U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 PM

8 posts, read 9,154 times

Advertisements

Hello again everyone!

The information that we have received on this thread has been very helpful! I cannot thank you guys enough! We are planning a trip there early to mid March. I was hoping you could continue to list neighborhoods/high rises that we should look into for housing. Ideally, we would like to live close to 30th street station. My spouse will take the Amtrak to Metropark, while I drive or walk to UPenn. We are currently interested in Tower Place (mainly because it allows pets/large breed dogs). I cannot find many reviews on this place; I am assuming because it is a recent development. Otherwise, here are the answers to the questions provided:

When are you moving? June 2013
Where are you coming from? Baton Rouge, LA
Why are you moving? One-year internship at UPenn
Where will you be working? UPenn & Edison, NJ
Have you been here yet? Nope!
Will you buy or rent? Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Any of the above, as long as it takes pets (including a cat & 45lb border collie). Our budget is $1800. We are willing to spend more for pet fees/parking
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Walk up (mainly for ease of walking the dog)
Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? Not exactly sure if this could apply to our situation. Read the posts above!
Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married; no kids
Do you have pets? Yes. 7lb siamese mix cat & 45lb border collie dog (These little guys are my life! They must move with me!)
Do you want or need a yard? Ideally, but a park close by will also do.
Are you keeping a car? Yes, one. However, if we live close to UPenn... I could keep it parked there at their expense.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet. However, with everything that I am asking, beggars cannot be choosers.
What do you want to be closest to? Ideally - 30th street station. But places like Tower Park that allow easy access to public transportation is also okay
Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? We like diversity. I would love to avoid the college life... but I don't know if that's possible based on where I am looking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 PM

187 posts, read 286,066 times
That apartment appears to be at Broad and Spring Garden - I would suggest you don't rent there. Your husband would have to take the Broad Street subway to the Market-Frankford line to get to 30th Street (unless there is a bus route that would go directly there, but buses still wouldn't be great). There must be a better option that takes bigger dogs.

You could live in University City area west of Penn (the Spruce Hill/Cedar Park/Walnut Hill areas). I'm sure you could find a place that would handle your pets (the apartments/houses are mostly in old Victorian homes and several story high apartment buildings - I live in this area and like it a lot). Your husband would then take the 34 trolley along Baltimore Ave (maybe the 13 or other lines depending on where you are) to 30th Street. The trolleys are kind of slow though, but at least he wouldn't have to transfer. Perhaps you could live very close to 40th Street terminal (40th and Baltimore) and then you'd have very frequent trolley service (as the trolleys all converge there and go underground) and be closer in towards 30th Street Station - but a very studenty area.

Alternatively in the University City area, if you lived close enough to 40th and Market or 46th and Market he could take the Market-Frankford El to 30th Street and transfer to Amtrak directly. These are faster, but the areas right around these stations are kind of dumpy and sketchy, so you'd probably want to live a block or two south of there - say south of Walnut Street near 46th and south of Chestnut near 40th (this is right in the middle of Penn Student ghetto). Note that if he arrived at 30th Street by subway or trolley, he would still have to walk above ground and walk a block to get to the train station - the train station and subway/trolley stations don't have a direct connection. This is not a big deal, but it adds another few minutes which will be important to your husband.

I think the best option might be to live in a high rise in Western Center City right on or close to Market Street (the Murano is one I can think of, not sure if it fits your budget or takes your dogs, but you can google the location) so then your husband can walk (or take public transit in a pinch) to 30th Street and you can walk, bike or take public transit to Penn. That is only if you could find an apartment in your price range and that would take your dog. You could also look at apartments east along the Market-Frankford line in close proximity to the stops.

I typed this out real quick so not sure if this advice is the end-all-be-all and someone else might have other ideas but I hope this gives you some perspective on what you'll be dealing with.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:21 AM

21,945 posts, read 30,810,834 times
Edgewater may be another possibility Plus the Apts/Lofts along 23rd Street South of Market would warrant a look

The closer to 3oth the better and Tower place literally just opened and would likely add 10-15 minutes commute for both of you. The location is ok but an area re-developing. For a first time Philly resident I might suggest closer to Market, even better south of Market between South and Market.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:04 PM

8 posts, read 9,154 times
We are scouring craigslist, trulia, and zillow for properties in the areas you have mentioned. We are heading up there in March. I cannot decide if I should enlist the help of a realtor or if we can just hop around one weekend and try to find a property on our own by having a schedule of walk-throughs. Though, considering this will be the first time we are in Philadelphia... it may be overwhelming!

With this trip we are planning, would we need to rent a car? The whole focus of this trip is to find an apartment, so we won't be exploring around too much. I read that we can take Septa's airport line to center city (assuming that is where our hotel will be). Basically - can we get around one weekend using public transportation and walking without needing a car?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:20 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,346,655 times
Yes^^ Public transit in Philadelphia is one of the best in the country. Center City is EXTREMELY walkable and extremely user friendly being on a grid system with streets going east and west and streets going north and south. Only one street runs diagonal in Center City (Ben Franklin Parkway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or