour. While Edison may look like it's pretty close to Philly when you look at a map, the route between the two cities is not short or easy. It takes me about an hour and a half to get from Center City Philly to the Edison area, without major traffic problems. I would suggest you go to the PATCO website and look at the stops in NJ --- Lindenwold, Woodcrest, etc. --- and see if you can find housing close to that. Then he could hop on I-295 or the NJ Turnpike to get to Edison and you could take PATCO into the city (to the last stop at 16th and Locust) and then either walk or take the trolley or the subway over to Penn.

Having said all that, I think you will love being at Penn (my alma mater, so I am biased!). The campus is beautiful, you can walk right into Center City from there, public transportation is easy and cheap, and there are a ton of things to do. It may be cold here during the winter, but we haven't had a really good snowstorm in a couple of years (I mean one where the snow actually piles up and lasts more than a few days), so don't panic just yet. I hope this helped you. Best wishes...you're going to love Philly!

Old 02-06-2013, 03:21 PM

7 posts, read 8,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
This.. ^^^.. Best advise I have seen yet. Id go for Mercer. 1/2 way point
The problem with that is that both parties would have to drive quite a distance every day. It would be best if at least one of them could either get dropped off at a train station (PATCO or NJ Transit) or be able to walk to one. I would hate to have to drive home late at night from Penn all the way to Burlington County, especially as a newcomer to this area --- and one who isn't used to driving in snowy or icy weather.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:40 PM

2,373 posts, read 2,830,455 times
Quote:
Regarding where we would like to live, I think we can manage in almost anything for one year. However, ideally I would like something with a park nearby for my dog if we are going to be in a high-rise, and obviously something safe. I am not sure about budget for rent yet... these are things we are saving for the weekend to sit down and talk about. Until then, I am going to compile all of your suggestions and figure out commutes. Then we will look into housing!
I would go with the Clark Park area - you'd have to take a trolley to get to 30th St. but you'd still be close to the hospitals.

If it turns out that Amtrak won't work I'd look into Fishtown/Northern Liberties.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
Since your husband's office is on Thornall street in Edison

It's Woodbridge.

Metropark is in the Iselin section of Woodbridge Township.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:54 AM

690 posts, read 2,644,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
It's Woodbridge.

Metropark is in the Iselin section of Woodbridge Township.
I know the station is in Iselin/Woodbridge but those office buildings that are on Thornall on the other side of Wood Ave are actually in Edison.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
I know the station is in Iselin/Woodbridge but those office buildings that are on Thornall on the other side of Wood Ave are actually in Edison.

Ah, so they are.

I still think it would be better for the OP to say "Metropark" instead of Edison because in the world that's not the internet, when you say "I work in Edison" people are going to think Route 1, 287, 27, the train station, maybe the industrial park just off the Turnpike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or