U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 04:52 PM

8,149 posts, read 18,760,246 times

Advertisements

While some of the more recent part of the discussion is interesting, it is more appropriate for the History forum. So with that in mind: as of Post #170, let us return to discussing race and class in Philadelphia. Adherence to this will minimize deleted/edited posts as well as infractions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 PM

469 posts, read 816,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraC ynnaD View Post
Well, your people are certainly doing a good job of getting their "payback." And let's not forget that the slaves were sold by their own people.
As horrible as it sounds, you should be grateful that slavery occurred - if it didn't, you'd be living in that paradise known as Africa. I know, I know, Africa is a continent, but my point is: You're better off here and now than being in sub-Saharan Africa.
I'M of mixed race , so how do you know where I would of ended up? When you say my people , Who are you talking about? My father brought me up to treat people like I would want them to treat me. He didn't believe in turning the other cheek ,so you get what you give with me. I don't like what I see happening on the streets of Philly with SOME people(not a whole race), but I also know its not as cut and dry as people are making it.Like I said ,I didn't see the outrage with the way blacks were treated in this city during the 70's. LOL! I have a feeling you just like stirring the pot have fun

Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 PM

1,239 posts, read 1,769,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I'm sorry to read that you had to face bullying and other crimes in an unsupportive school environment. Given that your black peers were the primary culprits, I can understand how you would have lingering negative feelings. Racism can work in more multiple directions, for sure.

Regarding your views on history, not only is it comparing apples to oranges IMO but your point of reference is too short. A time frame starting in say, the 1600's, would be a better comparison albeit one that might not support your theory.
I don't have negative feelings about blacks. I feel they are being used. They are being used by people that present themselves as progressive or liberal whites and by their own black leaders. They reward poor behaviour with money and benefits...I've seen this go on for 50 years myself, and there is no real change for much of the black population...the ones that live on borderline poverty, in the ghettos.

The best move for true integration would be to take them out of the ghettos and move them throughout the country, or their own states. Eventually they would interact with their neighbors. The black leaders would never allow this - they would lose their constituency. But it would work both ways, as more of the other races would view their black neighbors based on their character...and they would share common needs.

Going back to the 1600s would show even more atrocities against whites. And more against blacks in Africa - by other blacks in Africa.

So yes, whites here do have some very legitimate complaints. And apparently the blacks, the liberals and the black leaders simply do not want the truth spoken. It diminishes their position "blacks as victims".

President Obama is turning out a bit different than the blacks and the liberals anticipated. But, as President he sees much more of both sides...He has to look at things objectively. He's not simply playing the political game. He is seeing a little more of the truer picture of things in The United States of America. And it's not what the progressive/liberals and black leaders want to be accepted as the truth.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I don't have negative feelings about blacks. I feel they are being used. They are being used by people that present themselves as progressive or liberal whites and by their own black leaders. They reward poor behaviour with money and benefits...I've seen this go on for 50 years myself, and there is no real change for much of the black population...the ones that live on borderline poverty, in the ghettos.

The best move for true integration would be to take them out of the ghettos and move them throughout the country, or their own states. Eventually they would interact with their neighbors. The black leaders would never allow this - they would lose their constituency. But it would work both ways, as more of the other races would view their black neighbors based on their character...and they would share common needs.

Going back to the 1600s would show even more atrocities against whites. And more against blacks in Africa - by other blacks in Africa.

So yes, whites here do have some very legitimate complaints. And apparently the blacks, the liberals and the black leaders simply do not want the truth spoken. It diminishes their position "blacks as victims".

President Obama is turning out a bit different than the blacks and the liberals anticipated. But, as President he sees much more of both sides...He has to look at things objectively. He's not simply playing the political game. He is seeing a little more of the truer picture of things in The United States of America. And it's not what the progressive/liberals and black leaders want to be accepted as the truth.
Points taken. At this point, I would ask that you honor the advisory made in post #171.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:30 PM

242 posts, read 307,736 times
One of the main reasons why I watch very little news and avoid forum topics like these because if you believe everything that you read, you'd think the country is a dreadful, dark place.

I thank god that I know better. I thank my mom and dad for giving me enough understanding as to how the world works. I'm glad I had Civil Rights generation parents. Even though they shared stories with me about how awful they were treated growing up, they never once said anything hateful about whites. Everyone deserves to be judged on a case by case basis.

It's unfortunate that some of you are massively narrow minded and have an over abundance of hate in your hearts.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:47 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,802,526 times
one of the most irresponsible editorials ever...

it's sad and doesn't represent anyone's opinions

Old 03-24-2013, 12:21 PM

Yet another viewpoint about the article and broader subject, focusing on the recent discussion at the National Constitution Center:

Killing the messenger

Old 03-25-2013, 12:35 PM

640 posts, read 1,146,906 times
Default 8 diverse areas in philly

The Pew Charitable Trusts recently came out with its 2013 State of the City report for Philadelphia. The report has a ton of interesting data about the city, and we'll highlight more of it this week.

For now, in light of the controversy this month over PhillyMag's "Being White in Philly" cover story, here are the eight most diverse zip codes in the city, according to the Pew report.

These are the eight neighborhoods in which no racial group makes up more than 50 percent of the zip code's population (the zip codes are listed here in numeric order):

1. West Philadelphia/University City (19104): 36 percent white, 41 percent black, 4 percent Hispanic, 16 percent Asian

2. Olney (19120): 8 percent white, 49 percent black, 28 percent Hispanic, 13 percent Asian

3. North Philadelphia-Yorktown (19122): 28 percent white, 38 percent black, 28 percent Hispanic, 3 percent Asian

4. Northern Liberties/Spring Garden (19123): 41 percent white, 42 percent black, 9 percent Hispanic, 5 percent Asian

5. Northeast-Frankford (19124): 21 percent white, 39 percent black, 33 percent Hispanic, 5 percent Asian

6. Port Richmond (19134): 36 percent white, 17 percent black, 44 percent Hispanic, 2 percent Asian

7. South Philadelphia-West (19145): 44 percent white, 36 percent black, 4 percent Hispanic, 14 percent Asian

8. Northeast-Mayfair/Oxford Circle (19149): 44 percent white, 22 percent black, 17 percent Hispanic, 13 percent Asian

Old 04-15-2013, 03:20 AM

243 posts, read 415,241 times
Russian people are often very racist (I myself am from former USSR) and the last person to ask about black people is Anna from Moscow.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:29 AM

243 posts, read 415,241 times
Generally, there is a renaissance going on, everything which has high density, walkable and accesible to public transit will be eventually gentrified and filled with upper-middle-class young folks of all colors. It is happening to Chicago, to Pittsburgh, to San Francisco, to Brooklyn etc so there is nothing to worry for the author.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or