U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 09:26 PM

9 posts, read 8,963 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Shopping for a first, new home and saw a decent looking spot on East Butler Ave. in terms of walking distance shops and restaurants and Rail into the city for work. In searching I noticed that more than a few properties on that same block are or were recently up for sale. How is life up there? Just seems an inordinate amount of properties on the market in such a small vicinity of each other, in my opinion, so I thought I'd post to see if there is any undesirable news or trends that local folks are experiencing. I've read a lot of good things about ambler, myself, and will scout it out soon.

I saw some places in east falls that seemed great but until I searched around the net I didn't know anything about the projects and ghetto neighborhoods that were just a short walk "on the other side of the tracks" given the money it would have taken. I'm no stranger to urban life but it just seems to be a bit too NIMBYish when buying.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,005,960 times
It's a nice town; my family is from there, and I have 2 or 3 family members that still live in the Borough. The downtown has experienced a resurgence in recent years but it's not at the level of a West Chester or Doylestown. The school district (Wissahickon) is excellent. The train being right there is nice as well, and they have bulldozed some of the old industrial properties and built townhomes. Also, the old asbestos dumps outside of town (behind McDonald's) are being remediated. A developer floated a plan to build a 16-floor apartment building on that site but the NIMBY's fought it. I'd live in Ambler.

Ambler | Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia

Old 02-23-2013, 11:17 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,323,193 times
There are 250 for sales in 19002 which seem a little on the high side but it includes much more than just the borough which I guess your looking at. I have no insights but it seems like a prosperous area in general. The borough not so much. Are you drawn there because of the low prices? BTW you are spot on with East Falls. Most people are fooled by the gracious old houses and have no idea what is lurking nearby. It is certainly a neighborhood to lock your doors and set the alarm IMO.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:40 AM

2,431 posts, read 4,392,544 times
The area is VERY convenient to 309/Turnpike/Septa Rail. Not far from Philly.

They've done a great job revitalizing their main street. My parents are always going to the independent theater they have there, followed by dinner at various places in town (all very affordable).

They have their own weekly newspaper -- lots of info here: Ambler Gazette. There's an article this week about new townhouses being developed.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-23-2013 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Removed realtor link

Old 02-23-2013, 02:00 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,005,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
There are 250 for sales in 19002 which seem a little on the high side but it includes much more than just the borough which I guess your looking at. I have no insights but it seems like a prosperous area in general. The borough not so much. Are you drawn there because of the low prices?
What's wrong with Ambler Boro? Certain parts are not-so-nice, like behind the post office, and near McDonald's, but these areas are small. There are lots of nice areas in the Boro. Some of the nicer homes are older, and some are 60's-70's suburbia. It's a nice town.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:54 PM

208 posts, read 432,403 times
Uhm... isn't there a cancer cluster in Ambler? I had seen the asbestos factory on google maps, and when i googled it, the UPenn study of that cluster was the first thing that came up.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:32 PM

9 posts, read 8,963 times
Quote:
There are 250 for sales in 19002 which seem a little on the high side but it includes much more than just the borough which I guess your looking at. I have no insights but it seems like a prosperous area in general. The borough not so much. Are you drawn there because of the low prices? BTW you are spot on with East Falls. Most people are fooled by the gracious old houses and have no idea what is lurking nearby. It is certainly a neighborhood to lock your doors and set the alarm IMO.

I was drawn by the price + neighborhood in ambler. It seemed to have a little of everything, and the house doesn't require any major rework of the roof or utilities. It seemed the least tradeoffs were required though I do work in south philly.

I did hear about the asbestos dump, unless its uncovered and left to be kicked up by winds or people go there and dig around not sure that it would be a problem.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:54 PM

2,431 posts, read 4,392,544 times
Quote:
There are 250 for sales in 19002 which seem a little on the high side but it includes much more than just the borough which I guess your looking at.
Yes, the borough only has 14 homes listed for sale.

Many boroughs are small compared to the outer-lying township areas that share the same zip code and name. I had a link that lets you search by borough instead of zip, but it was deleted.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:48 AM

548 posts, read 1,776,036 times
We moved to Ambler/Whitpain township a few years ago from out of the area, and we are very glad we did. I don't live right in the borough though I would have loved to but there was nothing in our price range + met our needs at the time.

It's a great town with plenty of restaurants, shops, etc and the people have been nothing but nice, they really seem to care about their town and are very proud of its continued emergence. The movie theater, the playhouse, the new restaurants and the brewery (Forest & Main) have really helped put Ambler on the map of cool Philly-area towns.

There are a few pockets of less-than-desirable areas but it's hardly an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia