U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-11-2013, 05:40 PM
FBJ

35,149 posts, read 24,420,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Perhaps they were robbing it when it was closed and someone came to investigate? No idea otherwise. Haagen-dazs isn't open at 3:30 AM, so. It closes at midnight.

Edit: I just read the second article. "Authorities say the victim was going to his apartment located above the shop."

That sounds more accurate because who the hell is buying ice cream at 3:45am?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 05:59 PM

1,152 posts, read 557,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
So s/he used January & February data?

I think people usually relate the summer months (school's out) and generally nicer/warmer weather with higher crime rates. I think that to debunk that with any confidence, it would be better to include data from throughout the year.
Yeah, I suppose that is the only data they had available to them at the time. I think it does well to show that even on cold days there are a lot of shootings, and not just on the warmer ones. He also mentioned that there were more murders in the late year (November and December) compared to the warmer months in some of the years. I think there are a ton of variables that come in when it hits summer time, which probably have good cause to them. It isn't strictly the weather though, although I'm not sure how many people actually believe that. I suppose saying, "When the weather gets hot, there are more murders" is a lot different than saying, "There are more murders because the weather got hot".

If I can find some statistics, I'd be happy to look over the numbers and see the differences. Although, looking at the deviation from the projected to the actual, UNLESS there is a massive decrease in the later months in murders, then logically one can't assume that there is a huge spike in murders in the summer. Either way, I'd like to get my hands on raw data.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
That sounds more accurate because who the hell is buying ice cream at 3:45am?
I am... quite often I may get in to my home by 11 PM, but the night keeps me up with a craving for ice cream.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:02 PM
FBJ

35,149 posts, read 24,420,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
I am... quite often I may get in to my home by 11 PM, but the night keeps me up with a craving for ice cream.

Well can you do me a big favor and please don't buy ice cream in the city of Philadelphia at 3am.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:06 AM

7,785 posts, read 10,479,843 times
Default shooting in the 39th district.

vid posted.. Police looking for the suspects..

Wanted: Suspects for Aggravated Assault/Shooting in the 39th District [VIDEO] | Philly Police Blog

Old 05-13-2013, 09:33 AM

7,791 posts, read 12,026,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Note that while crime in any part of the city is unacceptable, this incident occurred in Tioga, a lower-income/working-class area that has rarely if ever been included among recommended neighborhoods on this forum.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:25 AM

Default triple shooting..

Tough section for sure..

Triple shooting inside North Philadelphia Chinese restaurant | 6abc.com

Old 05-14-2013, 05:26 AM

Default death for the baby killer

He should not be able to be allowed to take another breath

Abortion Doctor Kermit Gosnell convicted of first-degree murder | 6abc.com

Old 05-15-2013, 01:16 PM

The weather has been pretty nice lately, wouldn't you say? Well, from April 22nd to May 15th--a span of 22 days if you do not count those days--there has only been 5 murders! We're coming up on a month span in a nice patch of weather that might not even see .33 murders per day. Impressive!

Old 05-15-2013, 04:27 PM

1,363 posts, read 752,175 times
Did anybody see the video of the baby who fell on the Market Frankford El tracks? Am I the only one who feels as if she kicks that baby?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia