Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:59 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Granted, that did happen about eight months ago...

To me, things start to get particularly more challenging on Chester west of 49th Street. Once you pass the community center and Regional Rail, street wisdom is particularly useful. You'll start seeing corner stores with plexiglass-enclosed cashier areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 05:06 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Granted, that did happen about eight months ago...

To me, things start to get particularly more challenging on Chester west of 49th Street. Once you pass the community center and Regional Rail, street wisdom is particularly useful. You'll start seeing corner stores with plexiglass-enclosed cashier areas.

I just think it's very important for someone has to research lots of areas before they move and stay updated on local news. That's how I chose my new apartment because the area I'm moving to I never hear about on the news in regards to crime. The area I'm moving from has never been on the news or paper about crime which is 23rd and Walnut.

So when it comes to southwest, 40th to 42nd and Baltimore is cool but I have no interest in Chester Ave

Old 04-16-2013, 06:02 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
47th and Chester is fine. A few blocks south and it starts to get sketchy. I would live there though. Clark Park is great and Baltimore Ave is very up and coming.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,209 times
I am thinking of moving to Philly too. Not easy to chose a place from distance. Not sure whether it is the right move either, but it is a very possible alternative.

I just discovered this site and I find it amazing that you guys make time to respond and help strangers here, with your knowledge of the city. A big thank you.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad1221 View Post
What about 47th and Chester? Looking at an apartment in the area and was wondering what the neighborhood is like.
It's not bad. I've noticed there's a big difference in how houses are kept up between Springfield and Chester - things start to get more run-down looking on 47th & Chester as opposed to 47th & Springfield. And in my recent apartment research, it seemed like Chester had a few more muggings than north of there, within the Cedar Park neighborhood. I know plenty of nice people who would think nothing of living at 47th & Chester, but in my apartment search I decided to draw the line at Springfield. But I'm moving with someone who is already a little skittish about city living, so I couldn't be too adventurous. I wouldn't say to someone "Never ever live there" - it's just kind on the line where SW Philly starts to get sketchier. Spend a little time there - see if it's in your comfort level. IMHO.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:44 AM

6 posts, read 8,414 times
What about Baltimore and 45th? I know its only a few blocks away from chester, but I also know in west philly neighborhoods can change quickly.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:58 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Things only change "quickly" if you're driving through a neighborhood at 25mph. Unless you're crossing a set of RR tracks or a major arterial things don't change as quickly as some would like to say.

Crime-wise, bad stuff can and does happen anywhere in the city. It happens more often in bad neighborhoods but unless you stay up all night glued to the police scanner or you pore over the police blotters online I wouldn't pay too much attention to the sensational stories that get cherry picked by the media.

Stay north of the regional rail tracks and you'll be OK.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:04 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
What about Baltimore and 45th? I know its only a few blocks away from chester, but I also know in west philly neighborhoods can change quickly.

Focus on the area between 40th and 44th street between Baltimore and Chestnut

Old 04-20-2013, 11:40 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Quote:
45th and Baltimore is great. I'd highly suggest. Don't listen to this nonsense about staying in between 40th and 44th

Old 04-20-2013, 01:15 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
It's fine. Staying east of 44th St as previously suggested would put in the middle of Penn students which may not so be great when it's time to get some sleep on a weeknight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia