Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2018, 03:33 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,906,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
https://www.phillymag.com/news/2018/...ellenger-race/

I hated giving Ernest the click, but is he serious?!?!??!?!

I am at a loss for words at how Philly Mag would let this get published.
I'm guilty for clicking it...and read it.

It's hilarious that Owens thinks the bar bouncer was commenting and laughing about Owens defending himself because he's black. Most likely the bar bouncer based his reaction on the fact that Owens thought he could defend himself at all.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:26 PM

380 posts, read 257,340 times
Quote:
If that was his goal, then this is a poor example to prove that point.
Because no footage was released, police are still reviewing all the details of the situation, and because Ernest heard "black man claims self defense against white man"

Does he really think the the situation was reversed that Shellenger would be running free, going out to dinners?? The system is in place for a reason, not every crime come down to racial injustice. We will never grow as a society if that is our logic.

Shellenger was also a good man regardless of what any thinks, even if he was intoxicated during the attack, I would almost guarantee it was not racially motivated.

It is just so upsetting to me that Philly Mag would support a person like Ernest. There are literally thousands of people who want him removed from his role. And then him releasing an article based on "here say" is negligence in its purest form.

All this article does is confuse the public and create tension, when police haven't released any details yet!
But this is the problem. You assume Shellebger was a “good man” and believe his story over White’s before even hearing the facts of the story. I’m not sure whether either is a good or a bad man despite what friends and family are saying. Odds are they are both good people who let their tempers get the best of them but we will see what comes out.

But yes, I do agree that Ernest is unnecessarily provocative.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:44 PM

9,340 posts, read 9,204,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
But this is the problem. You assume Shellebger was a “good man” and believe his story over White’s before even hearing the facts of the story. I’m not sure whether either is a good or a bad man despite what friends and family are saying. Odds are they are both good people who let their tempers get the best of them but we will see what comes out.

But yes, I do agree that Ernest is unnecessarily provocative.
Well I have met Shellenger before, and have heard him speak at conferences on several occasions. I have also never heard a negative word about him in the construction and development community, even the knuckle head Kenyatta Johnson was fond of him, so I think my "assumption" of him being a good man is an accurate one.

Then you have Ernest who sits on his a** all day behind his computer screen when he knows absolutely nothing except the colors of their skin, and he puts out garbage like that, and then compares it to the time a bouncer stopped him before entering a venue... which apparently happened because he was black.

This is negligent reporting at its finest. Releasing an article on heresy or because he heard a statement from the perpetrators mother is beyond ridiculous.

He wasn't there, he knows no one who was there, he didn't see surveillance footage, he conveniently left out the fact that the perpetrator has ZERO injuries, he left out that the victim was stabbed in the back, he conveniently left out any info about Mr. Shellengers positive impact on Philadelphia, BUT because the perpetrator was a black man in a fight with white men he is an innocent murderer.

And as I said before, even more upsetting is how Philly Mag lets that slide, what a rag of a publication it has become.

Again, I listen to Karen and others about not letting him bother me, but when an incident like this hits closer to home and then I open Philly Mag website and see this utter hatred and garbage, it upsets me so much.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:34 PM

13,956 posts, read 8,816,997 times
Quote:
This is negligent reporting at its finest. Releasing an article on heresy or because he heard a statement from the perpetrators mother is beyond ridiculous.

He wasn't there, he knows no one who was there, he didn't see surveillance footage, he conveniently left out the fact that the perpetrator has ZERO injuries, he left out that the victim was stabbed in the back, he conveniently left out any info about Mr. Shellengers positive impact on Philadelphia, BUT because the perpetrator was a black man in a fight with white men he is an innocent murderer.

And as I said before, even more upsetting is how Philly Mag lets that slide, what a rag of a publication it has become.

Again, I listen to Karen and others about not letting him bother me, but when an incident like this hits closer to home and then I open Philly Mag website and see this utter hatred and garbage, it upsets me so much.
I do need to point something out here:

What you read was opinion, not reporting.

The reason I don't climb on the let's-just-condemn-Ernest-Owens bandwagon is because when I've read his reporting, it's solid. He doesn't get his facts wrong. And that he tends to focus on race in the LGBTQ community here was IMO needed. In the case of the bars, for instance, self-segregation may be a bigger explanation for why you see African-Americans at some bars and not others, but owners and staff can also send out signals that let certain customers know that (a) they are welcome here or (b) they aren't. (When the iCandy "smoking gun" video surfaced, I was asked to testify before the Human Relations Commission because I served on the team that conducted a survey on discrimination in Philly's LGBT bars in 1998 and wrote its report. Maybe some of you read my commentary on the subject on Phillymag.com at the time.)

He may have overdone it, but remember what I told you about Donald Trump in him. That IMO explains a lot. And it also may explain the reaction so many have towards him, including most of my friends.

But not all. I know someone who works at Mazzoni who, when Owens was riding that horse hard, told me privately when I asked that things were pretty much as bad as Ernest described them as far as management cluelessness and morale among the frontline staff were concerned.

And when even assimilated types like me find themselves reminded in certain places and situations that our bearing and demeanor means nothing to the white person passing judgment, then I do think it worthwhile that someone occasionally whack the white folks across the head with a rhetorical two-by-four, for they often don't get that at all. The presumption of innocence is often not granted to us where it would be to someone white; as I said to someone on Facebook, "Barbecue Becky" went viral and became a meme for a reason. This past Friday, in fact, I got more evidence of this from a white guy who lives in Tacony, serves on the board of a construction trade union, pushes hard to get said union's leadership to open up its ranks to more minorities, and challenges his neighbors when they complain about the black kids who play basketball day and night at the playground across the street from him. They're an improvement on the (white) junkies who used to shoot up in it, he told me.

I certainly don't share the assumption underlying much of Ernest's criticism, or for that matter, the criticism of most on the identitarian left, that somehow were the oppressed to reshape society, it would be fairer or more just. History tells me otherwise. But in America, it is true, from where I sit, that way too many whites act on fear first when blacks come into their frame of mind or vision, and when they take their fear out on us, we respond with forgiveness rather than vengeance. Would that the same thing happened in the opposite direction.

I think I've made it clear both here and elsewhere what I think of Schellenger. Thus I see this as a tragedy all around. But, "dear white people," I do think it might be worthwhile to ask why we have Ernest Owenses in the world rather than just wish them away. He expresses a sentiment quite common among many African-Americans, and I don't think they hold it because they came down with the vapors. They just don't voice it as often, as loudly or as vehemently as he does.

And: This time, he didn't go out and just claim Schellenger was motivated by racial animus, as some African-Americans I know have done. In fact, he really wasn't talking about Schellenger at all.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 07-17-2018 at 10:45 PM..

Old 07-18-2018, 10:12 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,831,471 times
With there being so much division in our country, and it being Mandella's 100th birthday today, I thought this quote might be suitable:

"The values of human solidarity that once drove our quest for a humane society seem to have been replaced, or are being threatened, by a crass materialism and pursuit of social goals of instant gratification. One of the challenges of our time, without being pietistic or moralistic, is to re-instil in the consciousness of our people that sense of human solidarity, of being in the world for one another and because of and through others."

Old 07-18-2018, 12:58 PM

Some more information on White:

Quote:
White was formerly a student at Morgan State University in Baltimore, and friends said he wrote rap and slam poetry. He was charged last year with marijuana possession, theft, and other counts, according to court records. In January, the records say, he was allowed to enter a diversionary program that required him to perform community service and pay court costs.
3rd man in Mercedes speaks; Rittenhouse Square stabbing victim is remembered - Philly

Seems like everyone had a little something going with the law, including Jacobson, the third man in the car. Seems out of place for White to have gotten involved from all angles. Maybe there's a chance this is a hate crime?

Old 07-18-2018, 01:26 PM

2,525 posts, read 2,639,404 times
I met a friend of Shellenger who said that he had a rocky past and was nice but could have a really bad temper too.

I also noticed that the assailant is friends with someone I am no longer friends with because that one friend purposely didn't let me play a game when it was my turn. So, I left that situation and that "friendship." There's a bit more to that story, but that's the essence of it all.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:47 PM

13,956 posts, read 8,816,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
I met a friend of Shellenger who said that he had a rocky past and was nice but could have a really bad temper too.

I also noticed that the assailant is friends with someone I am no longer friends with because that one friend purposely didn't let me play a game when it was my turn. So, I left that situation and that "friendship." There's a bit more to that story, but that's the essence of it all.
The assailant and one of my protégés also crossed paths because they were both in the Youth Poetry Movement.

He thought the guy did him wrong by dissing him within the circle, gaslighting, and stuff like that.

I don't think any of this rises to the level of a prior, but it can just be filed in that general no-one's-an-angel-here file that I think is being compiled.

Of which speaking: I did get an email from a reader who had some Issues with the fact that my "Who's Building Philly" profile of Schellenger showed up on the "Trending" list that appears on the home page and each channel landing page (on those pages, the "trending" stories all appear in that channel). What I think really bugged her was that I described Schellenger and his work in glowing terms - and she included some language about how this reinforces the "white is right" message media outlets send out.

I did inform her that I wrote that profile last August and that it dealt strictly with his activities as a developer, which as far as I can tell are above reproach then and now. I think Kenyatta Johnson's attitude toward him should indicate that his interest in helping the worse-off as well as housing the better-off (and working folks too) was genuine and not some publicity stunt. (And I can't help but contrast this with the reputation another well-known developer enjoys in that neighborhood.)

There would have been no reason for me to go digging dirt on my subject at the time. As I also informed her, we journalists write "the first rough draft of history," and as more facts are added, we revise those drafts on the fly. What we don't do is remove them because changing facts or conditions cast people in a different light; together, all those rough drafts paint a clearer picture of the subject being reported on.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:55 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,906,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Some more information on White:

3rd man in Mercedes speaks; Rittenhouse Square stabbing victim is remembered - Philly

Seems like everyone had a little something going with the law, including Jacobson, the third man in the car. Seems out of place for White to have gotten involved from all angles. Maybe there's a chance this is a hate crime?
Where are you getting the ''hate crime'' idea from? That White killed Schellenger because he was white? Otherwise, where's the hate crime here?

Also, White was charged as well in Nov. 2017 with ''possession instrument of crime with intent'' ie. a large knife. Wonder if the 2017 arrest and charges was while he was bike delivering food in Center City?

Last edited by Kamms; 07-18-2018 at 02:20 PM..

Old 07-18-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Where are you getting the ''hate crime'' idea from? That White killed Schellenger because he was white? Otherwise, where's the hate crime here?
Yup, White killing him because he was white. Not likely, but it seems particularly strange for a passerby to stab someone in the back when he's not even involved in the situation. Plenty of people out there are hateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia