Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:42 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,875,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Just asking that's all. I know people sometimes have hidden agendas when they do topics like this.
screw that. You know I would pull no punches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 10:43 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,875,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I don't get the point. Is this bad Frank?

Philly is far from unique in the aspect of becoming more diverse: "Many cities in the United States became majority-minority by 2010. Out of the cities that had a peak population of 500,000 or more before 1990, the cities that fit into this category include Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Washington D.C., Chicago, Baltimore, Boston, Detroit, St. Louis, Buffalo, New York City, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, New Orleans, Memphis, Dallas, El Paso, Houston, and San Antonio." Majority minority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like all the Top 10 are listed. It would seem very odd if this Philly were not experiencing the same phenomenon. The fact that Philly mag is just discovering this would indicate they are not exactly a good source for "breaking news."

oh lord..

Old 03-05-2013, 11:01 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
oh lord..
I don't even know what that means. Do you have a point or a comment on my post?

I should be the one using emoticons:

Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,651,391 times
The only (not so groundbreaking) point in that article that I think has any value, with this thread and all comments on the PhillyMag site being supporting evidence for it, is that it is very difficult to have an open discussion about race in America.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:45 PM

289 posts, read 338,532 times
Hell, even the people here are afraid to be honest about black/white relations and attitudes in Philadelphia.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:53 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Being White in Philly | Philadelphia magazine

Interesting.. And there are those who say that Temple is safe..

Basically.. The whites are moving to the burbs.. The city is turning into a black city..
Have you ever been to Temple or the surrounding area? I know you haven't. Not only is Temple's campus very nice, but it is one of the safest locations in the city. Virtually zero crimes happen on Temple's campus. As for the surrounding area, it depends where you go. Everyone knows you don't live past 18th... unless you are down by Berks Street where that is changing and development is pushing past 18th. Also, you don't live North of Susquehanna, unless you are on Park Ave, where that is changing. There is a defined area where students live, and anyone with a brain, wouldn't live passed that area... its very clear the person in this article, did not do any research what so ever. Most of the students that run into problems live outside of the area I mentioned. Inside the area I mentioned, it is actually becoming quite nice. New construction is going up everywhere. I can think of at least 25 rowhomes being built just within those boundaries. There are always students out walking around, even to the wee hours of the mornings... especially wednesday through sunday. I know you have never stepped foot in that area, so please don't try to generalize. Also, the locals I have met there are some of the nicest people I ever met. They would say hi to me every day and ask how I was doing. I don't get that same friendliness living in Center City... ever. The ones who start problems are usually the teenage African American boys who look like they have nothing better to do. With that said, in my four years at Temple I NEVER ONCE felt uncomfortable or had any problems, and neither did my friends.... with some basic common sense, it's easy to avoid any unwanted trouble. P.S., I lived at 15th and Norris my first two years and 16th and Diamond my second two. Templetown is very block by block... and that is because it is a gentrifying and rapidly changing neighborhood.

Here are some photos of the Temple area... I will post them in the photo thread so they don't take over this thread:
Philadelphia Photo Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:03 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Being White in Philly | Philadelphia magazine

Interesting.. And there are those who say that Temple is safe..

Basically.. The whites are moving to the burbs.. The city is turning into a black city..
As for the rest of this ridiculous article, not only is it borderline racist, but it's also factually inaccurate. White population fell between 2000 and 2010, correct... but it also increased between 2010 and 2011... and all signs are pointing towards that continuing.

Quote:
“We’re here. We’re not going to the suburbs,” she said.
Philadelphia is affordable, walkable, and has a great art scene and “tons of young parents,” said Clark, who lives in the East Passyunk section of South Philly. And you “have a chance to make an impact on your city.”
Her son is one of the new residents who have contributed to an estimated growth in the city’s white population since the 2010 census, reversing a 60-year decline of whites in the city.
According to new estimates being released Thursday, Philadelphia saw a slight jump in the number of whites living here from April 1, 2010, to July 1, 2011. The estimates show the city gained 3,980 whites, or a 0.7 percent increase, for a total of 569,215 whites in July. Whites make up 37 percent of the city’s total population, as they did in 2010.
At the same time, the black population decreased:

Quote:
In the latest estimates, from last July, the city’s black population continued to show a slight decrease of 0.4 percent, similar to its decline from 2000 to 2010.
And the Hispanic and Asian populations increased:

Quote:
The number of Hispanics and Asians, meanwhile, was estimated to have increased by 3 percent and 2 percent, respectively, from 2010 to 2011.
Philly's white population rises - Philly.com

All races are growing in population in Philadelphia EXCEPT for African Americans, whose numbers are declining slowly. Philadelphia IS NOT becoming more Black, it is becoming more diverse and multicultural.

Do your research Frank, I'm tired of proving you wrong.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:00 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,163,259 times
It seems that we have focused more on Frank's view on Temple University area safety and demographic trends than than the article itself.

I think we have been fairly honest on this forum when it comes to race relations or lack thereof. What can complicate things is when someone "blames the victim" as who the "victim" is depends on one's viewpoint.

For those of us who were around long enough to remember Frank Rizzo as both Police Commissioner and Mayor in 60s and 70s it was, as they say, "the best of times and the worst of times". How one defined it (or him) often came down to race. Some people haven't forgotten Rizzo's legacy, for better or worse, and it may influence how blacks and whites perceive each other.

The decline of semi-skilled blue collar jobs (like in many cities) coupled with perhaps glacial acceptance into the skilled labor unions may not help.

Then there is the Italian Market which, from my visit a few years ago, seemed to have morphed into the "Central American Market". I imagine there are a variety of opinions on this development. I would not be surprised at the perception/reality that some of these residents are undocumented. I'm unsure of how much the newer Hispanic population interacts with the primarily Puerto Rican community in North Philly neighborhoods.

And now, Asians are moving beyond Chinatown into neighborhoods in South Philly as well as the Olney section of North Philly. Many people may recall the rough treatment of Asian kids by black kids at South Philadelphia High School a couple years ago. The stereotype of the Asian corner store owner who lives outside the neighborhood may not help things.

Caribbean and West African residents, like most newer immigrants, arrive with a strong work ethic compared to some Americans. Not only may there be tension with their African-American neighbors due to cultural differences, they are often automatically lumped in with all black residents when perceived by others.

So, from my vantage point, race relations is literally not a "black and white" issue but a rather multifaceted one.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:25 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
^^Tone makes a great point. Race relations are literally more than black and white. I personally think the cultural diversification described above a great thing. I moved here from Houston which was rich in diversity. It's one of the things is miss about Philly but I see more diversity than I knew existed once I wander out of my CC enclave.

To truly discuss the races, however, we must discuss the big kahuna - whites. Too often, when people choose to discuss race, it is simply a synonym for minorities. Us whites needs to realize and own our race, and the role we play in the world - most importantly the power we hold. Are we willing to share some of that power with others. I predict responses such as "We've elected Obama and Nutter. What more do you you want?" Well, I want us whites to realize we live in a world of invisible privilege. Most CEOs, university presidents, billionaires, media moguls and other such power holders are white. And race, whether we want to admit it or not, creates a lens through which we see the world. I can guarantee you that if I grew up black or hispanic, my world view would be different. If those in power see the world through a white (male) lens, then they expect others to see the world as they do. If you don't, you need to fake it or be left out.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:50 PM

289 posts, read 338,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
^^Tone makes a great point. Race relations are literally more than black and white. I personally think the cultural diversification described above a great thing. I moved here from Houston which was rich in diversity. It's one of the things is miss about Philly but I see more diversity than I knew existed once I wander out of my CC enclave.

To truly discuss the races, however, we must discuss the big kahuna - whites. Too often, when people choose to discuss race, it is simply a synonym for minorities. Us whites needs to realize and own our race, and the role we play in the world - most importantly the power we hold. Are we willing to share some of that power with others. I predict responses such as "We've elected Obama and Nutter. What more do you you want?" Well, I want us whites to realize we live in a world of invisible privilege. Most CEOs, university presidents, billionaires, media moguls and other such power holders are white. And race, whether we want to admit it or not, creates a lens through which we see the world. I can guarantee you that if I grew up black or hispanic, my world view would be different. If those in power see the world through a white (male) lens, then they expect others to see the world as they do. If you don't, you need to fake it or be left out.
Are you willing to share what you have with a minority being as you are privileged?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia