Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 11:31 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearMr.Met View Post
It really all depends on your attitude. If you're a drunk belligerent mess by yelling expletives and basically showing up fans, there will be a problem. I'm a lifelong Mets fan who grew up in the Philly suburbs and several times a year, I'll take the short trip up to CBP to support my team when they come to town. I'm aware that technically I'm a visitor so I support my team but have a carefree "we're all here to see a game" attitude. I deck myself out in blue and orange, even wear a shirt occasionally with F' Philly written on the back. Sure people my say things about my team, but I smile and laugh. Nothing really ever becomes personal because I realize that when I walk through those gates, I'm going to be hassled in a friendly way. I have, however, seen security kick out opposing team fans unjustly. It just takes one complaint it seems if there are a large congregation of rival fans sitting together. I'm pretty mellow but that once instance where a row of Mets fans sitting behind us whom we did not know were ejected incited a "bull****" chant from myself. Philly fans are more sensitive than you think... especially when their garbage team is behind
Is that why we won the last series against the Mets? Tell me the last time they were relevant again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 11:25 AM

26 posts, read 53,011 times
LOL I think both of our teams are about to go through a similar phase as they did in the mid 90's when it was a fight to not be in the cellar. Thank god for the Marlins!!!

Old 04-15-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
LOL I think both of our teams are about to go through a similar phase as they did in the mid 90's when it was a fight to not be in the cellar. Thank god for the Marlins!!!
Haha I know right! Well, whatever, the Phillies do have some awesome players, especially a lot of young new guys. If they can get in a grove and all come together, they could be a really good team... but yeah, thank god for the Marlins, they are laughably bad.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:09 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
It really all depends on your attitude. If you're a drunk belligerent mess by yelling expletives and basically showing up fans, there will be a problem. I'm a lifelong Mets fan who grew up in the Philly suburbs and several times a year, I'll take the short trip up to CBP to support my team when they come to town. I'm aware that technically I'm a visitor so I support my team but have a carefree "we're all here to see a game" attitude. I deck myself out in blue and orange, even wear a shirt occasionally with F' Philly written on the back. Sure people my say things about my team, but I smile and laugh. Nothing really ever becomes personal because I realize that when I walk through those gates, I'm going to be hassled in a friendly way. I have, however, seen security kick out opposing team fans unjustly. It just takes one complaint it seems if there are a large congregation of rival fans sitting together. I'm pretty mellow but that once instance where a row of Mets fans sitting behind us whom we did not know were ejected incited a "bull****" chant from myself. Philly fans are more sensitive than you think... especially when their garbage team is behind
you should probably just wear a shirt that declares you're a dbag and get it over with. quite frankly, the only time I've seen terrible behavior its been from mets fans. some dbag mets fan who had been drunkenly yelling insults while his team lost then tried to jump over some occupied seats and kicked a little girl in the head. if that weren't bad enough, he refused to apologize. the entire section chanted "azzhole: and refused to sit down until he was removed from the game. anyway, the worst kind of fans are the ones who grow up one place and root for some rival just because they suck at life. at least new yorkers simply don't know any better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I remember hearing talk years ago about putting a stadium on 30th and market which would have been crazy.
rendell had wanted it near 30th st but it didn't get built under his watch.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:25 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post

rendell had wanted it near 30th st but it didn't get built under his watch.

there was also talke of levelling chinatown to put it in center city . . . which would have been criminal (and traffic/parking would have been a disaster)

Old 04-15-2013, 02:31 PM

I think keeping all stadiums down at the Sports complex was the best move they made. Imagine if we could turn this area into a sort of "Downtown" area entertainment-complex? That would be cool.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:36 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I think keeping all stadiums down at the Sports complex was the best move they made. Imagine if we could turn this area into a sort of "Downtown" area entertainment-complex? That would be cool.
I guess that was the concept with Xfinity Live

XFINITY Live! :: About

Old 04-15-2013, 11:31 PM

Pman, when I go to a Phils game, I look at it as my job to support my team. Funny thing is, on several occasions in that shirt, Phils fans stopped me and said basically, "bro you're a d-bag but that shirt is great". And the shirt itself doesn't display the full word. LOL Oh and Phils fans can be d-bags also on the road. I can recall a Mets game at Shea a few years back where there were 2 brawls in the upper deck... started by loud mouthed Phils fans. One actually was a scuffle incited by a female Phils fan directed at a female Mets fan. Apples and oranges IMO. I go to the games. I have fun. I hassle your pitchers in the bullpen (remember getting flipped off by JC Romero a few years back, so I paid him visits religiously after) I watch my language and my actions especially since people bring their kids.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 PM

And yea... I jumped on the Mets "bandwagon" ... during the 86 World Series which was the first one I remember watching. I was 6. Been riding on that clunker ever since.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:54 PM

70 posts, read 295,828 times
I used to date a woman in Telford and used to go down to see her from NYC. I live in The Bronx and fell in love with Montgomery County and have been looking to possibly move there. People are very friendly there and I'm tired of the hustle and bustle of the city.

I am a die hard Yankees fan since I was 5 years old. I like to think of myself as one of the nicer Yankee fans you will ever meet. I don't get rowdy at games nor do I disrepect fans of other teams. Live and let live. I do hate being lumped in with the other Yankee fans who are jerks. I pride myself on not being like that.

I have worn my Yankees shirts and jackets in Philly before and never got hassled. Of course, this was pre 2009, so I am not sure if that has changed. I did get a few complements on my throwback Jets jersey once as well when I went to Dave And Busters.

I have never been to CBP and I would love to make the trek this season. Heck, I would love to hunt down an old school powder blue Michael Jack Schmidt jersey to wear as well.

I guess my point is, not all Yankee fans are morons and d'bags. There are some pretty cool fans who cheer the blue and white.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia