Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,208 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My significant other and I are considering moving to Philly, and would like some local insight into our potential housing situation.

We are late 20s, with no kids in the immediate future.

We'd like a place with 2+ bedrooms, 1000+ sq ft.

Proximity to both Penn/HUP and Hahneman University Hospital would be a major determinant of location. We'd like to be able to get to both in <30 min on foot, by public transportation, or by car (though the expense of parking would cut into the rest of the budget). Is SEPTA safe/efficient at all times of day?

We could rent (budget ~$1500/mo) or buy (<$200,000).

We currently have 2 cars, but would be happy to be car-less if our location allowed.

Does anyone have any suggestions of places that might fit this criteria? Are there safe and relatively quiet neighborhoods might fit this description for renting and/or buying?

Thanks in advance for any advice! It's greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
You know both places are in the heart of the city and parking is expensive so although your budget is marginal it would be ideal for you to live downtown (we call it Center City) Try Philadelphia Apartments for Rent | Philadelphia PA Apartments | Philadelphia Pennsylvania Rentals to get an idea of Center City neighborhoods or Trulia - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Apartments for Rent, Local data with the rent option and zips 19103, 19102, 19107 and just outside the core 19130. Obviously the transit system slows down at night but there are still some buses running 24/7 and you can uually hail a cab on the street at 3AM.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:42 PM

156 posts, read 447,317 times
I'd say University City. You can rent a nice two bedroom for $1,500 a month, but probably even less. The HUP employee can walk to work or take a short bus ride. The Hahnemann employee can take the MFL. You could probably cut down to one car. Be aware that Penn employee parking is very expensive and I can't imagine Hahnemann is any better. Also, Philly car insurance is some of the highest in the country.

Penn has an employee mortgage assistance program. They give you a subsidy on your mortgage if you buy a house within University City. I'm not sure if health system employees are eligible, but some hospital employees are actually university paid. Ask an HR rep, they have materials available that detail it.

SEPTA sucks in the sense that it's very outdated technology wise, dirty and, during commuter hours, very crowded. But it's pretty reliable and also pretty cheap. After a certain hour (midnight?), the MFL turns into a bus line that runs pretty frequently.

Good luck!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 PM

53 posts, read 102,347 times
Center city or university city would be ideal for your situation. The market-frankford el can get you as close as 34 or 40th and market, and the trolley an get you as close as 33rd and baltimore.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:06 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCPHL View Post

SEPTA sucks in the sense that it's very outdated technology wise, dirty and, during commuter hours, very crowded. But it's pretty reliable and also pretty cheap. After a certain hour (midnight?), the MFL turns into a bus line that runs pretty frequently.

Good luck!
I get that you can have your own opinion, but aside from the fair system, how is it outdated exactly? They have fairly new subway cars and just rolled out an entire fleet of new commuter trains for the regional rail. Aside from some subway stations, I find SEPTA to be extremely clean and up to date (save the fair system). Certainly cleaner than a lot of NJ Transit trains I've ridden in my day.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:17 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
A 2br for $1,500 may be hard to find in Fitler Square/Rittenhouse Square but that would be ideal. Also University City along the trolley lines would be great.

If you want to buy for less than $200,000 South Philly still has some affordable options yet is very hot right now. You could take the subway to Hahneman and walk/bike across the South Street Bridge to HUP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: