Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 4,774 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm fresh out of college and moving out in August to take a job in King of Prussia. From what I've heard, KOP is not the place to be in terms of a fun atmosphere, so I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on areas to live in the area. I'm open to commuting <30 mins or so, but I also want a spot that has things to do, preferably other people my age, and is also pretty accessible to getting in and out of the City Center, Eagles/Sixers stadium, etc.

So far from looking online, I have seen lots of suggestions for Manayunk, and also City Center proper (like Old City, Northern Liberties, or even Art Museum). However, I'm more weary of the CC because I hear parking is a *****, there are additional fees of some kind, and getting out onto the freeways can be hectic from there.

Any help greatly appreciated. I'm a Southern guy so I am pretty unfamiliar with the area. Thanks a lot!

- T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 12:10 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
King of Prussia is the largest employment and shopping hub in the area. It's possible that you may run into peers after-hours at some of the area restaurants. But you are correct that is not geared towards younger professionals.

Conshohocken might be your best bet for a midpoint between KOP and Center City that has decent options for younger professionals. West Chester would give you more social options closer to home with a decent commute to KOP although it would be a longer ride to Center City.

Center City is more pedestrian/transit-friendly so parking options will indeed be limited and expensive. And unless you're familiar with, say, Atlanta traffic, Philly's traffic will seem daunting. Some Center City "reverse commuters" find the ~4% city wage tax on residents worth it for being able to live near the cultural and nightlife hub of the area. It might be worth it to live closer to your job for a year, explore downtown on the weekends and come to your own conclusion as to what is more important in your lifestyle.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:56 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Conshohocken's a good pick. Phoenixville is another possibility. You may like Ardmore or Bryn Mawr as well, although the young people there are mostly students. West Chester is nice but a bit far.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:44 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
If you are looking to meet people the best places are a church, a health club or YMCA, your apartment complex and where you work. The actual town you live in isn't that important. K of P is as good an area as any since many younger folks work at the malls.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:25 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Conshohocken. If you prefer the city, look at Manayunk, University City (specifically Spruce Hill area), Faimrount (Art Museum area), and Center City. What is your preferred budget?

Old 03-05-2013, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,774 times
Thanks a lot for the info everyone.

So I am not really sure what the typical price range for housing is in Philly (much more expensive than Pittsburgh, I'd imagine), but I am looking for a 1BR apartment/loft, and hopefully with indoor parking (is that an unreasonable request?!?) I was thinking somewhere between $1000-1200 because I want a nice place, but I really don't know if that's what places like that go for closer to the city.

Another thing that is somewhat important to me is being able to get around easily using something like SEPTA. For example, I probably would want to head down to The Linc or Wells Fargo Center on the weekends, or CC/Northern Liberties at night while not having to worry about driving and parking. I imagine that is not so easy to do from Conshohocken as Manayunk or University City, and that will factor into my decision a little bit. Again a 20-30 minute commute is fine with me.

One more question, is it possible to use public transportation to get from the city to KOP? I know I read online, esp. regarding Manayunk and the hills, that driving can be a pain during the snowy season. It'd be nice to have the option of public transport out there on days when I don't feel like putting up with it, but I am not sure if this is feasible. Conshohocken would probably be bus-able, but from the city? What would I use to get there/how long would it typically take?

As always, any feedback and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 03-05-2013, 08:29 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thimal888 View Post
Thanks a lot for the info everyone.

One more question, is it possible to use public transportation to get from the city to KOP? I know I read online, esp. regarding Manayunk and the hills, that driving can be a pain during the snowy season. It'd be nice to have the option of public transport out there on days when I don't feel like putting up with it, but I am not sure if this is feasible. Conshohocken would probably be bus-able, but from the city? What would I use to get there/how long would it typically take?

As always, any feedback and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
SEPTA | Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority

Go to bus schedules and find Rt 124 and 125

Old 03-06-2013, 07:34 AM

333 posts, read 282,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thimal888 View Post
Another thing that is somewhat important to me is being able to get around easily using something like SEPTA. For example, I probably would want to head down to The Linc or Wells Fargo Center on the weekends, or CC/Northern Liberties at night while not having to worry about driving and parking. I imagine that is not so easy to do from Conshohocken as Manayunk or University City, and that will factor into my decision a little bit. Again a 20-30 minute commute is fine with me.
Conshy's not bad to Center City at all. It has two train stops (Spring Mill and Conshohocken) and is actually on the same line as Manayunk (Manayunk-Norristown line). It's about a 30-35 minute ride into the city; not always ideal, I know, but it's a decent option. And they do run late-night trains on Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia