Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 01:01 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,680 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah, and make the Deleware "river walk" and the river front as a whole an actually desirable place for citizens to visit. I think it can be utilized for a lot of great events and various other things. As you go south, it gets a bit unfriendly for walking and the scenery is certainly not the best. It makes me feel like I'm in the suburbs or something. Capping the highways can definitely help make areas such as these and around Vine and the Parkway much more enjoyable. They should also make the trip north up the Delaware on foot enjoyable. I haven't tried it yet, but I believe they are working on this. I'm not sure what exactly is established, but a scenic route at least up to Penny Pack park would be a nice addition for the city.

Last edited by Cnote11; 02-08-2013 at 01:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 01:42 PM

289 posts, read 338,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I love Cavanaugh's River Deck and Morgan's Pier. Ever been there?
I've heard so many negative things about those waterfront clubs over the years, that I never bothered. What are they actually like?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Oh yeah, and make the Deleware "river walk" and the river front as a whole an actually desirable place for citizens to visit. I think it can be utilized for a lot of great events and various other things. As you go south, it gets a bit unfriendly for walking and the scenery is certainly not the best. It makes me feel like I'm in the suburbs or something. Capping the highways can definitely help make areas such as these and around Vine and the Parkway much more enjoyable. They should also make the trip north up the Delaware on foot enjoyable. I haven't tried it yet, but I believe they are working on this. I'm not sure what exactly is established, but a scenic route at least up to Penny Pack park would be a nice addition for the city.
95, near Penn's Landing should have been built underground.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:47 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,189 times
4. Would love to see a better connection between Temple U and Center City

I think this is happening slowly. Did you read that article quoted today by kidphilly about the mixed tower being built by Cira on 30th Street? I think that's the first step.
Also that p0rn theatre (which name I dont recall) will be demolished soon by the land owner. Let's hope something is going to be built in that strip there.
My wish list would be:
1. Some cafes with street seatings (heck I even don't mind yet another froyo cafe!)
2. One Starbucks or other generic coffee shop (the people will flock wherever there is Xbux!). People from Trader's Joe would simply cross the street to get their "caffeine intake".
3. Or better yet, A MOVIE THEATRE! An Imax one or something similar. It's almost walking distance to 30th Street Station. I know movie tehatres are dying in Center City, but hey this is just my dream....

If only the whole development in Philadelphia is just playing Cityville. Not only you can build whatever you like whenever with no zoning permit, etc, you can even cheat....:P

Old 02-08-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Perhaps I'm just disappointed by how Chinatown got pinned in by things like the Convention Center and the Gallery. Read my ramblings as such. I certainly feel like the area could have been more. I believe it will be more with development north, as there has been continuous immigration after all.
I don't think it's the worst thing in the world that Chinatown has the Gallery and Convention Center as "barriers." It gives it definitive borders. Just like I-95 and the Frankford Creek give Bridesburg definitive borders, there's no confusion to where you're at, you know who's neighborhood it is.
And, yes, there are a lot of Chinese residing north of Vine, which is a good thing for that area.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:06 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraC ynnaD View Post
I don't think it's the worst thing in the world that Chinatown has the Gallery and Convention Center as "barriers." It gives it definitive borders. Just like I-95 and the Frankford Creek give Bridesburg definitive borders, there's no confusion to where you're at, you know who's neighborhood it is.
And, yes, there are a lot of Chinese residing north of Vine, which is a good thing for that area.
Well, I don't think they are necessarily bad things either! Especially since the North was left open, which was actually planned to be taken over by different projects if I remember right, one being a new baseball stadium. At that time though, it seems like all those new projects were set to close Chinatown off for the future. I don't think neighborhoods should have TOO definitive of borders, because then it prevents growth.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't think they are necessarily bad things either! Especially since the North was left open, which was actually planned to be taken over by different projects if I remember right, one being a new baseball stadium. At that time though, it seems like all those new projects were set to close Chinatown off for the future. I don't think neighborhoods should have TOO definitive of borders, because then it prevents growth.
Yeah, that's true.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:38 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,651,760 times
The danger was that some of the projects, like the Convention Center and hotels, seemed like things that could have totally overwhelmed and destroyed the role and the nature of Chinatown, which was/is one of the most vital parts of Center City.

So I'm thrilled that Chinatown has somehow managed to thrive in the face of having big chunks of it overbuilt and hemmed in on all sides by all the various developments over the last few decades (the gallery I & II, the convention center, the convention center expansion, the detention center, the vine st expressway, etc..). Really impressive.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
The danger was that some of the projects, like the Convention Center and hotels, seemed like things that could have totally overwhelmed and destroyed the role and the nature of Chinatown, which was/is one of the most vital parts of Center City.

So I'm thrilled that Chinatown has somehow managed to thrive in the face of having big chunks of it overbuilt and hemmed in on all sides by all the various developments over the last few decades (the gallery I & II, the convention center, the convention center expansion, the detention center, the vine st expressway, etc..). Really impressive.
Good point.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:02 PM

630 posts, read 994,535 times
Tear down the row houses in downtown and replace them with a row of high-rises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia