Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 04:42 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Total fictional story. It never happened
Whatever - it's really besides the point. My whole point was that whether it happened or not, it's completely irrelevant to this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 06:46 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
I agree. Just wanted to clear up that misinformation

Old 03-01-2013, 07:06 AM

LOL you haven't cleared anything up - I still believe it was based on an actual murder but I just felt it wasn't worth arguing and nickpicking about. Have at it if you want though

Old 03-01-2013, 07:30 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
LOL you haven't cleared anything up - I still believe it was based on an actual murder but I just felt it wasn't worth arguing and nickpicking about. Have at it if you want though
Is the movie the lovely bones based on a true story o.0? - Yahoo! Answers

Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agordon575 View Post
My husnband and I are relocating due to a new job and found a place on Noble Street near the state hospital.
Noble Street is usually quiet but can be a little dicey, and the closer your are to either Marshall Street, the dicier it gets.

When we were house hunting almost 8 years ago, we looked at a house on the 800 block of Noble. It was a nice house, big yard, pleasant neighbors, but my West Philly-bred spouse's radar went off and he was uneasy, so we found a house on the North End, near Eisenhower Middle School. There are very few problems in those neighborhoods.

If you're looking in Norristown, look at the north side of town, between Fornance Street and Johnson Highway, or the east side of town, east of Arch Street and north of Oak Street.

Drive around the neighborhood at various times of the day and night to see if you're comfortable there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Watch this movie if you want to know what people from norristown are like, it is set in norristown -

The Lovely Bones (2009) - IMDb
A fictional movie?

Old 03-02-2013, 03:26 AM

One random person saying it's not based on a murder with no sources whatsoever doesn't prove anything.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 3,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agordon575 View Post
Ok-
Right now i live in Warminster, originally from Lansdale and I am quite familiar with Norristown. I have always traveled through it but never really knew anyone who lived there. My husnband and I are relocating due to a new job and found a place on Noble Street near the state hospital. Driving up there, the streets beforehand made me extremely anxious-we actually witnessed a drug deal in the middle of the street, one guy dealing to another through a car window and they wouldn't even move over to let us pass! But to my surprise, Noble street seemed pretty quiet and nice, and the current tenants said they haven't had any issues, but they are in a BIG rush to leave, and i wonder why. Something just seems "off" I'd like to hear from some norristown residents to see what they think of this street/or area right by the state hospital and let me know. I don't want to sound completely full of myself, but i am an attractive young female who will be alone a lot because my husband works long hours, and I don't want to feel like I can't walk outside of my home alone. I really appreciate any feedback-and yes I understand that there is crime everywhere and that there will be some people that say Norristown is a sh*t hole, but I am looking to find out more specifically this area. Thanks!

Noble Street area is ok, but the closer you get away from Plymouth Meeting, the more "dicey" it gets. The closer you get to Plymouth Meeting (Sandy Hill Road, New Hope Steet, etc.), the better though. There is an apartment complex on New Hope Street and some house for sale at the end of New Hope (oak street and possibly some on Cedar St). I would suggest these, as to the proximity to the state hospital, but also to the convenience of the turnpike, shopping (Complex on Chemical Road, Plymouth Meeting Mall and even Germantown Pike), and Plymouth Meeting.

Only 7-10 minutes to Conshohocken as well.

I hope that helps.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:11 AM

69 posts, read 87,721 times
As someone who was in the same situation (not sure about Norristown, after hearing all about it from everyone else), I was extremely happy to buy my new construction house (Cedar Street, off of New Hope). There were a couple of things I did before committing to it:

1. Called the police station to get an idea of safety and crime. To my delight, I found out that the police station was actually about a mile or so away and the officer I spoke with said that the street I was looking at was fine.

2. Drove by after work one day and asked a neighbor-to-be that was walking her dog, what she thought about the house itself (same builder) and the neighborhood. She was pleased with both.

3. I drove through the surrounding neighborhoods and the street that I ended up on at different times of the day, including a 1AM drive through one night after traveling for work.

Doing these things gave me comfort about that neighborhood. As far as Noble street is concerned, I'm not quite sure about it. What I do agree with from previous posters, is that Norristown does have its bad parts, but there are some good ones.

Had I not moved to NY, I would have loved staying in my house. Hopefully when I list it soon, someone will find the happiness in it and in the neighborhood, that I had.

Good luck with your search and I hope you get the answers you are looking for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia