U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2013, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,702 posts, read 11,515,541 times
Reputation: 3540

Advertisements

Like I did before in the Official Philadelphia Metro Crime thread, I will continue the same here and post this every month for a good update and picture on what is going on in the city as far as reduction in crime is going (in some areas), and/or stagnation or rise in crime in other areas.

So far, there are 65 homicides in the city this year, down from 95 this time last year. This is still the lowest amount of murders we have had in DECADES.

Murders to date going back to 2007:

2012: 95
2011: 91
2010: 79
2009: 73
2008: 79
2007: 108

Month Breakdown
January- 20
February- 11
March-19
April (so far)-15


Philadelphia District Breakdown


File:PhilaDistrict.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Center City- 3
University City- 0
South Philadelphia- 5
Southwest Philadelphia- 5
West Philadelphia- 12
Riverwards (Kensington)- 7
Lower North Philadelphia- 12
Upper North Philadelphia- 12
Olney/Oak Lane- 5
Upper Northwest (Germantown)- 1
Lower Northwest (Manayunk/Roxborough)- 0
Near Northeast- 3
Far Northeast- 0

Core Neighborhood Breakdown

Link to core neighborhood boundaries
Philadelphia Core Neighborhoods - Google Maps

Center City
Penn Center- 0
Rittenhouse Square- 1
Fitler Square- 0
Avenue of the Arts- 0
Logan Square- 0
Washington Square West- 0
Society Hill- 0
Old City- 0
Market East- 0
Chinatown- 0
Loft District- 0
Franklintown- 1
Chinatown North- 0
Callowhill- 0
Penn's Landing- 1

South Philadelphia
Queen Village- 0
Bella Vista- 0
Hawthorne- 0
Graduate Hospital- 0
Pennsport- 0
Dickinson Narrows- 3
Wharton- 0
Passyunk Square- 0
East Passyunk Crossing- 0
Newbold- 0
Point Breeze- 2
Gray's Ferry- 0
West Passyunk- 0
Whitman- 0
Moyamensing- 0
Girard Estate/Wilson Park- 0
Marconi Plaza- 0
Packer Park- 0

West Philadelphia
University City- 0
Woodland Terrace- 0
Spruce Hill- 0
Clark Park- 0
Squirrel Hill- 0
Southwest Cedar Park- 0
Cedar Park- 0
Garden Court- 0
Walnut Hill- 0
Powelton Village- 0
West Powelton- 0
Mantua- 0
Dunlap- 0
Haverford North- 0
Mill Creek- 0
Belmont- 0
Cathedral Park- 0
East Parkside- 0
West Parkside- 0

Lower North Philadelphia
Fairmount- 0
Spring Garden- 0
Francisville- 2
Spring Arts- 0
Poplar- 0
Northern Liberties- 0
West Poplar- 1
Brewerytown- 0
Templetown- 0
Sharswood- 0
Yorktown- 0
Ludlow- 0
Norris Square- 1
Olde Kensington- 0
Hartranft- 0

Riverwards
Fishtown- 0
Kensington- 0
West Kensington- 7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2013, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,702 posts, read 11,515,541 times
Reputation: 3540
^^ Some thoughts on that.

1. The West Kensington neighborhood has seen an astonishing 7 murders so far this year.

2. Center City has seen a surprising 3 murders this year. One was the CHOP doctor who was murdered in her home, the other was the rapper related shooting at Penn's Landing, and the third was a guy who killed his wife in their apartment building in a murder homicide.

3. West Philadelphia, Lower North Philadelphia, and Upper North Philadelphia are all tied for the most murders at 12 a piece...if we combine Olney/Oak Lane section with Upper North Philadelphia, then Upper North has the most at 17 murders.

4. In what I defined as the "core" of the city, there has been 19 murders or 30% of the murders in the city so far this year. Those murders have been 3 in Center City (1 in Rittenhouse, 1 in Penn's Landing and 1 in Franklintown), 5 in South Philadelphia (3 in the Dickinson Narrows and 2 in Point Breeze), 0 in West Philadelphia in what I defined as the core neighborhoods, 4 in Lower North Philadelphia (2 in Francisville, 1 in West Poplar and 1 in Norris Square) in what I defined as the core neighborhoods, and 7 in the Riverwards in what I defined as the core neighborhoods, all of which occurred in West Kensington. On the contrary, when combining all the areas of what is generally considered "North Philadelphia," there have been an astonishing 29 murders total, or 45% of the murders so far this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2013, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,166 posts, read 1,211,011 times
Reputation: 442
The last week has been insane for murders. Just last week there was a 20 murder gap between 2007 and this year, and now that has nearly closed all the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2013, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,702 posts, read 11,515,541 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
The last week has been insane for murders. Just last week there was a 20 murder gap between 2007 and this year, and now that has nearly closed all the way.
Huh? There was 108 murders this time in 2007. There have been 65 this year.... that is nowhere close to closing the gap lol. Did you mean 2008 or 2009?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2013, 08:39 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,780 posts, read 17,985,286 times
Reputation: 2303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
We had the same thing happen where I work a few years ago when some kid scrawled something along the same lines too. We *had* to over react due to what could happen and it turned out not to be true..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2013, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,166 posts, read 1,211,011 times
Reputation: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Huh? There was 108 murders this time in 2007. There have been 65 this year.... that is nowhere close to closing the gap lol. Did you mean 2008 or 2009?
Oops! I meant 2008/2009/2010 with emphasis on 2009. The gap is currently down to 8 when it had just climbed up to back up to 20 from 13! The year is still young though, and there was a large increase in 2009 sometime during the middle of the year, so only time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2013, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,702 posts, read 11,515,541 times
Reputation: 3540
Sad, but obviously there was a motive. The murder happened in the Whitman neighborhood of South Philadelphia.

Quote:
Don Ly was stabbed to death this morning near his own home as he prepped for his day as one of the popular food vendors in University City.


"He comes out around 5 a.m. every morning to load up his fruit truck and thatís when he was attacked," Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small said.


Ly stabbed in the abdomen, throat, chest and arms as he prepared his food stand and van that were parked along the 400 block of Vollmer Street in South Philadelphia.


"At this point we do not know what the motive is," Small said.


Family members told NBC10's Jesse Gary that the Ly moved here from Vietnam and was a very private person.
Fruit Stand Owner Stabbed, Killed on His Way to Work | NBC 10 Philadelphia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,780 posts, read 17,985,286 times
Reputation: 2303
Default society hill. Not expected.. :(

Pharmacist shot in Society Hill after chasing robber | 6abc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 AM
 
154 posts, read 259,414 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
^^ Some thoughts on that.

1. The West Kensington neighborhood has seen an astonishing 7 murders so far this year.

2. Center City has seen a surprising 3 murders this year. One was the CHOP doctor who was murdered in her home, the other was the rapper related shooting at Penn's Landing, and the third was a guy who killed his wife in their apartment building in a murder homicide.

3. West Philadelphia, Lower North Philadelphia, and Upper North Philadelphia are all tied for the most murders at 12 a piece...if we combine Olney/Oak Lane section with Upper North Philadelphia, then Upper North has the most at 17 murders.

4. In what I defined as the "core" of the city, there has been 19 murders or 30% of the murders in the city so far this year. Those murders have been 3 in Center City (1 in Rittenhouse, 1 in Penn's Landing and 1 in Franklintown), 5 in South Philadelphia (3 in the Dickinson Narrows and 2 in Point Breeze), 0 in West Philadelphia in what I defined as the core neighborhoods, 4 in Lower North Philadelphia (2 in Francisville, 1 in West Poplar and 1 in Norris Square) in what I defined as the core neighborhoods, and 7 in the Riverwards in what I defined as the core neighborhoods, all of which occurred in West Kensington. On the contrary, when combining all the areas of what is generally considered "North Philadelphia," there have been an astonishing 29 murders total, or 45% of the murders so far this year.
5. Murder rate is related to weather. This is the second coldest spring on record. once the weather breaks that number (65 in 2013) will spike. 2007 was a very hot year in the city, literally and metaphorically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2013, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,702 posts, read 11,515,541 times
Reputation: 3540
Very sad story. Thank god he survived... but also not a good idea to RUN AFTER YOUR ATTACKER!! There would have been no shooting if he would've just let the attacker go.

Two more:

Off-duty officer stabbed in Northeast Philly, but survives:
Off-duty officer stabbed, robbed in Northeast Philadelphia, officials say | 6abc.com

...and a man shot and killed in front of his wife in Oxford Circle
Husband shot and killed in front of wife in Northeast Philadelphia | 6abc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top