Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:30 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,100,739 times

Advertisements

Maybe you were on the Chester County portion of the Turnpike?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 11:37 AM

9,314 posts, read 12,907,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Maybe you were on the Chester County portion of the Turnpike?
Driving to Binghamton, probably not.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Driving to Binghamton, probably not.
The trip was from Binghamton to Atlantic City. So it's possible.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:55 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,698,254 times
Maybe Valley Forge or west dunno

Old 02-25-2013, 12:21 PM

17 posts, read 17,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
Could that be Manayunk? Did you see a gorgeous old Catholic Church standing out among the homes?
I don't recall a church standing out among the homes. I do remember thinking that these homes had been around for a while and the thought went through my mind that these were executive homes from the old steel days, but knowing nothing about PA or steel, it was just a thought. I just may have to drive that drive again.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:29 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,161,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeterborough View Post
Thank you. Just to confirm, you can see these homes from the highway, correct? And the highway is a winding one through beautiful hills. The scene is a bit surreal in fact because it is VERY usual to see ANY large old beautiful homes from a highway (!), let alone so many in a couple mile stretch, so beautiful. I guess that the highway had to be built after the homes? Very unusual. Anyone know how this happened?

I doubt its Allentown because that stretch of 476 up there is straight as an arrow(although there are housing developments lining the NE turnpike extension.

Were the houses interspersed? If so could have been the stretch of 476 from Conshohocken down to Media. 95 % of the development you wont see due to the highway sound barriers/walls but there are certain vantage points where you will see the mcmansions on the hillsides.

That stretch of 476 is called the Blue Route and is relatively new( 80's-90's) that runs through the affluent suburbs west of Philadelphia.This 26 mile highway extension that connected the PA Turnpike to I-95 was sorely needed but bitterly opposed.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:01 PM

17 posts, read 17,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I doubt its Allentown because that stretch of 476 up there is straight as an arrow(although there are housing developments lining the NE turnpike extension.

Were the houses interspersed? If so could have been the stretch of 476 from Conshohocken down to Media. 95 % of the development you wont see due to the highway sound barriers/walls but there are certain vantage points where you will see the mcmansions on the hillsides.

That stretch of 476 is called the Blue Route and is relatively new( 80's-90's) that runs through the affluent suburbs west of Philadelphia.This 26 mile highway extension that connected the PA Turnpike to I-95 was sorely needed but bitterly opposed.
Interesting. The houses were interspersed. No logic. Each house situated in different angle, some on almost cliff like hills. I'd say the houses were around 1000 yards from the highway. I remember getting the feeling that it was old money -- very old money. They weren't McMansions. These were literally picturesque properties, on a very grand scale, on great hills visible from the highway. The houses were far apart from another also. It certainly was not a subdivision, I can tell you that much. I remember thinking at the time, I bet that the guy who owned bethlehem steel lived there, etc....

Old 02-25-2013, 01:25 PM

53 posts, read 101,830 times
hmmmm.... This is a tough one. I highly doubt it was on the northeast extension because it is pretty flat between philadelphia and Allentown. Ill keep thinking.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:05 PM

9,314 posts, read 12,907,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
The trip was from Binghamton to Atlantic City. So it's possible.
Why would you go into Chester County though? To get to Binghamton, you take 476 to 81. The OP didn't mention taking a side trip.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Why would you go into Chester County though? To get to Binghamton, you take 476 to 81. The OP didn't mention taking a side trip.
That's true, of course. I guess I was reaching a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia