Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 11:08 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,039 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, some people have awfully strange views of "shady" on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 11:59 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,685,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikes View Post
I was walking to a hotel on 3rd and dumped enough money on the hotel so wanted to save cab money. I am from Pittsburgh and had no idea about anything in the area. I arrived unscathed, but it was truly a long walk and it got kinda shady after 9th or so, especially given that it was well after dusk.
Shady? Lol... what street were you walking on? 9th and Susquehanna?

Old 04-03-2013, 12:00 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,685,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
In my opinion, some people have awfully strange views of "shady" on this forum.
Agreed...

Old 04-03-2013, 04:30 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,224,881 times
Quote:
I was walking to a hotel on 3rd and dumped enough money on the hotel so wanted to save cab money. I am from Pittsburgh and had no idea about anything in the area. I arrived unscathed, but it was truly a long walk and it got kinda shady after 9th or so, especially given that it was well after dusk.
You could have taken the train from 30th and Market to 2nd and Market and avoided it. Shady is a word thrown around a lot and doesn't really seem to mean anything - to me those blocks are just depressing. Philadelphia is an interesting city where they will light up one street in the most absurd, decadent, and cartoonish way imaginable (South Broad Street) and ignore another one right around the corner.

But the problems of Chestnut Street are pretty apparent, in my opinion. The 1100 block has a couple of large, vacant, and rotting buildings. The 1000 block has a couple of mostly vacant buildings, and one of the worst buildings you could plop down in the middle of the city in Jefferson's Gibbon Building - with its blank walls, "no entry" entryways, and posters of creepy people smiling all the way along Chestnut Street. The entire south side of the 900 block consists of a a large parking garage sitting in the middle of a surface parking lot - also one of the few blocks which is extremely well lit. The 700 and 800 blocks are both not-that-bad, with some popular restaurants, but there are still a couple of surface lots and a large parking garage which really zap the life out of the street.

When I used to live in Center City and would get out of work late at night, I'd always make it a point to walk down Walnut Street, which is significantly more pleasant and livelier than Chestnut or Market.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:57 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,273 times
Quote:
OK now I understand. Your just used to those crowds of people who walk around Pittsburgh's business district at night. I guess when you walked past Independence Hall it must have been particularly scary.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:49 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,648,898 times
I can definitely see someone not familiar with the city thinking that some blocks of Chestnut east just of broad could look kind of shady. No need for sarcasm.
Those blocks used to be legitimately kind of shady, and honestly they're still some of the dumpiest in Center City.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:53 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Here are the shady looking blocks from 22nd to 4th and Chestnut

1.16th to 15th and chestnut

2. 11th to 9th and chestnut

Old 04-03-2013, 09:56 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I can definitely see someone not familiar with the city thinking that some blocks of Chestnut east just of broad could look kind of shady. No need for sarcasm.
Those blocks used to be legitimately kind of shady, and honestly they're still some of the dumpiest in Center City.
Agreed. The methodone clinic patrons in the area certainly don't help.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:35 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Here are the shady looking blocks from 22nd to 4th and Chestnut

1.16th to 15th and chestnut

2. 11th to 9th and chestnut
This has got to be a joke...

Old 04-03-2013, 02:09 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
This has got to be a joke...

Nope, very dark and unattractive at night time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia