U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,108 times

Advertisements

I just got my first job in Malvern, I want to live where other young professionals live (but not in philly because of traffic). What options do I have? Also, what apartment places do you suggest for young professionals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 06:26 PM

362 posts, read 570,458 times
Vanguard? West Chester, Phoenixville, Ardmore and other inner main line towns. Skip Conshohocken and Manayunk. Consider taking the train and living in Center City and other areas near Suburban Station or 30th St.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:00 PM

187 posts, read 285,943 times
West Chester, Phoenixville and Media are the best towns nearby with decent bar scenes for people in their 20s. WC and Phoenixville commutes will probably be about 15 minutes assuming you are working in Great Valley area - Media a little farther. Closer in Main Line towns would be good too but your commute might be 45 minutes from Ardmore in rush hour (educated guess on these times).

Old 02-13-2013, 08:14 PM

I would not suggest Media. 252 is the only realistic route over to Malvern and being a two-lane road with lights it usually takes 45 minutes from Baltimore Pike to Rt 30 and Morehall Rd. Not a good commute.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 AM

59 posts, read 99,760 times
novi,

As someone who is literally in the exact same situation as you, and having grown up in the area, I'd suggest West Chester or Phoenixville for commute times.
Mcguirk is right that Media is going to be a hike with commute time.

In terms of apartments, check out Sharples Works in West Chester. Phoenixville seems to have some decent converted warehouse loft-style apartments as well.

From my research, Phoenixville is going to run a little cheaper on the rent side of things, but also is not as vibrant as West Chester. West Chester's downtown on most warm weekend nights gets packed, you'll see lines outside of many bars. If you'd rather a smaller scene, Phoenixville might be your spot.

Hope this helps, and if you work at where I think you do, I'll see you there!

Jonny

Old 02-14-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyNYC90 View Post
novi,

As someone who is literally in the exact same situation as you, and having grown up in the area, I'd suggest West Chester or Phoenixville for commute times.
Mcguirk is right that Media is going to be a hike with commute time.

In terms of apartments, check out Sharples Works in West Chester. Phoenixville seems to have some decent converted warehouse loft-style apartments as well.

From my research, Phoenixville is going to run a little cheaper on the rent side of things, but also is not as vibrant as West Chester. West Chester's downtown on most warm weekend nights gets packed, you'll see lines outside of many bars. If you'd rather a smaller scene, Phoenixville might be your spot.

Hope this helps, and if you work at where I think you do, I'll see you there!

Jonny

Hey... are you spying on me? I live at Sharples Works and I assume we both work at The Big Mutual Fund Company in Malvern.

It's expensive ($1400/mo for a 1000k sq foot two-level loft) and they desperately need to get rid of the carpet and install hardwood but otherwise it's a great place. Very quiet but there are other young people around if you want to meet some new friends. Maintenance and staff are nice and fast. My garbage disposal sprung a leak and it was replaced the next day. You have a lot of freedom regarding drilling holes, painting, pets, etc. We have a dog and we did some modifications like installing a Nest thermostat and removing the kitchen upper doors to create an open shelving feel and no one has said anything.

The best part is we can be in downtown West Chester in five minutes and still get away from the noise if we want.

My commute from here to The Big Mutual Fund Company in Malvern is about 15 minutes on 202 during off-hours. During rush hours I take Paoli Pike to 352 and I'm there in 25 minutes.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,999 times
I'm in the same boat. College senior starting at Vanguard in June. What is a good rental rate for a 1 bedroom in center city/ spring garden or any of the areas mentioned above?

Old 02-18-2013, 03:45 PM

As someone who may or may not work where you will be working, whobut, I would suggest you not make any references to this particular employer on any forum and especially not with a username that could in any way trace back to yor actual identity. They are a little stir-crazy there, as you will come to see.

Assuming you are entering the TLP program or it's business equivalent you can afford up to $1100-1200 excluding electric and cable. That will be less than one paycheck after taxes, so you have a whole second check for other expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia