Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 05:57 PM

9,343 posts, read 9,210,037 times

Advertisements

I do not know exactly, but it was a Dupont Estate called Foxcatcher Farm.

I actually gave you the link for the Christain School, not the site for Liseter. But here is the entire site plan from Tolls website.
Toll Brothers - Liseter - The Newtown Collection

Just drove by the site today. Really is sad. The land was basically rolling hills and trees now completely gone, with bulldozers everywhere. I enjoy more when I see spec houses built here and there in place of older smaller ranchers, which has become very common in Newtown Square, but a community of 450 homes is disappointing. I just hope Toll does a good job, because they are notorious for not having much character in their homes. There are other builders in the area who at least try to work with the landscape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 08:29 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,398,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Thanks for pointing out the area. Was that land once one of the Dupont estates? I know one of them used to live out there somewhere (the Villanova coach murderer)???

Anyway, I'm just one of those that hates seeing land destroyed for the sake of "upscale" living or really any housing development, though I know it's inevitable. I would prefer to keep the land "virgin" and have folks purchase established resale home - plenty to be found in that area. But people HAVE to have certain amenities these days, I guess.
Yep, it was the DuPont estate, and the site of the infamous murder of a wrestling coach by John DuPont. Just what we need...another Toll Brothers development.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:53 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,331,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Yep, it was the DuPont estate, and the site of the infamous murder of a wrestling coach by John DuPont. Just what we need...another Toll Brothers development.
Thanks, LibraGirl...I guess he's still in prison.
Wherever he is, the Toll Brothers people were able to pressure him into selling the land obviously. It's a shame. Whatever happened to the old days of America's wealthiest families donating land for parks (Longwood Gardens) and museums and such? There used to be a love of the land...now I guess it's every buck you can squeeze out of it - and speaking of "bucks" (no pun intended), I wonder how many dead dear ended up on rt. 252. from this development.

My old county (DELCO) has always been notorious and shameful for overdevelopment. Disgusting! I went crazy when they took a big chunk of Smedley Park for a storage depot!!! Edgemont held out for a long time - but now I understand they're slaughtering the land along rte. 3 as well even though there's plenty of shopping in both directions in Newtown Square and West Chester. What's next? Perhaps the local politicians will allow the "development" of big chunks of Ridley Creek State Park!!! Okay...rant over (for now).

Last edited by soulsurv; 04-28-2013 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-29-2013, 03:38 PM

9,343 posts, read 9,210,037 times
Quote:
Wherever he is, the Toll Brothers people were able to pressure him into selling the land obviously. It's a shame. Whatever happened to the old days of America's wealthiest families donating land for parks (Longwood Gardens) and museums and such? There used to be a love of the land...now I guess it's every buck you can squeeze out of it - and speaking of "bucks" (no pun intended), I wonder how many dead dear ended up on rt. 252. from this development.

My old county (DELCO) has always been notorious and shameful for overdevelopment. Disgusting! I went crazy when they took a big chunk of Smedley Park for a storage depot!!! Edgemont held out for a long time - but now I understand they're slaughtering the land along rte. 3 as well even though there's plenty of shopping in both directions in Newtown Square and West Chester. What's next? Perhaps the local politicians will allow the "development" of big chunks of Ridley Creek State Park!!! Okay...rant over (for now).

At least Linvilla Orchards signed an agreement not to sell any of their land for 99 years. The family signed that agreement in the late 1980s. That would be such a shame if that land ever got gobbled up.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
John DuPont died in prison over 2 years ago. Like you, I wondered why the DuPont family would let this property fall into the hands of developers. Apparently, John DuPont left 80% of his estate to a Bulgarian wrestler. DuPont family members tried to contest the will, but were unsucessful.

http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...s-movie-coming

Old 04-30-2013, 04:29 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,331,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
John DuPont died in prison over 2 years ago. Like you, I wondered why the DuPont family would let this property fall into the hands of developers. Apparently, John DuPont left 80% of his estate to a Bulgarian wrestler. DuPont family members tried to contest the will, but were unsucessful.

[url]http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20130422/OPINION1803/304220007/More-John-duPont-estate-sold-record-prices-movie-coming[/URL]
OMG 327 acres sold to TOLL BROTHERS!!! I need an Alka Seltzer...SERIOUSLY!

and cpomp, Linvilla Orchards is one of the very few bright spots remaining in DELCO, IMO

Old 05-01-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
OMG 327 acres sold to TOLL BROTHERS!!! I need an Alka Seltzer...SERIOUSLY!
I know, I know. I could have bawled my eyes out when I read what was happening to the DuPont estate.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:45 PM

421 posts, read 830,477 times
Who knew?: http://marplenewtown.patch.com/artic...rdi-s-93ede641
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia