U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:22 PM

7,413 posts, read 9,491,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Hmm. Not sure I could answer that one. I imagine pretty good as the district has a great tax base in terms of having residents with higher incomes, plus there's lots of commercial taxpayers (malls, shopping centers, office buildings, etc.) so the district is well-funded. In fact, the Colonial SD was nominated by Philadelphia Magazine a couple years ago as (I'm paraphrasing here) "a great school district for parents wanting who want to be near everything without having the need to brag that they live on the Main Line" or something like that. This will ruffle the feathers of the Main Line crowd on here but I'm just paraphrasing what the magazine said.
It's a dumb statement. There are pros and cons to each, and whether or not you endorse that view, it's somewhat misleading to tell it to a newcomer who isn't familiar with the area. I made a very fair response in the other thread if you'd like me to repost it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I would suspect that compared to Southern Ohio (Cincinnati?) that Philly's PA suburbs are "purple" in comparison. Generally lower taxes and better schools compared to the city appear to be a common denominator. Social issues appear to be moderate to center-right on average. I'm not sure if people go to church or synagogue in the 'burbs at an appreciably higher rate than in the city, but in either case "Where do you go to church?" won't be a common conversation starter.

Dare I say Haverford as well as Bryn Mawr and Swarthmore may lean a bit left if only because of the elite namesake liberal arts colleges. It may be more of a "Bobo" vibe, though.
I would add that the Main Line leans fiscally conservative and socially liberal, with Main Line Jews tending to
Be fairly liberal on both fronts (though there's definitely a sizeable economic conservative minority).

Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 PM

2,033 posts, read 4,028,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
It's a dumb statement. There are pros and cons to each, and whether or not you endorse that view, it's somewhat misleading to tell it to a newcomer who isn't familiar with the area. I made a very fair response in the other thread if you'd like me to repost it.
By all means repost your previous comment.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
By all means repost your previous comment.
This is somewhat context-specific, but I believe it gets the general point across:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Actually, there are a number of reasons besides "bragging rights" that many families prefer the Main Line.

I'm not saying it's the "only" place to live, or even the "best" place given the OP's needs, but one huge advantage I find it has over Plymouth Meeting, Lafayette Hill, Upper Dublin, etc, is its multitude of charming, historic, walkable areas. The former options are a lot more auto-centric and built in a "traditional suburban" mode, though the boroughs of Ambler and Conshohocken themselves are certainly exceptions. I will also say that while Plymouth Township is fairly cookie-cutter for the most part, the outer portions of Whitemarsh do have a bucolic, country estate feel not dissimilar to Gladwyne.

Of course, the Main Line cost premium is very real, and, understandably, not something everyone's interested in paying for. But it's untruthful to tout it as a completely artificial concept fueled by the shallow and prestige-driven.
I will say that Lafayette Hill does compare fairly well to Penn Valley, both of which are relatively high-income, post-war, auto-centric areas home to many new money Jews, though Penn Valley is somewhat more Jewish, upscale, conveniently located to Center City (along with the previously discussed historic, walkable Main Line areas), and in my opinion, more charming. Lafayette Hill has essentially equally great schools (other than a specialized program here and there, I doubt there's much difference from Lower Merion or Harriton) and is definitely a better value. It's also more convenient to the northern suburbs. Lafayette Hill would probably be a top choice for me if I were working in Fort Washington or Blue Bell.

I'm just saying one doesn't need to be promoted at the direct expense of the other.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 02-23-2013 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia