U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 07:32 AM

4,102 posts, read 7,361,913 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Philadelphia, and West Philly seems to be the best fit for me. As you travel west, the rents obviously become cheaper, but I just wanted to know how far west the safer areas extend. I've heard not to pass 45th, 50th, or 56th street by various people. What is the consensus on this?

I realize that many people would not want to move to West Philly at all, but I'd like to hear from people who have actual knowledge of the area and useful answers to my question. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 09:28 AM

4,908 posts, read 12,519,839 times
Actually the eastern half of West Philly(Spruce Hill) is actually quite remarkable.At one time probably one of the best designed neighborhoods in the world.The architecture of the housing is absolutely incredible. Its a shame that far west Philly has become so unhinged and disgusting, and the hood rats do what they do best- go into the nearby stable neighborhoods looking for easy targets to steal from,mug, and cause lots of trouble.

The lower the street the better off you are. 45th is better than 50th. 40th is better than 45th etc etc. The closer you move towards the hood (say 50Th St.) the better chance you have of becoming a victim of crime.

Good luck. The area closer to U. Penn is outstanding but even it is not immune to occassional crime.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:14 PM

7,968 posts, read 18,075,034 times
I lived in West Philly/University City on two occasions for a total of three years., most recently from 2003-2005. Some neighborhoods are great, some neighborhoods are challenged and the two worlds can meet in ways that can be positive or negative.

Personally, I would recommend a boundary of 50th Street to the west, Spruce Street to the north, and Springfield Avenue to the south. I know people that live beyond those areas that are doing fine but unless you consider yourself a "trailblazer", I'd work within that space.

For more details about the neighborhoods, check out ucityphila.org .

Old 11-05-2007, 09:59 PM

468 posts, read 2,133,205 times
It's not a straight east-west thing. 49th and Baltimore is a safer neighborhood than 42nd and Market. The line of sketchiness runs northeast-to-southwest across West Philly. Baltimore Ave is a good street for further out than Market, Chestnut, and Walnut, which get sketchy fast.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:46 AM

7 posts, read 73,760 times
Default afraid?

don't be all scared of west philly-its not actually so bad. Yes-Market street is FUGLY but its pretty sketchy looking even at 40th! I've walked and biked from Center -city to 69th street and it looks much worse than the actual experience, then again , I guess most of the world is always going to fear poor black folks minding their own business, right? In my experience of living in this town for 30 years and counting, your more likely to get robbed/whatever in center-city than west -west philly for the simple fact that muggers/thieves go where the profit is and generally speaking poor black folks don't walk around with tons of cash, laptops, gold bars, etc., for the simple fact that they are...um...poor. I have only been robbed/burglarized in what many previous posters on this site have called the "good" parts of town.....lets seee...I used to live on 5th and Fairmount in Northern Liberties and a heroin addict broke in while I was gone and stole a bunch of musical equipment. I got two bikes stolen from INSIDE my apartment building on 40th and Baltimore ave., I got held up at 13th and Chestnut at around 3pm one day Someone stole the back wheels of two different bikes I owned in front of my apartment at 45th and locust - crime is crime and as long as you think that your adress or current location is some sort of protection you are the perfect victim no matter where you are. I know tons of people in the "hood" because thats where I was born and it amazes me how people think we are always plotting some sort of criminal activity. Let me let you in on some inside info: people are just people , just treat everyone around you with respect and not fear and you can live wherever you want and go wherever you want-its a free country!
by the way it actually only looks crummy in the patches where nobody owns their houses and really far west (late 60s) on the south of market can be beautiful and inexpensive also, right off of 48th and pine theres like,. two blocks of nice apartments all in one place.but please don't think that just because there are black folks its a ghetto

Old 01-13-2008, 07:35 AM

32 posts, read 167,243 times
I am a mailman in West Philly, so I see a few of neighborhoods on a daily basis.

West Philly is actually getting better between Penn and Drexel outwards up to about 50th St as someone else posted.

They are running out of room and they are expanding west, both the schools and people buying homes to rehab them and rent them out.

Market Street is a mess. Seems like someone gets shot every week somewhere along Market Street. Plus the more North of Market street you go the uglier it becomes.

All along Pine and Spruce Street are quite nice, especially closer to the Universities.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 38,312 times
I live in West Philly. And no, some of the areas doesn't look as pleasing as other areas might, but West Philly is a close-knit family community where people look out for one another. You would live life the same as you would in any other area. You would watch your back wherever you are, you should lock your doors wherever you are. Every neighborhood has criminals, and actually they come from the best neighborhoods. My husband and I are rasing the most intelligent children, my grandmother lives right around the corner who has worked for the city for years, and as for myself, I am a healthcare professional who is enjoying life. So if you are looking to save some money and be amongst people who genuinely care, I say you come on!

Old 04-29-2009, 01:53 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,873,639 times
While I agree with most of the folks posting, the fact of the matter is that if you are a white person in a primarily black neighborhood, you stand out. Make that a sketchy neighborhood and you are a prime candidate for being mugged because:
a) You don't belong there so obviously you are clueless
b) Being clueless, you probably have valuables that you were too stupid to leave at home.

Either way, it is far better to move to the safer areas where there are more people who look like you so you can blend into the herd, so to speak.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:11 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,555,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
While I agree with most of the folks posting, the fact of the matter is that if you are a white person in a primarily black neighborhood, you stand out. Make that a sketchy neighborhood and you are a prime candidate for being mugged because:
a) You don't belong there so obviously you are clueless
b) Being clueless, you probably have valuables that you were too stupid to leave at home.

Either way, it is far better to move to the safer areas where there are more people who look like you so you can blend into the herd, so to speak.
Truer advice was never spoken. If you are black you can go anywhere in W Philly. If you are white and the "urban pioneer" type who doesn't mind the occasional car break-in or wino sleeping on your front steps, then follow the advice of the other posters here. If you are white and absolutly don't want any trouble, stay out of West Philly.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:02 PM

7,968 posts, read 18,075,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Truer advice was never spoken. If you are black you can go anywhere in W Philly.
I don't necessarily agree. Unfortunately, "black-on-black" crime is the most prevalent offense in the city. So everyone should mind their P's and Q's in any sketchy neighborhood. I do agree that anyone who isn't black would stand out immediately.

Quote:
If you are white and the "urban pioneer" type who doesn't mind the occasional car break-in or wino sleeping on your front steps, then follow the advice of the other posters here. If you are white and absolutly don't want any trouble, stay out of West Philly.
I'll concede that a white family with no urban experience should do their homework regarding University City and would do best not to go west into the 50's. That said, I've seen young artists types set up camp around 52nd and Chester (which is technically further out in Southwest Philly but the same point applies).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or