Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 03:16 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzbone227 View Post
Basically right. Mass holes are aggressive drivers (as are New York/North Jerseyers) with seemingly poor technical driving skills. The thing is, I find drivers here to be extremely frustrating at times for their lack of gusto (for lack of a better term). You'll find yourself waiting and waiting, also waiting, behind someone waiting to make a left turn for the sea to part and Strom Thurmond to return from his ... grave.
I agree with this and I'm from around here. Sometimes I find myself saying to a driver/moron in front of me "What... Are you waiting for an invitation?" It's like - just go!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 04:58 AM

469 posts, read 925,337 times
The people on here that travel outside of the tri state area. Would appreciate driving in Philly. Try driving a truck in most big cities in this country and you will have a positive view of Philly drivers.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:21 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgelessStranger View Post
Funny....there's a thread like this in the Florida forums......Look, there's crap drivers everywhere...I don't believe drivers from one area are superior than another simply because of geography.
It's not about geography - it's about the built environment. Lots of places in Florida have 12 ft. travel lanes, wide shoulders, wide medians, multi-phase signals, protected left turns, etc, etc. You don't really have to be a good driver, you just hop into traffic and go with the flow.

There are a lot of places in the country where driving takes a certain amount of skill and finesse because, aside from a few stop signs you're mostly on your own.

Moving to Philly there were a lot of things about local driving habits that I associate with "redneck" driving having moved up from Charleston. People don't signal their turns or when they do they'll wait to do it while they're turning. People will move to the right hand side of their lane to make a left turn - like they're driving an 18 wheeler. People don't move right when they're turning right so no one can pass on left. More than half the drivers will sit behind someone turning left - usually because they didn't signal their turn and they moved right to turn left thereby blocking any passing opportunity.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:41 PM

318 posts, read 609,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
It's not about geography - it's about the built environment. Lots of places in Florida have 12 ft. travel lanes, wide shoulders, wide medians, multi-phase signals, protected left turns, etc, etc. You don't really have to be a good driver, you just hop into traffic and go with the flow.

Ok, I'll say this again. It doesn't matter where you're from. If you're a bad driver, you're a bad driver regardless of where you live. I mentioned Florida only because someone started a thread complaining about how bad people drive there. With the same type of compaints seen in this thread.

There are a lot of places in the country where driving takes a certain amount of skill and finesse because, aside from a few stop signs you're mostly on your own.

Really?...................Although born and raised here, I have lived in other parts of the country and spent a little time in Europe as well. I have driven in the Rocky Mountains tons of times where yes, you need a little more skill / finesse than driving on flat asphalt. So no need to school me about other places in the country.

Moving to Philly there were a lot of things about local driving habits that I associate with "redneck" driving having moved up from Charleston. People don't signal their turns or when they do they'll wait to do it while they're turning. People will move to the right hand side of their lane to make a left turn - like they're driving an 18 wheeler. People don't move right when they're turning right so no one can pass on left. More than half the drivers will sit behind someone turning left - usually because they didn't signal their turn and they moved right to turn left thereby blocking any passing opportunity.

I've seen the behavior you describe everywhere I've been. It's not just here in Philadelphia or the metro area.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:49 AM

630 posts, read 994,814 times
Miami got the worst drivers!

Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 AM

18 posts, read 40,265 times
Seriously, you people think Philadelphia drivers are courteous?

Driving on the highway, if you leave more than one car length in front of you, someone will cut in. Tailgating is like a sport here.

People do not obey yield signs.

Driving slow in the left lane of a highway, creating interminable traffic behind. Keep right, pass left is not observed.

Stopped at a light, when the light turns green and the car in front of you doesn't move after a few seconds, if you lightly honk your horn you're likely to get an obscene gesture in return.

Driving the wrong way down a one way street. Once when I was driving the correct way down a one way street and I encountered someone going the wrong way, they didn't pull over. Instead I got berated for not pulling over and allowing them to pass even though they were breaking the law!

One courteous thing I have observed about Philadelphia drivers....at the four way stop signs people are always waving each other on to go.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:55 PM

630 posts, read 994,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic2847 View Post
Seriously, you people think Philadelphia drivers are courteous?

Driving on the highway, if you leave more than one car length in front of you, someone will cut in. Tailgating is like a sport here.

People do not obey yield signs.

Driving slow in the left lane of a highway, creating interminable traffic behind. Keep right, pass left is not observed.

Stopped at a light, when the light turns green and the car in front of you doesn't move after a few seconds, if you lightly honk your horn you're likely to get an obscene gesture in return.

Driving the wrong way down a one way street. Once when I was driving the correct way down a one way street and I encountered someone going the wrong way, they didn't pull over. Instead I got berated for not pulling over and allowing them to pass even though they were breaking the law!

One courteous thing I have observed about Philadelphia drivers....at the four way stop signs people are always waving each other on to go.
As bad as they are in Philly, they're not as bad as Cuban drivers in Miami, who think pedestrians have no right to cross the crosswalk.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:15 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
Whole area is ****...

Old 03-19-2013, 06:32 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Tell us how you really feel!

Old 01-14-2014, 03:30 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
Philly people drive like they're on a suicide mission...they just don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia