Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 07:11 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You could always live in the suburbs, and take the train into Center City. If you do move into the city get an LTCF, and carry always. I do NOT go into the city unarmed anymore, ever.
I have done some martial arts but I don't carry and will never carry. Been living in the city for 20+ years. Nothing has happened to me. Has something happened to you personally for you to insist on doing this? Do you think you are going to be tangling with random drug dealers? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass... I'm interested in your feelings about this.

Contrastingly I have family living in W. Philly(places that you would feel uncomfortable going to) that I see all the time. None of them have guns. Or ever has.

Also you are making assumptions about the OP when we know so little about him or her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 08:55 PM

1,393 posts, read 913,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janut View Post
Are there any responses in 2017? Got a job offer in Philadelphia that pays over $95,000/annually. Currently live in Georgia. Concerned about rent, crime/safety and other cost of living. Job is on Walnut Street, downtown. Want to save money to be on the safe side in case the job does not work out don't want to be left hanging.

Would like feedback.

Thank you.
I think the same advice applies today. Do your research on neighborhoods, be aware of your surroundings, and don't engage in high risk activities and the city is not particularly dangerous. There are certainly neighborhoods where you can balance safety with affordability.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:20 PM

82 posts, read 82,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You could always live in the suburbs, and take the train into Center City. If you do move into the city get an LTCF, and carry always. I do NOT go into the city unarmed anymore, ever.
I've lived in Philly—in three fairly different neighborhoods—for almost twelve years and have never felt that I needed to carry a weapon. Like anywhere, you should stay aware of your surroundings and be smart, but that's it.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:26 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I have done some martial arts but I don't carry and will never carry. Been living in the city for 20+ years. Nothing has happened to me. Has something happened to you personally for you to insist on doing this? Do you think you are going to be tangling with random drug dealers? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass... I'm interested in your feelings about this.

Contrastingly I have family living in W. Philly(places that you would feel uncomfortable going to) that I see all the time. None of them have guns. Or ever has.

Also you are making assumptions about the OP when we know so little about him or her.
I carry homeowner's insurance, but I don't expect my house to burn down. It is only an insurance policy for me to carry a firearm. I know the city pretty well as I grew up in Delco, and went to Penn, so know the areas to avoid. I do still have relatives in S. Philly so get down there once in a while. I typically take the train into Suburban Station, and walk, so I am on the street in decent areas for quite a while back, and forth. It's about a 40 minute walk each way. I've never had any problems, and don't expect to. I just want to have all my options.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:28 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I've lived in Philly—in three fairly different neighborhoods—for almost twelve years and have never felt that I needed to carry a weapon. Like anywhere, you should stay aware of your surroundings and be smart, but that's it.
Yes, situational awareness is paramount.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:04 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblock View Post
Hello,

I was looking at crime statistics in Philly (mylocalcrime.com) and the average level of violent/non violent
crimes in Philadelphia is a lot higher than the national average and State of Pennsylvania average.

Looking at the report, even areas that are considered as "high income" or "good areas" such as
Chestnut Hill or northern Liberties reportedly show a lot of crime.

Since I am thinking of moving to Philly, this represent a big turn off for me.

If you live in Philly, can you pls tell me:

-Honestly, Do you feel safe in Philly?
-is Philly that violent?
-Would you rent or drive or hang out in an area that is know to be "bad".

I would really appreciate it.
1) I love Philadelphia. I was born and raised in NYC. Yes I feel safe. it's a big city though and if you are thinking it's like Mayberry RFD you'll be disappointed.

2) I live in fairmont, which is right next to Northern liberties. I enjoy Northern liberties, lol except for the parking headache.

3) uhmm no, I don't hang out in bad neighborhoods no matter where I live. why would you??

4) I do not carry a weapon, 57 years never felt the need to buy a gun.

5) One thing I will say that scares me is the number of people I see walking around with headphones on, totally unaware of their surroundings. I don't understand it. 10 pm at night in Philly and you're walking down the street with headphones on or with your face glued to your phone. amazing

Old 11-29-2017, 06:44 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
1) I love Philadelphia. I was born and raised in NYC. Yes I feel safe. it's a big city though and if you are thinking it's like Mayberry RFD you'll be disappointed.

2) I live in fairmont, which is right next to Northern liberties. I enjoy Northern liberties, lol except for the parking headache.

3) uhmm no, I don't hang out in bad neighborhoods no matter where I live. why would you??

4) I do not carry a weapon, 57 years never felt the need to buy a gun.

5) One thing I will say that scares me is the number of people I see walking around with headphones on, totally unaware of their surroundings. I don't understand it. 10 pm at night in Philly and you're walking down the street with headphones on or with your face glued to your phone. amazing
Whoa, wait a minute. Fairmount is not next to Northern Liberties. NoLib is several blocks east of Fairmount.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:34 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Janut - I don't think Philly is any worse than the average US city in terms of safety, especially considering the type of neighborhood that you would be living in with your stated salary. The largest factor revolves around how much experience you have with visiting and/or living in a large urban city. Philly is very alive in a way that no southern cities can boot IME. That invites a very different experience.

If you're like me in that you don't live in an unsafe neighborhood, the largest safety factors are groups of teens letting out of schools in some places, standard late night dangers, and crossing the streets (no joke, people don't pay attention, drive too fast, go through lights, always be diligent and don't trust that others are paying attention).

Old 11-30-2017, 11:07 AM

274 posts, read 326,721 times
It is always a bit odd when someone goes to the trouble of pulling up a past thread rather than read the instructions on the front page sticky. You all asked this person to fill out the form back on 11/11, when they pulled up another old thread. I guess some people don't bother to read the responses???

Old 12-14-2017, 06:10 PM

3 posts, read 2,319 times
Thanks for the replies.

Am single with grown son overseas. Am a Freshman Senior citizen (60+) but no one believes me. (LOL!)

Have no problem with a Studio Apartment. Job downtown. Want to save as much money as possible and
not have a lot of expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia