Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 10:33 PM

96 posts, read 252,499 times

Advertisements

MOD NOTE - The purpose of this thread is to corral crime posts to stay in one thread so as not to take over the Philadelphia page here on citi-data. Starting now, 5/26/19, I'm going to ask posters to post links when they cite crime activity to bring clarity to the thread. As per city-data TOS, no racist or rude remarks are allowed. Report comments that break the TOS, do not respond to off topic remarks - report them.

I live in the Overbrook section... 65st and Lebanon... On Lebanon Avenue and Im just saying, ...66st people getting shot all the time, school shootings, the assault rates are high because of the schools in the area (Worst schools: Beeber Middle School (Closing, but was on the worst crime schools list and its a MIDDLE SCHOOL!, Overbrook High School, Very bad high school, worst crime high schools, probably equal to Strawberry Mansion HighSchool/Middleschool crime) And my block is okay....................... The area is officially shady and I just wanted to warn people about Central Overbrook. Overbrook farms is okay at best, and Overbrook hills is still GREAT. Stay OUT of Central Overbrook at night and even tho Im 16, I can tell you, I went to Beeber Middle School and saw some things i didnt want to see.. Regular kids (8th grade) fighting with mentally retarded kids. Bullying the whole 8 miles. People going on seizures and still getting stomped out,Etc. Im just saying.. Philly isnt fixing anything in the bad areas, Such as the schools, the only thing they're doing is Getting the downtown all good and make it look good, the mayor/city officials dont care about north philly schools, west philly schools, south philly schools, northeast philly schools, southwest philly schools, Like theres no school cameras in the hallways, outside the school, etc... So crime goes undone, there was 1000!!!! FIGHTS in OVERBROOK HIGH SCHOOL..... AVERAGE A YEAR.... AND YOU KNOW ALREADY, that 99% of Fights dont get caught, Etc. IF WE HAD CAMERAS EVERYWHERE (Except bathroom, bathroom does have some fights) SCHOOLS WOULD BE BETTER IN PHILLY, AND IF THE COPS THAT WATCH THE SCHOOLS (REAL COPS) THE SCHOOLS WOULD BE REAL GOOD..................... IM PISSED OFF AT PHILADELPHIA, BECAUSE ITS A GOOD CITY, VERY ROUGH, BUT GOOD CITY IF THEY WOULD FIX THE SCHOOLS. ......

[url=http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20130411_Student__2_others_shot_near_Overbrook_Hig h.html[/url] - Thursday, April 11, 2013 -Link not working but it works if you go to it manually from the philly.com website, link is valid but doesnt work on this forum for some reason..

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-26-2019 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,000 times
Judging by your post, those schools must be pretty bad....

Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Overbrook has been rough for years. Even in the '50s, when my grandmother attended, it was on its way out.

South Philly High might actually be less dangerous now than it was in the '60s. Circa 1961, my great-uncle saw a kid right in front of him blown to bits with a shotgun.

And I hope the OP realizes that these schools can't just be "fixed" with a drop of a hat.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:43 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Default Official Greater Philadelphia Area Crime Thread

In response to a slew of new threads about crime, let's try to condense it all into one thread again.

This time, let's try to keep it civil? Right? You can debate and talk about the crime, but lets keep the name calling and attacks and such at a minimum. Also, feel free to talk about or post about crime in any part of the Greater Philadelphia Area. Let's try not to post simple meaningless things like a robbery or something, please keep it to serious crime that can actually be discussed.

These areas are included in the Greater Philadelphia Area:
Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
Bucks County
Montgomery County
Delaware County (Chester City)
Chester County

New Jersey
Camden County (Camden City)
Burlington County
Gloucester County
Salem County
Cumberland County (Vineland City, Bridgeton City, Milleville City)
Atlantic County (Atlantic City)

Delaware
New Castle County (Wilmington)

Mods, please combine all recent crime threads with this one. Thanks

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-12-2013 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: Removed Kent county, DE - 1.5 hours from Philly, MD, Cape May County and Berks county

Old 04-12-2013, 01:45 PM

I'll start it off:

Columbine Threat at Temple University

Quote:
Temple University officials say there's an ongoing investigation into threatening graffiti found in a bathroom stall in one of the academic buildings.

They say the Philadelphia Police Department and the FBI have both been notified.

That's good news, but students, the people who could be in harms way, say they haven't been told about the threat. A threat university officials say they've known about since March.

FOX 29 has obtained pictures of the graffiti we're told was found on the wall of a bathroom stall at Gladfelter Hall.

Someone wrote "April 20th I'll bring honor to Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold," a reference to the Columbine High School shooters.

The other says "April 20th you will all learn the meaning of suffering."

"It's kind of scary because people usually follow through with that kind of stuff. With Sandy Hook and everything like that you've got to be careful," said Temple University student David Tucker.

"It takes away the seriousness," Taylor Chenevert said after hearing the threats were posted on a bathroom wall. "People scribble on bathrooms all the time. That's high school type of stuff."

University officials issued a statement, saying: "The safety of the Temple Community is our top priority. Temple police have been conducting an investigation into the graffiti message..... Security has been enhanced on our campus."
http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/21949145/columbine

Old 04-12-2013, 03:15 PM

469 posts, read 925,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
In response to a slew of new threads about crime, let's try to condense it all into one thread again.

This time, let's try to keep it civil? Right? You can debate and talk about the crime, but lets keep the name calling and attacks and such at a minimum. Also, feel free to talk about or post about crime in any part of the Greater Philadelphia Area. Let's try not to post simple meaningless things like a robbery or something, please keep it to serious crime that can actually be discussed.
LOL! Robbery is not meaningless to some of us. Robbery : The felonious taking of personal property from someone using force or the threat of force.
I posted on a thread awhile back,about an older lady,from the area I use to work at who was robbed. Some of her neighbors and myself, will go to the store for her because she is afraid to leave the house.I`M lost for words.
I guess you want to keep it to shootings in North Philly.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-12-2013 at 03:30 PM..

Old 04-12-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin19119 View Post
LOL! Robbery is not meaningless to some of us. Robbery : The felonious taking of personal property from someone using force or the threat of force.
I posted on a thread awhile back,about an older lady,from the area I use to work at who was robbed. Some of her neighbors and myself, will go to the store for her because she is afraid to leave the house.I`M lost for words.
I guess you want to keep it to shootings in North Philly.
If the robbery is a significant story then sure post it, but there is no point posting every single individual crime story. Better to limit it to more important stories... and no I would say quite the opposite. DON'T post every single shooting in North Philadelphia. I would prefer stories that would create more conversation to be posted.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:52 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
I look forward to reading constructive conversation and debate about crime issues in the metro.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:01 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
When merging the recent thread about Overbrook High School with this thread, the Overbrook posts registered first due to being an older thread. Sorry for any confusion that may have been caused.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:02 PM

Like I did before in the Official Philadelphia Metro Crime thread, I will continue the same here and post this every month for a good update and picture on what is going on in the city as far as reduction in crime is going (in some areas), and/or stagnation or rise in crime in other areas.

So far, there are 65 homicides in the city this year, down from 95 this time last year. This is still the lowest amount of murders we have had in DECADES.

Murders to date going back to 2007:

2012: 95
2011: 91
2010: 79
2009: 73
2008: 79
2007: 108

Month Breakdown
January- 20
February- 11
March-19
April (so far)-15

Philadelphia District Breakdown

File:PhilaDistrict.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Center City- 3
University City- 0
South Philadelphia- 5
Southwest Philadelphia- 5
West Philadelphia- 12
Riverwards (Kensington)- 7
Lower North Philadelphia- 12
Upper North Philadelphia- 12
Olney/Oak Lane- 5
Upper Northwest (Germantown)- 1
Lower Northwest (Manayunk/Roxborough)- 0
Near Northeast- 3
Far Northeast- 0

Core Neighborhood Breakdown

Link to core neighborhood boundaries
Philadelphia Core Neighborhoods - Google Maps

Center City
Penn Center- 0
Rittenhouse Square- 1
Fitler Square- 0
Avenue of the Arts- 0
Logan Square- 0
Washington Square West- 0
Society Hill- 0
Old City- 0
Market East- 0
Chinatown- 0
Loft District- 0
Franklintown- 1
Chinatown North- 0
Callowhill- 0
Penn's Landing- 1

South Philadelphia
Queen Village- 0
Bella Vista- 0
Hawthorne- 0
Graduate Hospital- 0
Pennsport- 0
Dickinson Narrows- 3
Wharton- 0
Passyunk Square- 0
East Passyunk Crossing- 0
Newbold- 0
Point Breeze- 2
Gray's Ferry- 0
West Passyunk- 0
Whitman- 0
Moyamensing- 0
Girard Estate/Wilson Park- 0
Marconi Plaza- 0
Packer Park- 0

West Philadelphia
University City- 0
Woodland Terrace- 0
Spruce Hill- 0
Clark Park- 0
Squirrel Hill- 0
Southwest Cedar Park- 0
Cedar Park- 0
Garden Court- 0
Walnut Hill- 0
Powelton Village- 0
West Powelton- 0
Mantua- 0
Dunlap- 0
Haverford North- 0
Mill Creek- 0
Belmont- 0
Cathedral Park- 0
East Parkside- 0
West Parkside- 0

Lower North Philadelphia
Fairmount- 0
Spring Garden- 0
Francisville- 2
Spring Arts- 0
Poplar- 0
Northern Liberties- 0
West Poplar- 1
Brewerytown- 0
Templetown- 0
Sharswood- 0
Yorktown- 0
Ludlow- 0
Norris Square- 1
Olde Kensington- 0
Hartranft- 0

Riverwards
Fishtown- 0
Kensington- 0
West Kensington- 7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia