Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 12:49 PM

289 posts, read 338,545 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia Chinatown Development Corporation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 11:22 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,680 times
I will definitely be there! Hope the weather isn't too bad.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,860,305 times
gung hay fat choy!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,310 times
I went to the Lion Dance Parade one year -- lots of fun, especially if you like fire crackers!!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:21 AM

I went to the midnight (really 11 PM) performance and ended it with some dessert and hot honey green tea from Mong Kok Station. I went to the morning parade as well. I had a lot of fun and ended up getting some great garlic plum duck at Sang Kee and delicious bubble tea from Tea Talk. I personally can't ask for more than that! The cabbage bit is my favorite part. Nice to see Chinatown bustling even more than usual. Every store was absolutely packed!

Old 02-11-2013, 03:04 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
I went to the midnight (really 11 PM) performance and ended it with some dessert and hot honey green tea from Mong Kok Station. I went to the morning parade as well. I had a lot of fun and ended up getting some great garlic plum duck at Sang Kee and delicious bubble tea from Tea Talk. I personally can't ask for more than that! The cabbage bit is my favorite part. Nice to see Chinatown bustling even more than usual. Every store was absolutely packed!
Cnote, you always have the most positive attitude in most of your post! LOVE IT!
I can see that you are a positive person in real life.

ANYWAY another food recommendation (LOL)
If you want AUTHENTIC Chinese food, you can always go to Four River. I personally dont like it BUT my friends who are from mainland china told me they are authentic.

ALSO try some malaysian food! (Similar to INdonesian)
Try BAnana LEaf. Roti Canai is a must appetizer!
Also Beef Rendang (mildly spicy) is delicious. Also try the shrimp puffs!

PENANG is another malaysian restaurant. It is also as awesome.

Try them both! ;D

Old 02-11-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
I got stuck having dinner at my girl's mom's house ... I do like Sang Kee and bubble tea, though.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:05 PM

Thanks, asiandudeyo. My friend from Hong Kong is always on about Roti Conai (she's originally from Malaysia), and yet I've yet to have it. I've seen all these places and plan to try them out sooner or later! Shrimp puffs sound absolutely delicious, but the name remind me of prawn crackers! Now I'm wanting some prawn crackers. Luckily, I have some in my cupboard.

rraC ynnaD, that isn't so bad! I made myself a delicious dish Saturday night before going out for the festivities under the cover of darkness. I went to the Asia Supermarket (such a generic name!) and picked up some Pixian doubanjiang avec chili oil and peppers, sichuan peppercorns, five spice powder, amongst other things. Then I went to Sook Hee's produce and picked up my weight in green vegetables. Combined all this with various other spices and what have you, pepper, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, soy sauce, etc with some dry-fried chicken served over jasmine rice. My only regret is that I could have made it even spicier! Also, should have bought more snow peas. Oh well... I quite enjoyed myself; however, the kitchen has not recovered from it as of yet! What did your (perhaps!?) mother-in-law-to-be make?

In addition, I love the extremely cheap noodles they have available at Asia Supermarket. 98 cents is good for 4 meals!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 PM

The usual, Cnote - pork, chicken, white rice and some kind of seaweed and vegetables, not bad, but I prefer "black" Chinese food. LOL!
You sound like quite the gourmet cook, your girl is a lucky woman. You ever have oxtail soup? My girl wants to make it for me ...

Old 02-11-2013, 09:05 PM

Pork, chicken, rice, seaweed and vegetables sound great to me. The Chinese honestly have the best vegetables ever. My fiancee is a billion times the cook I could ever hope to be. She's absolutely amazing and beats eating out any day of the week. I have had Oxtail soup! One of those polish heritage things, but I've also had other versions. I'm surprised you haven't had it! Perhaps you have, but you just didn't realise it was used for the soup base. The one thing about my mother growing up in a household where her grandparents were straight form Poland was that the recipes passed down for stews I ate growing up incorporated things like oxtail and gizzards and the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: