U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 01:46 PM

4 posts, read 5,574 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I plan to attend grad school (PsyD program) in the Philadelphia area (planning to apply to Chestnut Hill, LaSalle, PCOM, Widener, and/or Immaculata). My husband will be working in Philadelphia (near Center City) or King of Prussia, depending on which location he chooses. We have two kids, one who will be starting Kindergarten this coming school year, and another who will follow in a couple of years after. I'll be doing all the commuting/driving, while Husband will receive a transportation stipend from work to take the train or bus. I'm looking for recommendations of places to look. I have a list of neighborhoods to check out this weekend when we visit the area, but wanted to compare my list to others' recommendations. Thanks in advance!

When are you moving? This summer, though possible we may push it to mid-December.
Where are you coming from?
Virginia Beach, VA
Why are you moving?
Grad school (me), job (husband)
Where will you be working?
Full time student and stay at home mom
Have you been here yet?
For a week in December 2012, but are coming up again this weekend.

Will you buy or rent?
Rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? N/A
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Prefer a townhouse, rowhouse, single family, attached/bi-plex within the $900-$1300 range.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? N/A

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?
PA, city or suburb

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Married with two children
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Public
Do you have pets?
No
Do you want or need a yard?
Indifferent
Are you keeping a car?
Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
Indifferent, we are flexible, though quiet if possible

What do you want to be closest to?
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Train or subway stations
Work
Shopping
Nightlife

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
A younger family crowd with a bit of diversity (I'm Asian, husband is Caucasian), though I'm indifferent who lives around me as long as they're not conducting criminal activity that may affect my family

Coke or Pepsi?
Cherry coke
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 05:11 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,318,332 times
Have you looked through all the previous threads? Everything you need is already here. I can't think of anything more that anyone could add unless you have a specific question about one of your target areas that hasn't already been answered.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:27 PM

7,780 posts, read 17,782,845 times
exactly Bryson... Thanks

Old 02-22-2013, 06:24 AM

7,960 posts, read 17,600,009 times
Your housing budget may be a little low for the type of housing you're looking for in the areas - (north)western 'burbs - that you're likely to live. $1300 might get you a nicer 2-3BR apt in moderately comfortable suburban neighborhoods.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:52 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,318,332 times
If the goal is finding a nice place to live on a limited budget I am going to recommend far northeast Philadelphia, particularly 19114 Torresdale area . This area is really nice. It is reasonably centrally located. It has superior shopping choices, superior housing stock with great values, low crime, multiple ways to get to Center City quickly including freeway, train, bus and elevated. Did I mention how nice the people are here? You won't believe you are in Philadelphia. This area is not on most people's radar and I doubt if it was on the OP's original list. Also I'm sorry to be posting so late, too late for OP's 1st weekend trip.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:29 AM

7,780 posts, read 17,782,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
If the goal is finding a nice place to live on a limited budget I am going to recommend far northeast Philadelphia, particularly 19114 Torresdale area . This area is really nice. It is reasonably centrally located. It has superior shopping choices, superior housing stock with great values, low crime, multiple ways to get to Center City quickly including freeway, train, bus and elevated. Did I mention how nice the people are here? You won't believe you are in Philadelphia. This area is not on most people's radar and I doubt if it was on the OP's original list. Also I'm sorry to be posting so late, too late for OP's 1st weekend trip.

great area.. Its the closest to the suburbs you are finding in Philly. A lot of Police/politicians live there too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia